Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Mechnical vs Electric boost gauge

killervq30de

Theres a lot of reviews out there that say mechanical is more responsive than the electric but they are all old reviews circa 2009-2011.

I would like to get a electric one so I can recall peak boost and have the warning option.. but I don't want it to be laggy.

I'm leaning towards the Prosport EVO ones as it has the nice large PSI number so you are not trying to read count the lines on the traditional clock face.

Any recommendations?  Is Mechanical better, or Electric is good enough plus I get the features I want?  I plan to put the gauge in the Legacy cubby so the vacuum line will have to run that far

vk2y7kt.jpg
sn6bmMk.jpg
xJDnCNe.jpg

Edited by killervq30de

I spent a whole bunch of time researching this when I got my boost gauge, ended up with an AEM electronic:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/electronics/auction-1277302964.htm

I've read mix reviews on the Prosport Electronic, some are lucky and haven't had issues.  Others have had multiple issues with the electric boost sensor and the motor inside the gauge that drives the needle.

Mechanical are pretty simple and do what they're meant to, however depending on what tubing you use for the vacuum line these can get brittle over time, and if you get a kink/bend in the tube the readings will be off.

I decided to go with a digital display on mine, was a lot easier to read and I liked the look of it.

Innovate/Defi also make great gauges.

2 minutes ago, yoUaReABUS said:

I spent a whole bunch of time researching this when I got my boost gauge, ended up with an AEM electronic:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/electronics/auction-1277302964.htm

I've read mix reviews on the Prosport Electronic, some are lucky and haven't had issues.  Others have had multiple issues with the electric boost sensor and the motor inside the gauge that drives the needle.

Mechanical are pretty simple and do what they're meant to, however depending on what tubing you use for the vacuum line these can get brittle over time, and if you get a kink/bend in the tube the readings will be off.

I decided to go with a digital display on mine, was a lot easier to read and I liked the look of it.

Innovate/Defi also make great gauges.

The AEM is more than I wanted to pay, but if its quality its probably worth doing it right the first time... I only plan to do one round of mods (down pipe + tune) so I won't be constantly tinkering with it

Your question should probably read Analogue vs Digital.

Not every analogue gauge is truly "mechanical" i.e boost line is fed directly into it but use a sensor instead which then sends the signal to the gauge. Defi is a good example.   

Had Defi in my old BH5 and planning to install one again soon. 

3 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Your question should probably read Analogue vs Digital.

Not every analogue gauge is truly "mechanical" i.e boost line is fed directly into it but use a sensor instead which then sends the signal to the gauge. Defi is a good example.   

Had Defi in my old BH5 and planning to install one again soon. 

Yeah defi ones I have had have been mint. Just this one I think it's prob the sensor actually. 

• Like 1

for me its definately mechanical

Ive always run a - Auto Meter Sport-Comp Boost/Vac Gauge 

sb1qxj.jpg

Bit pricey (think mine was around high 200s) but the last one I got lasted over 6 years and 4 different cars, only got a brand new one because I sold my previous one with the car

Make sure you run it off its own feed direct off the manifold - most ej20s have a little square headed bolt that holds nothing on and lets you directly into the manifold, i usually take it out - drill a 3mm hole through it and run my boost line off that (im sure you could get a fitting to suit the thread if you dont have a drill)

11 minutes ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Mate has a Prosport Evo in one of his cars.
Really like the design, easy to read display.
Seem like a good package for the price.

o/  Yeah I have mine in my Rx7, I like them. Really like the design. As 1randomkiwi said they are super easy to read, good for track days as you just get a big fat number in your face vs having to read a needle. 

Only downside to them is they don't dim at night. 

The dimming function changes colour not the brightness of the back light. You can manually set the brightness with an included tool. But it's not  something you can do easily.  Requires a little experimentation to get a good light level that's visible during the day and doesn't annihilate your vision at night. 

I just chose mine to match my stock gauge cluster back lighting. You can wire it to be either colour with lights on or off. Or for it to be one colour permanently. 

Otherwise pretty happy with them. 

I have boost and oil pressure. 

Edited by Aurai
Gramatical tweaks

There should be no delay with an electronic gauge unless its rubbish, I run one of the classic STI Genome Defi gauges with the controller and its pretty sweet. 

I also have a couple of the digital Prosport EVO series gauges, Oil pressure and Temp. they are nice but viewing angle is horrible. at night its fine but in the day you cannot make out the numbers unless its setup facing you directly. mine are mounted in one of the radio dins just sitting flat "not orientated towards either driver or passenger" so rather useless during the day.  

Image result for defi genome boost gauge