Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Your first car you bought*

SpeedySub

I see we have had "your first performance car"

But what was the first ever car you brought, with your own hard earn money?

My first car was a 1980 MK4 Cortina with a mighty 1600cc pinto engine. Loved that car, even though it was under powered and a bit of a dog. Still miss it to this day.

yUOGr6F.jpg

(not my actual car, but same colour and style)

• Like 1

1972 Datsun B110 (Datsun 1200) four door sedan. 

Paid a whopping  $500 for it when I was 14. Was the beginning of a 20 year love affair with the brand that I've only recently managed to shake. Pretty much have always had a Datsun of some degree since then until a few years ago (although 90% of the time they were off the road) and would jump straight back into one if the prices weren't getting so silly..

My old 1200 2 door wagon

1512616_790800540935112_1127675067_n.jpg

• Like 2

ahh what a nostalgic topic, just took me back 11 years back mate! my first ever car was a 1991 Toyota MR2 G Ltd, 5 spd manual n/a. i was 16 years old at the time and it was the best bad decision i ever made. slaved so hard for it through various odd jobs, paperboy duties and a retail job that robbed me of social life and crushed my soul but every time i went out for a ride life was just right..nothing i've driven has given me quite as much of a thrill as this little n/a beast until recently when i got the STI. the prospect of driving it anywhere would excite me so much, i felt like a real race car driver when getting in to it. my dream car was a ferrari 355 and i think whenever i looked at this toyota, i saw a ferrari, atleast thats how i felt B|

shortly after getting it i remember pretty quickly blowing another few grand on upgrading the sounds, getting some upgraded TRD shocks and ofcourse the mandatory pod filter install which probably made it breathe hot air and perform worse.. but it sounded nice. when i got it, it had some economy tyres which when paired with the snap oversteer qualities of this poor mans ferrari and a throttle happy teenager was quite a deadly combination. after spinning out one too many times even at very moderate speeds, i ended up buying some skyline GTS mags off a mate in the MR2Club and wrapping them in T1Rs which kept me alive for the remaining 3 years i had the car before changing to a more 'mature' car with more doors/seats, no leaks and less k's.

only real downside was that it had leaky targa tops which leaked back even after replacing the seals so in rainy weather i'd always have to sit on some plastic bags to keep my butt dry.

wish i had taken more photos!

Mr2bMk0.jpg

NrJWTno.jpg

• Like 4

16 years old, 1989 Nissan Silvia K's - Manual Turbo - this was before drifting was big here - it cost me a 3000 in tidy factory condition

didn't tell my parents it was a turbo - crashed it about 4 times over the 6months it was alive for in my ownership hahaha

nissan%20silvia%20k's%20turbo%20coupe%20

• Like 3

1935 Morris 8...Yes 8hp at the crank..Wire wheels..Suicide front doors..

Paid $60 for it and sold it for $200 after thrashing it for a year..

Taught myself to drive it and drove to MOT for licence test..Fortunately passed test otherwise I would have had to wait for cop to go to lunch before I could drive home..

• Like 4

• Admin

1996 Toyota Carib BZ Touring - 1.8L 7AFE AWD 5spd Manual

Cost me $3200 with under 90,000km on the clock. Bought it when I passed my full license so I could learn to drive a manual.

Fantastic car, it went anywhere, snow, riverbeds, paddocks, gravel. Would happily own another one.

57481567.jpg

P10 Nissan Primera sedan...this was over 10 years ago. I somehow developed an irrational obsession with Primeras...think it started when I read something about the sr20 engine and how reliable it was and easy to modify and the fat that pretty much every nissan of the era has the same engine so parts were easy to come by.

Loved the car, but only had it a few months before my brother wrote it off. Flash forward and due to my wife having a family car and being a supporter of public transport, I didn't actually buy another car until we bought the 2.0i BP for my wife last year and my 3.0r this year.  My wife's dad is Subaru man and we had their 2.5L 2001 B4 sedan for a while which is how I shook my Primera obsession and caught the Subaru bug...I still miss that car!

1970 Hillman Hunter, same colour as the one below, without the flash Harry vinyl roof!

Taught me a shitload about cars that thing did, like what Ackerman steering geometry is, and how to change a complete diff in 30 minutes...

It managed a 1m42s lap of Ruapuna too, was very not stock at that point tho...:P

IMG_5265-K.jpg

• Like 4

1988 mitzi mirage, 1.3 cyclone with cable shifter box, $400 Loud a.f. With a straightpipe, coby mid resonator and a 2-1 extractor from a Holden cut and welded to the tip.

Full of rust, never saw a warrant in my ownership. Dodgy p.o.s. Swapped it for a set of rims for my honduh

• Like 1

austin-a60-pickup-06.jpg

Had 6 cars before 1st Subaru in 1992 - now on 6th Sub.

1st in 1975,     69 Austin A60 ute   ok from getting from point  A to B , 1st wheels so style / performance didn't matter too much then - good / more convenient for  carting dirt bikes around at the time.

(not actual photo - identical one of it from google)

Edited by Stodart
omission
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...