Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Sussing out what suspension I have

So I want to sort out my suspension height and stiffness issues, so firstly I need to know what I have. All I've been told is they are WRX and/or STi struts, and I can now tell they are Tein springs, but haven't looked up the model codes to see how 'lowered' they are. Here's some info in case anybody can identify them for me:

Front Left: KYB GK07, Red strut, number stamped 20310FE010

Rear Left: KYB BD19, Black strut, number stamped 20360SA170

Front Right: KYB, GK27 (I think), Red strut, number stamped 20310FE000

Rear Right: KYB, ??00, Red strut, can't tell what the stamped number is

They also all have nuts on the bottom, so does that mean they are re-buildable / serviceable?

Model numbers off the springs:

Fronts: F-SIS12-010324 HAC

Rears R-SIS13-010324 HAC

front-left01.jpg?dl=1

front-left02.jpg?dl=1

rear-left01.jpg?dl=1

rear-left02.jpg?dl=1

From the looks and the part numbers, the red struts are off a V7 STi with a chassis code of GDB-4EH. If the rear right one matches the fronts it should be OE part # 20360FE000

The black one is from a 2004+ Forester STi with a chassis code of SG9-5EH

So given one shocks off a Forester, and the others appear to be off a STI Sedan, id say they wont be helping your car handle too well

AFAIK the struts can be regreased, but not rebuilt. If theyre knocking, its something people have done at home, but given that you've only got part of a set I wouldn't bother

I've had a look at all the available Teins for an 04 Forester, and none of them appear to match the numbers you've got. Do they have Tein logos on them? Dobinson make green springs too, but their part numbers differ from what you put as well.

https://www.tein.co.jp/srch/eng_search.php?maker=SUBARU&carmodel=FORESTER&modelyear=default&item=default&restype=5&allvch=1

Edited by Firenza

Yes they are Teins, they have the little T symbol on them all. I would assume the right rear is a matching strut from the front, but interesting the rear left is a Forester strut.

I left out the part that these are in a SG9 Forester STi.

thats....

yuck.

after speaking at megameet, i'd recommend trying to get a set of rear v7 sti struts (idealy from a ggb wagon) and stick a set of standard height or lifted springs into it.

they can be "rebuilt" per-se

basically you undo the little nut at the bottom, pull em apart, clean all the old grease off em, scoop the old crap out of the strut housing, regrease and reassemble. most people with the red v7s end up replacing the rear struts because they start knocking, when theres really nothing wrong with em. coincidentally its the left rear that goes first, because of the heat from the exhaust (or so goes the speculation)

Ashleigh's silver foz (from mm) is on forester struts with lows.

yours look like they are on wrx struts with lows. 

personally, if you wanted more ground clearance, i'd get some +1 inch lift springs on the wrx struts (assuming you can find a good left rear one)

but yeah, those mismatched struts will be giving you some real weird handling.

• Like 1

Yeah after finding out that my rear struts are mismatched, I'm keen to get that sorted out pronto. I actually have a set of rear STi Genome orange struts so I may just throw those in, that will raise up the rear a bit and give me a bit more clearance. Then I really only need to sort out some standard STi springs for the front to even out the height.

• Like 2

So I've been offered these and the guy says they were out of an '01 STi, but he says he can't get the model numbers off them for me. Apparently the stickers are too worn off and he can't tell what they are.

Could anybody confirm if the early GDB STi struts / springs were black, or would they just be WRX ones?

I'm positive they will still work fine, it would just be good knowing what I'm getting. If worse comes to worse, I can view them myself in 2 weeks time, they guy is in Hawkes Bay.

Or, would anybody know what KYB model numbers they could / should be if they were either WRX or STi? @Firenza ?

subaru-struts.jpg?dl=1

7 hours ago, Scoobydoo said:

Finally got a model number off him - 20310FE050. Don't know if this is front / rear left or right, but it's a start.

I think it will be one of the rear ones... I think the front ones are normally 000 / 010

Going off the number it comes back to a Front LH shock for a GG9 Impreza, so seemingly not STI, It does have a note of 20N and 20K which were the names of the sporty wagons when the 2nd gen Impreza just came out, so maybe kinda the same as a WRX, but they dont directly cross to what a WRX had

9 hours ago, RaKid said:

How do you tell if a strut needs rebuilding or re-greasing? Is it because they start to knock and that's the only reason?

Left rear is normally the first to go, they start clunking and progressively get worse.

Easy way to tell if they need doing, trolly jack under the rear diff, Jack it up so its like, 10cm off the ground, then drop it. Hard. 

They should have a nice smooth motion as it compresses then returns to normal height. If they are sticky, sometimes they wont compress at all, other times they'll compress and not return.

I see it basically as preventitice maintenance, and if I ever have a car with those struts again that'll be one of the first things on the new car to-do list is regrease em.