Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Springs/suspension

Subru

Im thinking of lowering my car and I have a few thing I would like to get your opinion on (I have virtually no suspension experience xD)

First of all I dont want it too low where it rubs or anything like that so would these be too low? (those wheels might be 18inch so would there be more gap with my 17 inch wheels?) - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/suspension/auction-1262803876.htm

These are adjustable which is cool but should I go full coilover or just stick with a lowering spring? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/suspension/auction-1261066543.htm

Would you recommend any of these? if not what would you recommend me getting?

I prefer to go second hand as its cheaper and I will not have the car for too much longer.

2 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

I really have no knowledge on the hatches but i would have thought the mounting and everything is the same from base model up to sti. cert for just coilovers will be $400-500  

$400-500??? what the F***.

Springs it is... xD 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, willisnz said:

I thought you already had pink springs on the struts you got from Strong's?

yes but I want it a bit lower and tbh, there was a small drop in the back and only a small handling increase. I dont think they were the good pinks, they were not the progressive springs (I think thats what its called) where the spring starts off tightly coiled then becomes more loose with big gaps which is for comfort and good cornering.

1 hour ago, A_J_T said:

I really have no knowledge on the hatches but i would have thought the mounting and everything is the same from base model up to sti. cert for just coilovers will be $400-500  

I just found out GH is the WRX and GR is the Sti so it is wrx stuff which definitely does fit. Im not sure if STI stuff fits, some stuff does but dunno about Struts.

Rear struts are the same, imho they're all the same between BR/BM Legacy and SH forester too, the whole rear end suspesion - arms/swaybars/etc - are the same. I have GR rear swaybar in my BR Legacy wagon.

The front struts will be different between GH and GR, due to GH being 5x100 and GR 5x114.3. Top hats are probably the same stud pattern, the bottom holes will be positioned differently.

• Like 1

adjustable shocks are usually considered a bit of an investment. what with the certification process and time it takes to set them up right to the way you like the feel and looks.

since you arent having the car much longer i recommend either leaving it as it is or going for alternative options

either optino you take, you making suspension changes so if you want it to ride right and get decent tyre wear then also factor int he cost of a 4 wheel alignment which is $89-$129 depending where you go.

9 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

since you arent having the car much longer i recommend either leaving it as it is or going for alternative options

This.

I think doing upgrades on a car you don't plan on keeping long term is throwing money down a hole. Mods probably won't add to the resale value of the car and might even put people off as they will assume it has been thrashed.  So unless you can easily reverse the mods and make money back on selling the parts or they will be usefull to transfer to your new car, I would save my pennies for upgrades to the car you actually want... I wasted a fair amount of money/time on my BH legacy before realising it was silly...

• Like 1

I personally would never buy second hand springs/shocks unless they're like new old stock or from someone trustworthy. Nothing worse than buying old worn out shocks/springs that have done 200+kms on them and they make your car handle worse than what you had on before.. the shocks may leak and just make your car sound and handle like trash. 

Because you aren't gonna have the car for any longer I'd say just go with lowering springs.. go for a no name brand or something dirt cheap.. or at least as dirt cheap as new springs go. 

Obviously if you want to go lower it will cost you a bit more in coil overs + fender work + cert as above people have said. 

3 minutes ago, willisnz said:

This.

I think doing upgrades on a car you don't plan on keeping long term is throwing money down a hole. Mods probably won't add to the resale value of the car and might even put people off as they will assume it has been thrashed.  So unless you can easily reverse the mods and make money back on selling the parts or they will be usefull to transfer to your new car, I would save my pennies for upgrades to the car you actually want... I wasted a fair amount of money/time on my BH legacy before realising it was silly...

my thoughts exactly... only reason why I can see why you'd want to do a suspension upgrade on a car you want to keep for less than 12 months is that maybe to test out a harder set up and see if its for you or not? my MR2 suspension is naffed so when I do swap out the old worn bits for my factory bilstein inserts and eibach springs ill get a good idea if thats something i wanna keep on a future mr2 if any. I know people who have chucked out hard suspension set ups for street coilovers that are pretty soft by comparison.

• Admin

Modifying cars is fun, if we wanted value-for-money we would have bought Evos instead.

Get some springs, chuck them in, make sure you don't rub. Keep the standard ones and put them back in when you go to sell it, at the very least you'll get a couple of afternoons worth of fun working on your car and you can just sell the springs when you move the car on, plus you'll learn a bit about what different changes feel like on the car.

Don't bother with adjusties especially if you're not keeping the car much longer, IMO a whole lot of adjusties probably make the car handle worse than standard, just because it bounces around a whole bunch doesn't make it fast.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, boon said:

Modifying cars is fun, if we wanted value-for-money we would have bought Evos instead.

Get some springs, chuck them in, make sure you don't rub. Keep the standard ones and put them back in when you go to sell it, at the very least you'll get a couple of afternoons worth of fun working on your car and you can just sell the springs when you move the car on, plus you'll learn a bit about what different changes feel like on the car.

Agreed, I think by posting on CS we are self identifying as people who like modding cars:)

I just found myself in a situation where I had spent money and was considering spending more money on my car that I was going to be replacing soon that I wouldn't get back when I sold it, so decided to put that money towards the new car. i.e. further mods on my current car would delay buying my new car and also mean I would have less $$ to spend on modding new car.  Made me realise I should have just bought the car I wanted in the first place rather than a stop gap..

Everyone's situation is different, and springs are easily reversed and you will probably get most of your money back if you revert to stock and sell the springs. And as you say, it will be fun and he will learn a lot from the process.

Taking a further look at these, they look quite low but dont scrape and they are somewhat new. Even if they make my car worse, I would have learnt a lot plus I still have the stock set as well as a wrx strut and sti spring set If I need to change back. I want to see for myself what something like this will do to handling and also the look of the car. Furthering my education... plus modifying cars is fun xD

http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/listing.aspx?id=1262803876

Still haven't decided yet tho xD 

sounds like you really want to give it a crack man, just go with the flow and try it if you're that keen. if was me i would be pressing to try find proof that they were actually done professionally and not cut or anything dodgy. i put 2nd hand ones up front too but it was off a clubsub member who was quite upfront about the condition and history, plus i was able to trace back through his garage thread to confirm the story. without the history, 2nd hand suspension is too much of a gamble.

and whatever you decide to do, if you want to see what it does for handling make sure you get it properly aligned, unless you're just after a bit of that #stancenation looks

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Subru said:

Didnt end up buying em... somehow an 'engineering explained' video put me off... he is such a kill-joy xD 

what was it specifically that put you off, and was it just off buying this pair (imo good choice, i wouildn't buy that pair too as no proof of work done) or just what he said about coilovers being so much better?

Just now, Batbaruman said:

what was it specifically that put you off, and was it just off buying this pair (imo good choice, i wouildn't buy that pair too as no proof of work done) or just what he said about coilovers being so much better?

well a few things, my rear wheels dont have camber adjustment (I think) and would wear rear tyres unevenly and possibly be worse for handling as its quite low (therefore more negative camber and anything above 1-2 degrees is too much). I already have a good set of struts/springs anyway and also what you said about proof of the work weather is was done properly. lastly $350 saved is $350 towards a better car :)

• Like 4