Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Theft prevention tactics

Batbaruman

A mate's "professionally" installed alarm really opened my eyes as to how easy it can be done. He drowned his remote so we needed to bypass the alarm and it took us all of 2 minutes.

Also side note; we had a mates paddock racer going missing (2L n/a impreza). No battery or gas, 4 flat or popped tires, rwd/welded diff with 1 snapped axle, almost if not every panel dented. Why would you...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pl0x said:

A mate's "professionally" installed alarm really opened my eyes as to how easy it can be done. He drowned his remote so we needed to bypass the alarm and it took us all of 2 minutes.

Also side note; we had a mates paddock racer going missing (2L n/a impreza). No battery or gas, 4 flat or popped tires, rwd/welded diff with 1 snapped axle, almost if not every panel dented. Why would you...

When it comes to "professional" installation, you really only get what you pay for. If you want them to remove your dash to bury the module and incorporate its wiring into your factory looming that'll cost a whole lot more money as it takes a lot of time. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2017 at 5:37 PM, 1randomkiwi said:

3ux1kd1f.njx.jpg
For those who want the added security. Very affordable.

actrually considering atm, reckon it could work for remote areas, or they'll just still jack up car and put them on those dolly lift things if they wanted?

on another note, hypothetically if ones battery backup siren seemed to be running quietly, what would one do to make this louder? battery is replaceable?

• General Member

ya want the ones that cover your nuts tbh otherwise too easy, ppl ignore sirens all the time, good gps (ambo at bottom of the cliff) would be better to recover & hopefully pin it on someone should the event ever happen

• Like 1

• Admin
On 23/02/2017 at 11:02 PM, Batbaruman said:

actrually considering atm, reckon it could work for remote areas, or they'll just still jack up car and put them on those dolly lift things if they wanted?

on another note, hypothetically if ones battery backup siren seemed to be running quietly, what would one do to make this louder? battery is replaceable?

Waste of time... they'll just open your boot, take out the jack and spare and put it on the car, throw the clamped wheel in the boot and drive off.

• Like 3

On 2/27/2017 at 2:14 PM, boon said:

Waste of time... they'll just open your boot, take out the jack and spare and put it on the car, throw the clamped wheel in the boot and drive off.

Throw out jack and spare and replace with tyre goo and rely on AA/insurance roadside assistance? :P 

This something I've thought about ever since my b4 got stolen and the general conclusion of 'if they really want it they will get it' always seems to recurr. 

A good alarm - err well installed well optioned alarm with at least one kill switch and a gps tracker are great for piece of mind but in the end i doubt it would stop someone determined to steal my car. 

I'd had an idea a while back but never really left the concept stage, but my idea was to create a removeable section of the motor loom that was plug n play by removing a section of the wiring somewhere not ultra obvious but also not impossible to get to (for useage) and have a plug made up for either end of the harness on either side of the removed section and then have a plug in replacement section that was originally removed with corresponding plugs so that you could physically make the car undriveable by removing said section of wiring and taking it with you. 

Was just an idea i had floating around. 

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Prodrivebugeye said:

This something I've thought about ever since my b4 got stolen and the general conclusion of 'if they really want it they will get it' always seems to recurr. 

A good alarm - err well installed well optioned alarm with at least one kill switch and a gps tracker are great for piece of mind but in the end i doubt it would stop someone determined to steal my car. 

I'd had an idea a while back but never really left the concept stage, but my idea was to create a removeable section of the motor loom that was plug n play by removing a section of the wiring somewhere not ultra obvious but also not impossible to get to (for useage) and have a plug made up for either end of the harness on either side of the removed section and then have a plug in replacement section that was originally removed with corresponding plugs so that you could physically make the car undriveable by removing said section of wiring and taking it with you. 

Was just an idea i had floating around. 

"Taking some vital parts out of the loom" is essentially exactly what an immobilizer circuit in an alarm does. Just relies on the alarm being installed well (aka hidden and the cuts done intelligently) and the benefit is you just take the alarm remote with you instead of a hunk of loom...

28 minutes ago, boon said:

Taking some vital parts out of the loom" is essentially exactly what an immobilizer circuit in an alarm does. Just relies on the alarm being installed well (aka hidden and the cuts done intelligently) and the benefit is you just take the alarm remote with you instead of a hunk of loom...

You are right, but in seeing as a lot of the previous disscussions talked about how easy it is to bypass the immobilisers, if you physically remove a section of the wiring it then means that not only do they have to defeat the alarms immobilisers they then also have to replicate the wiring you have removed because there is a section physically missing they would then need to provide wiring and the time to bridge the removed section in order to get the car running again which would aso look quite suss rather than joining wires etc under the dash/alarm brain inside the car not attracting attention. 

Depending on the location of the removed loom as well of course

Edited by Prodrivebugeye

• Admin
40 minutes ago, Prodrivebugeye said:

You are right, but in seeing as a lot of the previous disscussions talked about how easy it is to bypass the immobilisers, if you physically remove a section of the wiring it then means that not only do they have to defeat the alarms immobilisers they then also have to replicate the wiring you have removed because there is a section physically missing they would then need to provide wiring and the time to bridge the removed section in order to get the car running again which would aso look quite suss rather than joining wires etc under the dash/alarm brain inside the car not attracting attention. 

Depending on the location of the removed loom as well of course

Immobilisers are only easy to bypass because most installers are lazy/incompetent and install both sides of the cut in the same place.

If you remove a large section of a few key wires and replace them at each end with either side of an immobiliser circuit you have effectively achieved the same thing but you don't have to faff around with removing and reinstalling a lump of cable every time you want to use the car.

I'm not saying your way won't work, just that the same thing can be achieved with far more convenience with a properly installed alarm.

I mean, you could put quick release clips on the intake manifold and take that away with you every time you left the car alone, and that would surely stop someone driving it away, but the inconvenience would mean you didn't always do it.

2 hours ago, boon said:

but the inconvenience would mean you didn't always do it.

true and thats the key here.  its gotta be practical, plus people are bound to see you doing that at some point and that'll straight away give them clues of what they might have to do.

in anyt case, i have had a look under my dash steeering column area and cant see any obvious alarm stuff so guessing whoever installed mine done a good job. i've put some of those gps tracker stickers on and am gps tracking by secret means but have sort of resigned from doing much more as seems if they want to steal it, it really won't take long to load it up on trailer no matter what i do.

2 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

what is a disconnecting lock?

Thinks he just means disconnecting locks on the inside of the door - so they still apear on the outside, but if forced with a screwdriver they dont actualy work

(gota have a central locking alarm installed for it to work but super good idea)

• Like 2

• General Member

yep physically remove the link from the key barrel to the internal locking mech is an option but dumb if you get flat battery

have seen rear door handles fitted to front doors on BG legacys & still kept the keyless entry feature (effectivley deleted key holes

• Like 2