Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

[solved] Aftermarket sunroof options and places to get it done (AKL) ?

So my car has no AC and doesn't look like there's much space to put AC back.anyone done this before? know where i can get one, what options there are in Auckland?

have an abnormally high metabolism as it is so my base temperatures are pretty wicked and the radiant heat flowing from the front of this car doesn't help.

i like the look of + think this type of sunroof would be ideal in most conditions

sDqy7ho.jpg

can also get RA scoops for about $600, drove in a mates car who has one and that was pretty good but because of its design, i feel it wouldn't be as versatile as the type pictured above. be nice to get one that i can flip up or slide out like in the premium models. not sure what kind of person would install this though and how much that all costs, or who supplies this stuff. any help and even suggestions on what to avoid, plusses and minuses etc. would be appreciated

ps. had a targa top mr2 back in the day, loved it but it leaked. do you still have to worry about leaks these days? will it affect structural integrity in these cars? do i need a cert?

EDIT :

25/June/2017.

hate to leave a thread like this unresolved. we got it done.

Y2OVYIQ.jpg

2DzdqD0.jpg

HS93lQD.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't say sunroof helps THAT much and I still end up using AC instead especially in heavy traffic, great on an open road if you do not mind some extra noise. You also get fried by the sun if it's fully open though having a roof box helps to eliminate that :) 

Another thing, always have that feeling that I forgot to shut it and rush downstairs when it starts raining, a bit of a paranoia :D 

While I like the sunroof in my Premium model, I don't think I've ever get one retro fitted. I can't imagine it being cheap and then you'd need all the electrics to go with it along with a new headlining. And, as you say, a high risk of leaking.

IMHO, best option would be to fit some monsoon strips to the windows and wind them down a little to keep the air flowing throgh the cabin. Much cheaper in the long run.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Another thing, always have that feeling that I forgot to shut it and rush downstairs when it starts raining, a bit of a paranoia :D 

Many times in the summer I would go out to the car in the morning and discover that it had rained over night and I had left the sunroof open:S

• Like 1

interesting, if it doesn't give me the desirable result and total cost is >$1k it would be better in long term to swap to a more practical car  embrace the #becauseracecar lifestyle :(@G B i like the idea of monsoon strips though, had those on my old car and worked perfectly even in the rain, though in traffic conditions the risk is the heat from turbo gets in and makes it even hotter inside lol

edit : oh wait i have frameless doors, window monsoons ain't gonna help

5 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

edit : oh wait i have frameless doors, window monsoons ain't gonna help

What are you on about? My car has factory monsoons, only small ones. They just attach to the body/A-pillar instead of the door on most cars. You can kind of see them in this pic.

e0DREej.jpg?1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IZichard said:

What are you on about? My car has factory monsoons, only small ones. They just attach to the body/A-pillar instead of the door on most cars. You can kind of see them in this pic.

e0DREej.jpg?1

ooh nice i didnt even know they were a standard option! i was just thinking about my old car and how big they were, they were very practical but the door on this car wouldn't open with windows up. how useful are yours at that size?

Just now, Batbaruman said:

ooh nice i didnt even know they were a standard option! i was just thinking about my old car and how big they were, they were very practical but the door on this car wouldn't open with windows up. how useful are yours at that size?

You can have the windows cracked maybe an inch or so and it is all good. That's if you are moving, not sure about if you are sitting in traffic I usually just rock the A/C :P

1 hour ago, IZichard said:

You can have the windows cracked maybe an inch or so and it is all good. That's if you are moving, not sure about if you are sitting in traffic I usually just rock the A/C :P

S401 has little monsoons like that too, and they are so utterly useless, lol. The legacy windows must close higher up, because by the time you have the window open enough there is a gap, its well out of the protection of the monsoons.

• Like 1

• General Member

anyone ever read the warning label on one of them? says do not open or operate it over 100kph (or some such) renderers them pretty much useless no? aka wank factor

also why so many fail / wtb roof scoop threads pop up (lol punny)

• Subscribed Member
2 minutes ago, Joker said:

anyone ever read the warning label on one of them? says do not open or operate it over 100kph (or some such) renderers them pretty much useless no? aka wank factor

Get one from a reputable rally supplier then, as they should be designed to be used in a rally so should easily cope with 200KM/h etc. In theory...

• Like 1

• Admin
46 minutes ago, Joker said:

That's an incorrect translation and not why they break actually. 

Basically the warning is to not OPEN them above 100kp/h, not use. They're more than happy to stay open above 100kph, it's just when muppets like my friend who decided it'd be a great idea to open the roof vent at 110, open it and the wind gets under it all of a sudden creating lots of shock load, which breaks the plastic or in some cases rips the entire thing off. 

Moral of the story, just don't open it over 100kp/h and if you do, just be very careful and hold onto it so it doesn't open with a shock.

• Like 4

Idk why people remove AC from their builds in the first place but i understand we are all different so all to their own. Has AC been completely deleted from yours, condenser, evaporator etc? Imo just put AC back in it, there is no replacement for AC. Keeps your car dry and warm in the winter and cool and pleasant in the summer :cool: 

you dont have a flipped mani or alternator relocated in yours so just move that FPR and plop AC back in, might be a bit of a mission but not impossible. 

15 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

Idk why people remove AC from their builds in the first place but i understand we are all different so all to their own. Has AC been completely deleted from yours, condenser, evaporator etc? Imo just put AC back in it, there is no replacement for AC. Keeps your car dry and warm in the winter and cool and pleasant in the summer :cool: 

you dont have a flipped mani or alternator relocated in yours so just move that FPR and plop AC back in, might be a bit of a mission but not impossible. 

I thought RAs didn't come with AC to save weight and make it more racey? So it wasn't removed, it was never added in?  But I'm a legacy man so don't take my word for it;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, willisnz said:

I thought RAs didn't come with AC to save weight and make it more racey? So it wasn't removed, it was never added in?  But I'm a legacy man so don't take my word for it;)

nah i don't have an RA, couldn't give up on those creature comforts of electric windows and such.. though funny enough couple of my electric window / mirror control buttons are broken so i'm worse off until i fix it haha.. also i think RA does come with AC.

23 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

+1 yep if it was up to me i would have kept it. do not recommend anyone take AC out unless dedicated track car. the weight savings are so minimal. i'm no expert but previous owner said it was a full ac delete so probably a mission to put back in. how hard a job you reckon that would be?  agreed would be useful in this colder weather too, just managing interior fog with rainx anti fog coating for now

got quoted RA scoop for $550 and if anyone knew a reputable installer (mindful of rust, leakage, tidy job inside and out) i could seek out a quote from for labour .. this could be something i would consider in the near future as someone above said for wank factor mainly, but it has its practical purpose in my case too :P

• Like 1

hmmm, why did I think you have an RA...guess I just lump all you STI owners together....yet I could probably describe every single legacy on this forum, who owns it and what mods they have done, haha, priorities right?

Do you still have all the vents in the dash etc..?  I wonder if you would come out at a similar cost to doing roof scoop once install is taken into account? I imagine the A/C parts wouldn't be in particularly high demand so might be relatively inexpensive?