Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Damage Advice...

So I got some new wheels for my Legacy and straight away noticed a little bit of rub in the rear.

At the advice of a work mate I took the car into a shop in town to get the guards rolled (I won't shame just yet), but yeah they did a pretty S*** job and the rear guards are now in bad shape.

I got a quote to fix the damage and I'm hoping they'll cover the costs, my insurance doesn't want to know as they don't cover workmanship, but what about businesses that work on customers cars, are they insured for such things?

It should be covered by the consumers guarantee act. Can't remember exact details but if they have damaged it then they are liable for repairs. Don't quote me on that but Google it and have a read. It's good to go through anyway just to know your rights when these things happen.

Any business should have at least a limited liability insurance 

Guard rolling is one of those things though... throw up some photos.

Paint chipping etc is to be expected and most/all won't assume any liability for it however anything further 'should' be covered - good luck with this, depending on the extent of the damage I feel that you're going to have a hard time...

• Like 1

• General Member

are they a reputable body shop / one that or know that they know how to use a guard roller? or just a 'mechanic'

sometimes having the tools doesnt mean that they can do the job, you might have been the unlucky first they have done?

always more to the conversation to what we are told, could be like, yeah nah I've seen it done, you sure you want us to try it on your car?

or was it a hammer & dolly kind of job, baseball bat & jack?

either way a shitty situation to be in & going back or starting the discussion with them would be first priority, sometimes (just sometimes) customers (ie people "like" you) can come into my shop & ask for stuff to be done against my recommendations, they insist, so I cut whatever out & they are like "oh that's not right" or "we thought it would look different than that" so I either have to wear it, or make them pay

gets on my goat is all, just saying the customer is 'not' always right aye :P

at the end of the day hope you get it sorted & keep us up to date with how it goes eh

(on another note publicly discussing it can sometimes be detrimental to a resolution so yea also understand a few details being withheld)

edit : there's also no friends in business, even if it was a mates etc, did you pay full price for the job?

• Like 1

• General Member

it gets on it :P

also were you there when the job was done or did you say something as soon as you spotted it?

I know if I did the job I'd pull the customer aside & say "ah you better see this" & we'll have a chat about what we're going to do about it....

Thanks guys, and Joker I'm sorry to hear about your goat :P

Joker is correct it may be foolish of me to disclose too much in the present situation, but suffice to say the company concerned should know better - basically its just poor workmanship. Quote for repair sent and ball is in their court now, will play the waiting game and hope it all gets resolved peacefully.

• Like 2

good luck bro and support your choice to keep it hush hush for now. you want to give them a fair chance without any name calling / abuse to put it right. all my best relationships in business have come from when things have gone wrong, i've pointed them out calmly and given the guys a chance to put it right. it shows me their character and that they're worth investing back in the future when they do right. everyone stuffs up and if they worth my time & money in future they can consider this a chance to earn that. on the other hand, those who don't have as much integrity after a fair chance is given should be named so others can form their own opinions based on your experience. hope yours goes all good !

• Like 5