Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How do you view your car?

Marky

Title is clickbait

Now I get a bit of grief from workmates for going through cars faster than socks, at least I did till one of them followed suit and started doing the same with the rfb crowd. Basically buying anything underpriced, fixing it up or adding a few cheap things (set of alloys or minor paint work etc), getting a new wof and moving it on, or doing swapz ow for something a bit better. It's well worth the trouble, tho it can confuse the neighbours a bit 

Do you see a car as a commodity to be bought and sold, something to make money from (like property, but on a smaller scale), or do you see it as something to pour cash into and make it just like the one you always daydreamed about and keep it forever? 

• Like 1

I tend to keep my cars. Once I've decided that i'm keeping it, then thats pretty much it. I've been driving for over a decade now, and of all the cars ive had i have only sold 2.

My Legacy is a good example, its not worth a lot, but I bought it on a whim off trademe, and It suits me quite well. It was pretty crappy looking when I got it, and I've spent a fair amount on replacing parts which I know I'd never really get back if I sold it. Given the time and effort i've put towards it, I'd hate to come across it ruined a year later, knowing that all hard work and effort was wasted.

Part of the Riflemans Creed from the movie Full Metal Jacket springs to mind "There are many like it, but this one is mine"

• Like 4

I have never seen a car as a means to make money.  All the cars I have bought and sold have been for fun and not worried about the loss.

HOWEVER.... i will never sell my Type R.  It will be my legacy to my son and he can, in 18 years, do what he likes with it.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Firenza said:

Part of the Riflemans Creed from the movie Full Metal Jacket springs to mind "There are many like it, but this one is mine"

Same as in Jarhead ^_ ^

I used to buy and sell cars for a profit when i was at uni for some extra scratch, had a few goodies - a mate of mine worked at giltrap and he'd call me whenever he'd give someone nothing for their car as a trade in, then id go buy it, fix when was wrong with it and polish it up, Best one was a 2001 Audi A6 (in 2008 these were still considered pretty fancy) picked it up for 3k - spent 1k and sold it for 9 a few weeks later.

These days I only care about 2 cars - my ute (makes money) and my rs (uses said money) 

I'll probably keep my RS untill I die, then ill pass it on to my 1st son, ill come to him in a dream and tell him where the keys are and to only run it on BP98 :P

• Like 1

kept 1st car for 3yrs, 2nd for 6yrs, so this one is either gonna be with me for 9 or 12 years haven't quite worked that one out yet :)  

the car is my mrs, except without the sexy time. she sure knows how to get her way with me and i've poured in way more cash than i planned for going in to this, all in the name of love lol. i keep my cars for ages and though they're not any kind of investment i'd like to think i spend wisely so as not to be making too much of a loss when i eventually move on.

• Like 1

I've kept all my cars bar three only had five since passing my drivers test.One was scrapped as it was a rot box that was my first car. The second written off in an accident and the third I sold when I moved over here,which I'm still kicking myself for.....😱😱

The two I've bought since moving out here my99 STI TypeR and my defender I'll not be getting rid of and I hope to pass on to family one day.......👍🏻👍🏻

Ive only owned a few but having my First WRX has made me appreciate what i have and treat it like my own pot of gold. Obviously i drive it and it is my daily but im not really the skids or heli type person cause i dont want to ruin what i have. I do buy and sell some cars for a profit but depending what it is i generally take care of it and try to hold onto it as much as i can