Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP5 Legacy Kenwood to McIntosh Conversion Possible?

legacyspecb

Hi guys, 

I have an 03 Legacy wagon with the base (kenwood) stereo in it. I have an opportunity to buy the McIntosh stereo, amp and speakers with door cards for only $250.

Just wondering if this sort of a conversion is possible or if it isnt worth the hassle?

Thanks,

Sam

1 hour ago, legacyspecb said:

I'm kinda working with a limited budget being a student and all, and fascia kits are not cheap not to mention buying a headunit. 

Does the swap require a new loom, or do they have the same harness on the back?

Get a single din conversion kit instead of a cubby pocket, install a mechless 1DIN stereo in there, upgrade speakers and you're done. Later on can add underseat amp/sub.

If I wanted to do a headunit, I wouldnt want to half-ass it and do a single din headunit. The $250 is for the McIntosh unit with heater controls, all the door speakers and sub, and all the door cards too, so in my opinion it is a far better deal.

My only concern is that I've heard that you need to replace the stereo loom/wiring with the one from the McIntosh system, which sounds time consuming. Is it really necessary? I know that the McIntosh systems run more speakers, but is there anything special about the wiring that has to be run?

Definitely sound quality. When I have compared my system to my friend's McIntosh systems, they sound much better, and there is a massive difference at high volumes. Connectivity wise there is a difference. My Kenwood headunit doesnt have an auxilary option. The only way of adding any extra connectivity is by getting a GROM unit that plugs in and overrides  the cd player. On the McIntosh headunits you can add an auxilary or bluetooth much easier.

41 minutes ago, legacyspecb said:

Definitely sound quality. When I have compared my system to my friend's McIntosh systems, they sound much better, and there is a massive difference at high volumes. Connectivity wise there is a difference. My Kenwood headunit doesnt have an auxilary option. The only way of adding any extra connectivity is by getting a GROM unit that plugs in and overrides  the cd player. On the McIntosh headunits you can add an auxilary or bluetooth much easier.

I've got a GROM in mine and it plugs into the port for the optional CD changer and doesn't override the cd stacker on the unit itself, unless you have a different kenwood to mine possibly 

Yeah I think that you must have a different kenwood unit, there are quite a few different different iterations.

I think I will just go and buy the stuff, could onsell it without too much of a loss if it doesnt work out I reckon......