Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Faulty Walbro?

That Guy

Has anybody had any experience with Walbro's not doing what they should?

I installed a second hand (unused) Walbro in the gc8 that seems to be doing some odd S***. Pump seems fine for about 15-20 minutes of driving and then it will start to struggle. First, it is noticeable with sight fuel cutting under boost, then after another 5-10 minutes the pump becomes overly loud and sounds to be struggling. This will then result in more fuel cuts to a point where a limping home above 40kmph is quite the struggle.

Any ideas around this? I have yet to pop it out and investigate further. I hear of people doing some form of wiring mod, not that I know the ins and outs of this as of yet. I would assume that if it was a voltage issue it would be constant and would not kick in after 20 minutes of driving. Also thought along the same lines with a clogged sock, you would also think that this would be constant. I did recycle the original sock as I was under the impression that the Walbro ones are no good in these tanks. I'm open to suggestions. 

Fuel filter should be sweet as that has done less than 200km. I don't really have a reliable way of checking fuel pressure on hand, however, I am fairly resourceful so I could most likely hori something up with duct tape and an old oil pressure gauge I've got floating about.

I don't think I would say that the pump is dying as such, but its the fact that it goes from being bearly noticeable (audibly) when car is running tight, to hella loud and borderline screeching when running rough. I did have one theory about it today which I think may be spot on Bevan.

So the same thing happened last week when I was pretty low on fuel and I could hear that something was banging around in the rear, didn't think much of the noise as I had tools and S*** in the carpetless boot that I figured were rolling about. Anyhow, the car basically stopped so I walked to the nearest gasser and picked up a jerry can, despite having a 1/4 tank left as the fuel pump sounded the same as it is now. More fuel = no worries.  That was last week, haven't used it since until toady. Went and put 30 liters in it before a boost over blue mountains (sweet Hutt valley road) and within 20 minutes I had the same old thing. I figure something weird is going on and the pick up must somehow no longer by fully submerged, hence the screaming of sucking air. That's my theory anyway. Please feel free to cut my down on this!

• Like 1

Is this the one you got from me? Sorry to hear this man!

Pump was brand spanking new when you got it from me, so if it is playing up ill be happy to refund it and send it back to the guy i got it off for replacement

Its a genuine walbro one so you'd think id would be kick ass 

Have you done the usual wiring checks? FP Relay can give up in the high km regions, I remember seeing in your garage thread that you put a new fuel filter in so doubt its that

Wiring under the rear seat, theres a plug which sometimes melts - could be causing bad connection when it heats up

Could try your old FP to see if it makes a difference ? (bit of a mission though)

Plug looks like this under back seat, id take a reading when car is cold (V+) on plug under seat and plug at FP / Resistance on the ground from plug under seat to plug at FP (careful with sparks around fuel tank etc)

Then do the same after a boost when it starts playing up

P1160767.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, That Guy said:

Has anybody had any experience with Walbro's not doing what they should?

I installed a second hand (unused) Walbro in the gc8 that seems to be doing some odd S***. Pump seems fine for about 15-20 minutes of driving and then it will start to struggle. First, it is noticeable with sight fuel cutting under boost, then after another 5-10 minutes the pump becomes overly loud and sounds to be struggling. This will then result in more fuel cuts to a point where a limping home above 40kmph is quite the struggle.

Any ideas around this? I have yet to pop it out and investigate further. I hear of people doing some form of wiring mod, not that I know the ins and outs of this as of yet. I would assume that if it was a voltage issue it would be constant and would not kick in after 20 minutes of driving. Also thought along the same lines with a clogged sock, you would also think that this would be constant. I did recycle the original sock as I was under the impression that the Walbro ones are no good in these tanks. I'm open to suggestions. 

Your right about walbro socks - I was informed to use stock one

Have you checked vacuum lines to your factory FPR ? long shot but maybe

There is a mod to rewire your FP - its straight forward but took my quite awhile - ive got the write up if you send me your email ill send it to you

4 hours ago, THUNDA said:

Is this the one you got from me? Sorry to hear this man!

Pump was brand spanking new when you got it from me, so if it is playing up ill be happy to refund it and send it back to the guy i got it off for replacement

Its a genuine walbro one so you'd think id would be kick ass 

Have you done the usual wiring checks? FP Relay can give up in the high km regions, I remember seeing in your garage thread that you put a new fuel filter in so doubt its that

Wiring under the rear seat, theres a plug which sometimes melts - could be causing bad connection when it heats up

Could try your old FP to see if it makes a difference ? (bit of a mission though)

Plug looks like this under back seat, id take a reading when car is cold (V+) on plug under seat and plug at FP / Resistance on the ground from plug under seat to plug at FP (careful with sparks around fuel tank etc)

Then do the same after a boost when it starts playing up

Oh Hey Bro!

I really do doubt it's the pump unit itself like you say, it was brand new and a genuine unit so I'd be pretty surprised if it was playing up. Turns out I biffed the old pump so no chance of giving that a go lol lol!

I haven't done a single thing in the way of troubleshooting yet, was running semi-late for work so just threw it back in the garage for the time being. Like I posted above, I've got a crazy feeling that the pick up is somehow floating above fuel level due to this random knocking/banging that's going on. Took tools out of the boot today and the same thing happened once or twice so it got me thinking. Pretty rando if it is the case, though, not really sure how it could happen tbh but time will tell once I pop it out. 

I replace the F.P.R vacuum lines last time I had a fueling issue so that should all be sweet. I guess I'm thinking of this floating pick up thing in the sense that it is almost too predictable. Drive for 20 (ish) minutes, the problem occurs, park up for 10 and your good to go, its almost like the pick up needs a little time for resubmerge itself. This seems to be happening like clockwork, much like taking a morning dump. You would expect with an electrical fault that it would be either constant or totally random, but this is almost failing to a schedule. Smoke and mirrors man, smoke and mirrors.

In other great news though, I got a new set of Neuton nt5000's (215/45/17's),  put a degree of negative camber up front and 1mm of toe out in the bum and its f'n rad. After driving the diesel lux for the last year (even though its on big sticky tires) I was simply blown away. Still no legal stickers so didn't go too far, but tight twists where you can't get out of second where absolutely awesome, totally reminded me why I bought it and made the work pay off, even if it was super short-lived! Just got to get this wof thingy sorted so I clock up some miles. Excite!
  • Like 1

The knocking sounds a bit odd, I know what you mean about the electrical side of things but it is possible that your FP relay is getting sticky when it warms up, could be wrong but if you don't figure it out when you pull the pump out, it could be a cheap diagnostic help to rule the relay out (they super cheap to replace) 

the fuel sock / pickup should be submerged 100% of the time in theory, even with driving in tight corners, I've had an rs fuel serge on me around sharp corners - I changed the fuel pump and did the wiring mod and it ended up being a loose connection at the battery ! Lol

• Like 1