Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Strange noise from rear of car. EDIT: Wheel bearing - video of my idiocy uploaded

TonyG

Hey, my 04' Legacy (AT) has been making a strange sound recently. It's persistent at basically any speed, long as the cars moving. From inside the car it sounds like a womping noise, wind down the window and stick your head out and it sounds like a clinking noise, vaguely coming from the drivers side rear tyre. The sound gets louder and faster as the car accelerates, or decelerates (with brakes or engine braking). I just had four new tyres put on the car today (225/40). I've had it aligned since I got the car, which originally never made the noise.

I have a video of the clinking noise that I'll try to put on YouTube now.

EDIT:

Edited by TonyG

Wheel Bearing?

Sounds consistent with one but maybe something rubbing also?

Hard to figure out without physically seeing it. Take it back to the place where you got the Tyres done just so they can chuck it up on a hoist or jack it up at home and have a look underneath 

14 minutes ago, Joker said:

I vote shock knock

I couldn't find any threads or posts online of it happening to a Legacy. It does have Bilstein shocks, and from what I've read the harder rear shocks tend to have this issue?

I suppose, any suggestions for rear coil overs? If the fix works, I want to just replace them with coil overs before I have to do this all over.

Edited by TonyG

• Admin

Na won't be shock knock. Thats was too consistant to be shock knock. Especially since that seemed to be a rather flat road. Could be a wheel bearing but more likely to be something rubbing. Something hitting the plastic inner wheel well would probably sound like a whomping with windows closed and ticking with them open.

All you can really do is take it back to the tyre place for a check or get it up on some ramps or jackstands and check everything underneath yourself. Sure most tyre places wouldn't have an issue with giving it a quick check over if its suspected to be an issue that is potentially a result of the new tyres.

1 minute ago, Andy_Mac said:

Na won't be shock knock. Thats was too consistant to be shock knock. Especially since that seemed to be a rather flat road. Could be a wheel bearing but more likely to be something rubbing. Something hitting the plastic inner wheel well would probably sound like a whomping with windows closed and ticking with them open.

All you can really do is take it back to the tyre place for a check or get it up on some ramps or jackstands and check everything underneath yourself. Sure most tyre places wouldn't have an issue with giving it a quick check over if its suspected to be an issue that is potentially a result of the new tyres.

I had the noise before I changed the tyres as well. I'll take it back in (his shop is just down the road, I really should plug him as he's incredible with deals, got me my set for $660 on original quoted deal a while back). I've had a look myself around the wheel briefly with the car jacked up but I didn't see anything at the time. I guess I'll re-check it.

45 minutes ago, snowflake009 said:

I recently had my rear wheel bearings go. Had a similar ticking noise from outside and a temperamental growling noise inside the cabin that got worse over time. Cheap and easy fix too!

Just to clarify, I'm not sure if the sound changes when putting load on the tyres, it's kind of hard to at the rear. But the sound seems pretty consistent and pretty much exactly how you explained it.

Where should I go for bearing replacement? It can't hurt to replace them and see what happens. Annnd do I need to replace the hub, or just the bearing? Because the hub sets are pricey.

Edited by TonyG

I got the parts from a local Subaru mechanic and fitted them myself. BNT could possibly have them. From memory the rear hubs where around $180 for both (not genuine Subaru but apparently better)  Not sure about just the bearings as I just went for the complete hub. Any good mechanic should do it as its a common problem with these Legacys

27 minutes ago, snowflake009 said:

I got the parts from a local Subaru mechanic and fitted them myself. BNT could possibly have them. From memory the rear hubs where around $180 for both (not genuine Subaru but apparently better)  Not sure about just the bearings as I just went for the complete hub. Any good mechanic should do it as its a common problem with these Legacys

[0882-B13MR] - REAR WHEEL HUB

I found these, FEBEST ones. Around $110/ea

12 hours ago, snowflake009 said:

Im not familiar with the brand but they look like the the ones

Well. I don't know how the F*** I missed this when I had the tyres changed. Unless the bearing completely gave way after they were changed, giving it more play. It did get very loud today... Putting second-hand hub on it right now until I can get a new part for it.

I am an idiot. :) Enjoy the funny video.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, loner said:

Who put those wheels on and didn't tell you the wheel was about to fall off?

When the wheels got put on it had no play at all, just the noise, and it never made the sound on weight distribution to the rear wheel. Today at some point, or late yesterday it must have just sheared itself to pieces finally. Or... my tyre guy really did somehow miss it, which I don't know how to feel about since he's been a gem for me, and everyone I know for a long time.

I want to keep these videos visible somewhere on the site to help the lesser knowledgeable like me the sound it can make on these cars. I had YouTubed wheel bearing issues on Subaru's before but nothing I found sounded quite like this.

Edited by TonyG

4 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

I've heard a lot of negative feedback about Febest. Really get what you pay.

I had a mixed result when ordering stuff from them for my partners car (Mazda Familia SP20). Got all the correct details for the car, ordered the bushings and 2 turned out to be the wrong ones. Only realized when trying to fit them in and would work. Were reasonably cheap, wouldn't order from them again.

29 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

I had a mixed result when ordering stuff from them for my partners car (Mazda Familia SP20). Got all the correct details for the car, ordered the bushings and 2 turned out to be the wrong ones. Only realized when trying to fit them in and would work. Were reasonably cheap, wouldn't order from them again.

The feedback I've heard was more about quality.

5 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

The feedback I've heard was more about quality.

Thats interesting because the bushes at the back of the arms that I replaced needed to be replaced at the next  warrant. I thought it was something I did  when reinstalling them, maybe it was just bad quality

27 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Thats interesting because the bushes at the back of the arms that I replaced needed to be replaced at the next  warrant. I thought it was something I did  when reinstalling them, maybe it was just bad quality

Did a little bit of searching. http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/products/subaru_legacy_2004 These ones seem to pop up a lot, that or TIMKEN https://www.amazon.com/Timken-HA590119-Axle-Bearing-Assembly/dp/B000IYEM8E. Read the OEM Subaru hub assemblies and bearings aren't worth it.

I still see people complaining about noise coming on after 4,000+ KM's, but this has to be case-by-case with a lot these wheel hub assemblies.

On 09/12/2016 at 10:37 AM, TonyG said:

Well. I don't know how the F*** I missed this when I had the tyres changed. Unless the bearing completely gave way after they were changed, giving it more play. It did get very loud today... Putting second-hand hub on it right now until I can get a new part for it.

I am an idiot. :) Enjoy the funny video.

Haha wow that could have turned out real bad. glad you got it sorted 😅