Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Advice for anyone who loses their keys I the future, it's covered by insurance.

Clam129

So I lost my Key Fob and the cheapest quote I got for a replacement was $890+gst. I ended up calling the insurance and was told that it is covered with no excess charge and/or any affect on your premiums,  it was hidden from me so I suggest if any of you lose your keys in the future give insurance a call for replacement.  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Clam129 said:

I'm with ASB but I know AMI does it too. I got approved for $500 was about to say that I lost two keys but figured it wasn't worth the risk being greedy haha.  AMI gives up to $750 I think. 

Hmm I shall check with AMI.

Even though I have 3 proximity key fobs already :)

27 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

did they cover to replace your cars security / have things recoded or ignition barrel changed or is this purely just for replacement key fob?  just thinking about what happens when someone finds your keys cos im paranoid af like that

Subaru key programming procedure involves pairing the keys with the car's BIU (Body Integrated Unit). All keys that will be used with the car must be present to be coded. This means that if you later find your lost key, it will physically unlock the vehicle but it will not start it without the car being reprogrammed again.

Rather difficult to justify a full key change with "but it might get stolen" since the would-be thief wouldn't be able to start the car anyway.

(If you lose all keys you need a new BIU. Not cheap. Insurance companies know this.)

• Like 1

No, because you have a paper trail with an insurance claim for a lost or stolen key.

If you happen to lose your key and the person who "finds" said key uses it to unlock your vehicle without your permission, that still falls under criminal law - having access to the key does not make the activity less illegal.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2017 at 0:17 AM, Zenki said:

No, because you have a paper trail with an insurance claim for a lost or stolen key.

If you happen to lose your key and the person who "finds" said key uses it to unlock your vehicle without your permission, that still falls under criminal law - having access to the key does not make the activity less illegal.

Batbaruman is not totally wrong. It would be hard to prove that the person used the lost key to steal your car since there's no signs of force entry. And most insurances will try very hard to avoid reimbursing you. It's a very common problem with cars stolen "electronically" (with a computer or other device plugged in the OBD port), victims have a really hard time getting their money back if the car is found with no signs of forced entry.

That being said, it shouldn't be a problem for a lost key since the manufacturer is supposed to erase all the previous keys from the car's memory when they program the new key. And you are supposed to come with all your existing keys so that only these keys can be used for the car.

EDIT : Read a little too fast and saw that you are only talking about ppl stealing the content of the car, it could still be a PITA to get covered in my opinion

Edited by delta
  • Like 2

That's what I thought too @delta .years ago my mate left his keys in the car while on his driveway just letting it cool down after a hard drive, he saw / heard it being driven away seconds later. That activity is not legal but somehow the insurance company got away with it because he told them he left keys in there and according to them he did not do everything in his power to secure it when not in use. Obviously leaving keys in running car is different to keys being stolen / lost and used later but it rang alarm bells in my head 

• Like 2

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, Batbaruman said:

That's what I thought too @delta .years ago my mate left his keys in the car while on his driveway just letting it cool down after a hard drive, he saw / heard it being driven away seconds later. That activity is not legal but somehow the insurance company got away with it because he told them he left keys in there and according to them he did not do everything in his power to secure it when not in use. Obviously leaving keys in running car is different to keys being stolen / lost and used later but it rang alarm bells in my head 

No knock on you but I think that's kind of common sense..  I have push start on my car, when I'm about to leave and need to go back inside for something .. I'm always weary of taking the keys with me and leaving the car running.  Push start will let you drive around without the keys.. never tested how long for but I'm assuming its until you turn the car off again.

• Like 1