Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Stripped bolt (need help asap)

Subru

Im trying to remove the bolt for the rear strut and it was so tight I stripped it. How should I go about getting it off?

Should I get a shop to remove it properly and replace it or can I do it somehow?

I presume the other side is like it too...

need help asap... lol

3 minutes ago, calebwrx said:

Did you strip the nut or the bolt? If you stripped the bolt as you're saying try removing the nut instead (the way you should have done it first tbh lol), make sure you have the socket on it properly. 

I mean the nut... lol

The socket was on it properly was it was a semi long socket and when I was loosening with breaker bar it went at an angle which was far from ideal...

Might get my mate to weld an old socket onto the nut and then get it off.

9 minutes ago, loner said:

Which bolt?

the nut/bolt joining the bottom of the rear strut to the control arm or whatever its called.

Just now, sobanoodle said:

I am guessing the bottom strut bolt?

I had some issues with those before, might get bloody tight. I just used a grinder and replacement bolt&nut if breaker bar wasn't of much help :D

Okay, where did you get new nut and bolt from?

Replacement struts came with them. Guessing Bolt shop might work for you, or wreckers/pick'a'part. 

The only issue would be that newer Impreza/Legacy have a smaller bolt there, won't be as common as older ones.

hmm okay, might have to buy a genuine one from Subaru...

Just google what size it is and get them from your nearest bolt shop. 

Okay ill take a look

Just now, loner said:

You can find them lying all over the ground a pick a part. They don't even bother charging for them.

okay Im going to lower hutt right now so I might cruise in and take a look if i have time

Can I ask what type of socket you are using on it?  (it's a good idea to use an impact socket when using a breaker or rattle gun)

use a 6 sided impact socket when undoing the bottom bolts - will stop you rounding the ends 

099198853819lg.jpg 

Don't use the 12 sided ones - I found out the hard way lol 

099198854588.jpg

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, ADIKT said:

Can I ask what type of socket you are using on it?  (it's a good idea to use an impact socket when using a breaker or rattle gun)

use a 6 sided impact socket when undoing the bottom bolts - will stop you rounding the ends 

099198853819lg.jpg 

Don't use the 12 sided ones - I found out the hard way lol 

099198854588.jpg

yea I never use 12 sided ones.

I was using a 6 sided socket (not the impact one) I was going to buy an impact gun but never got around to it... :(

• Admin

Plus don't rush it. I always have the breaker bar on the bolt side jammed up in the body somewhere and the pipe over the breaker bar on the nut side. That way I'm not having to worry about the bolt side so can use two hands to kinda push the socket towards the nut at the same time as down/up

You got a pic of how bad it actually is? Powerbuilt make these weird sockets that supposedly still grip on nuts that are up to 85% F***ed. Got a free set myself but haven't yet ruined a nut enough to need them so can't comment on how well they actually work

1 minute ago, Andy_Mac said:

Plus don't rush it. I always have the breaker bar on the bolt side jammed up in the body somewhere and the pipe over the breaker bar on the nut side. That way I'm not having to worry about the bolt side so can use two hands to kinda push the socket towards the nut at the same time as down/up

uhh I see, if I had kept the breaker bar perfectly parallel to the nut it probably wouldn't have rounded but I was using both hands to pull and I think it went at an angle and was not properly on the nut... xD:( 

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

You got a pic of how bad it actually is? Powerbuilt make these weird sockets that supposedly still grip on nuts that are up to 85% F***ed. Got a free set myself but haven't yet ruined a nut enough to need them so can't comment on how well they actually work

I got a set as a "just in case"

I've never actually had to use them yet

20161128_173529_zpszi20rzce.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ADIKT said:

I got a set as a "just in case"

I've never actually had to use them yet

20161128_173529_zpszi20rzce.jpg

hmm im not sure, i think the nut is past being saved...

I might get my mate to weld an old socket onto the nut and then undo it, probably the only way...

4 minutes ago, Dazz01 said:

I might get my mate to weld an old socket onto the nut and then undo it, probably the only way...

Invest in an impact socket set also

I have this exact one and have used it alot

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/Stanley-Impact-Socket-Set-1-2-Drive-Metric-Deep-11-Piece/342109 

2 minutes ago, Dazz01 said:

LOL

I dont know how much they cost but I was thinking 50-150?

The ones from supercheap are OK for general work, I have one. They can remove most suspension bolts but they can't handle rusted ones very well. You won't find anything of much quality for less.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/Rockwell-ShopSeries-Cordless-Impact-Wrench-1-2-18-Volt-Li-Ion/342595

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dazz01 said:

LOL

I dont know how much they cost but I was thinking 50-150?

Cant help you with impact guns - My air gun was given to me by a friend

Google should be able to help you find a good one

I barely use my impact gun though. 

My breaker bar get the most use (mines 500mm 1/2") 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dazz01 said:

Try those things, I have some similar ones and they are teh shizz!

I've had them since my Valiant days, if you think anything is stuck on a Subie, think again, a Valiant has had 25 more years of abuse to really f#$k things up!

I have often seen those weird powerbuilt sockets and wondered if they actually worked. I love my rattlegun and 6 sided impact sockets for suspension work.

Depending on how much access you have to the stripped nut, i would try a few things myself. Hammering on a smaller socket, a hammer and chisel to try and turn it (or cut it off), or just plain old cutting it off with a death wheel or dremel.

I see a few of these around too and also wondered if they work for cutting off rounded nuts. Havent really needed one so far.

41au92chKPL._SY300_.jpg

You can get these from bunnings too, seem to be rated fairly highly (although once again havent had a need for them myself). They use a reverse spiral so they get tighter as you try and loosen them.

51ju5PbmuZL.jpg

Edited by KwS