Batbaruman

Theft prevention tactics

92 posts in this topic

people often join the forum to figure out this 'feature'

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Joker said:

people often join the forum to figure out this 'feature'

Oh really?
Haha. I just popped the boot with my key and had a look at the locking mechanism.
Saw the switch that said Opener Cancel, flipped it and done.

......they walk amongst us

there's also a switch on the steering wheel for those park lights you just cant turn off (often after cleaning the interior of your car)

3 people like this

LED park lights FTW!
Leave them on all night, no problems.

2 people like this

I am more concerned about the common crims rather than the professionals hence why certain approaches appeal to me more. :) 

On 12/03/2017 at 2:32 PM, swamp said:

I love the idea of disconnecting locks so thus rendering screwdriver boiz useless. 

Only amateurs/useless crims screwdriver Subaru doors, why dick about with the lock when you can just pull on the window and stick your arm in?

1 person likes this

Currently looking at an STi, the first was was a wee bit modded and my long time insurance company (AMI after years of no claims) threw a fit and wouldn't touch it... Grrr.

Anyway during my search for an insurer immobilizers came up, how good are the factory ones on the NZ new models? I imagine the typical alarm ones are all installed in the same location and easy to bypass. Anyone recommend a good alarm installer?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, KonKon said:

Currently looking at an STi, the first was was a wee bit modded and my long time insurance company (AMI after years of no claims) threw a fit and wouldn't touch it... Grrr.

Anyway during my search for an insurer immobilizers came up, how good are the factory ones on the NZ new models? I imagine the typical alarm ones are all installed in the same location and easy to bypass. Anyone recommend a good alarm installer?

The factory immobilizers are, generally speaking, bloody awesome. There's a cryptographic conversation between the key and the ECU, similar to your swipe card that gets you into work, and if that doesn't line up you're not going anywhere.

Aftermarket alarm companies, generally speaking, would have you believe otherwise, but unless there's a flaw in the implementation (see cars in Europe being nicked by enrolling another key/fob via the diagnostic port) the factory ones are very, very good.

Aftermarket ones can be installed just about anywhere the installer can be bothered, which means a lot of lazy dickheads just install them by the steering column, where, as you say, they are easily bypassed.

Installer-wise... depends heavily on your location :)

2 people like this

I've always quite liked the idea of an ignition coil wired up under the drivers seat so if it's cranked with the alarm live, you get a decent belt in the arse cheeks! 

2 people like this

13 minutes ago, subaru_boxer said:

https://new.grabone.co.nz/automotive/automotive-accessories/p/car-wheel-clamp-2

Cheap $20 each Car Wheel Clamp or  Steering Wheel Lock, hopefully should put most amateurs off their menu.

A $20 wheel clamp :/ I'd back myself to have that thing off in under a minute.

As for steering wheel locks.... if that $20 special is even hardened steel I would be surprised, but the shitbags will just cut your steering wheel, cos it's definitely not hardened steel.

2 people like this

Yeah didn't we have a member last year where they simply hacksawed his steering wheel? Think it's safe to say that's an option not worth considering but I guess it should be off-putting to the random opportunistic types

STi Factory Immobiliser - I've read that only the NZ new STi's have immobilisers and the JDM's don't. But that seems odd as my 2003 Outback import has a chip based immobiliser.

Does anyone know from what year the NZ STi had a factory immobilizer fitted? And the same for JDM, I assume they must be fitted as standard by now.

1 person likes this

They're not factory fitted. They're what's called port fitted. Literally fitted at the port before delivery to the dealer. It's just a retrofit kit, and nowhere near as good as the factory immobilisers in the Legacys. 

3 people like this

afaik every nz new sti from the v4 on has had an alarm/immobiliser fitted.

as boostin said, usually a locally fitted mongoose in the gc/gd, not sure on gr etc.

When did the Data dot thing come in?

for nz sti, version 8

;)

2 people like this