Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Baby Seats.

Hey guys, boring subject I know. 

I have come to the stage of my life where I need some knowledge on baby seats! I'm certain there are some on here that have baby seats in their cars.
I already have a capsule, but my daughter will be moving into a new car seat when she turns 6 months old in February. I own a 2001 WRX Wagon and my front passenger seat is pretty much all the way forward when my daughter is in the back. The wife seems to think that we may need a bigger car :-(
What I want to know is, what car and what baby seat you are using. It would be even better if any of you with kids that have a version 7 Impreza could let me know which seats you are using.

Pictures (not of your kids), but of your (empty) car seats in the back to show what room you have would be even better! 

P.S. I'll be waiting for the "Leave them at home" jokes. :-)

We used/are using Maxi Cosi CabrioFix capsule with the Easy Base 2 and all our kids fitted them till after 12months+ (Just incase you didn't want to move your daughter into a carseat just yet) The front seats don't have to be right forward to fit them too.

We also have a Diono Radian RXT and a Cosco Scenera that both fit nicely in Clint's old gf8 and current gc8.

Edited by evowrxwifey

We use Mountain Buggy Protect capsule and ISO-fix base (don't think ver7 have ISO-fix?). Were perfectly fine in BLE Legacy sedan with the front seat at normal position, definitely fine in BR9 Legacy but these are huge.

Once he's too big for it (pretty soon) we jump straight into Recaro Monza Nova IS which is a front facing seat (9-35kg), doesn't take that much room being a front facing seat. ISO-fix only though.

You can pop into Baby on the move and try a few seats and see what fit.

PS: once you know what seat you want consider importing it - the Recaro we have sells in NZ for almost $700. I imported it from Germany for less than $400 including DHL shipping. No taxes/duties since the total is under $400 threshold. Also muuuuch more to choose from over there.

Edited by sobanoodle
  • Like 1

Bought one several weeks ago for when we have our 7 month old grandson to transport around http://www.babycity.co.nz/maxi-cosi-vello-65-car-seat-black.html

Upper side of the range as far as price is concerned but you don't want to take short cuts with these. Easy to swap between the STi and the wife's Jeep Cherokee and uses ISOFIX points as well as the seat belt in the rear facing configuration. Has standard anchor mounts for when they are older and seat can face forwards.

IMG_4488_zpsmk9hdua0.jpg

IMG_4489_zpsgjf6s762.jpg

He's obviously too young at the moment to utilise the drink bottle holders :laugh:

I don't think Foresters are any bigger than same generation Imprezas - same chassis essentially, might have a bit more head room but doubt there's much gain in leg room/distance between seats. Same tiny boots too. 

All about personal preferences and ideas of comfort and safety - your own and your passengers, including the most tiniest ones.

sardines-can-d-illustration-partially-op

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G B said:

Bought one several weeks ago for when we have our 7 month old grandson to transport around http://www.babycity.co.nz/maxi-cosi-vello-65-car-seat-black.html

Upper side of the range as far as price is concerned but you don't want to take short cuts with these. Easy to swap between the STi and the wife's Jeep Cherokee and uses ISOFIX points as well as the seat belt in the rear facing configuration. Has standard anchor mounts for when they are older and seat can face forwards.

IMG_4488_zpsmk9hdua0.jpg

IMG_4489_zpsgjf6s762.jpg

He's obviously too young at the moment to utilise the drink bottle holders :laugh:

Pretty sure there needs to be a bit of space between the child seat the front seat. Think what happens to the passenger after a frontal impact. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, loner said:

Pretty sure there needs to be a bit of space between the child seat the front seat. Think what happens to the passenger after a frontal impact. 

Nope actually some carsest's when r/f are allowed to be heavily braced against the front seat. Depends what carseat you have.

There's a facebook group nz carseat discussion where they have trained carseat techs and police running the page to answer all your carseat q's.

4 hours ago, evowrxwifey said:

Nope actually some carsest's when r/f are allowed to be heavily braced against the front seat. Depends what carseat you have.

There's a facebook group nz carseat discussion where they have trained carseat techs and police running the page to answer all your carseat q's.

Of course!!!

4 hours ago, G B said:

Passenger seat is moved forward when occupied. Seat only goes in when needed and 99% of the time, wife sits in the back too.

Sweet, not judging or anything... better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah, we've been on a couple of decent road/ day trips with three car seats on the back of the coupe. It's usually the Legacy that is suited up for bus service though. The kids like riding in the coupe, and the noise handily puts them to sleep on long stints =]

On the subject of car seats; don't get scaremongered out of looking at second hand seats. The touted 'lifespans' of kids seats is ridiculous; mainly for the benefit of people who sell car seats. How long do the seats and belts that come in your car from the factory safely last for ...

• Like 1

Thank all of you for your great feedback guys! All really helpful!
@sobanoodle I have ISO-fix, may do the same as you and order one from somewhere else after trying them out ;-) I think we looked at the same model in Baby on the Move for future reference when we were getting the the newborn capsules.

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 7:39 PM, GC8E2DD said:

Yeah, we've been on a couple of decent road/ day trips with three car seats on the back of the coupe. It's usually the Legacy that is suited up for bus service though. The kids like riding in the coupe, and the noise handily puts them to sleep on long stints =]

On the subject of car seats; don't get scaremongered out of looking at second hand seats. The touted 'lifespans' of kids seats is ridiculous; mainly for the benefit of people who sell car seats. How long do the seats and belts that come in your car from the factory safely last for ...

Cops do check the seats though so its just one those things. Some places its safe to do 140km/h but the limit is 100km/h...

• Like 1