Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Off-roading in your Forester

TNHSTI

Does anyone have one they use for a bit of fun and go off roading? - I have one - see pics below 1999 SF5 Forester C/20 manual and I cant believe the places it goes 

Be interesting to see any other members pics of 4wding in their Forester/Outback/Leone?

20161112_143611.jpg

20170211_182831.jpg

IMG_20161115_152406.jpg

20161112_143859.jpg

20161210_123048.jpg

20161112_143859_0.jpg

Edited by TNHSTI
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

Some guys in the states shove in a 1 inch tophat spacer and +1inch lift springs, they seem to be bloody capable too

Yea I thought of getting it lifted a bit but I use it on the road quite a bit too so didn't want to compromise that? - anyone else on here with interesting pics they could share?

• 1 month later...

Nice, I take my T/TB SF5 off roading all the time. Mostly beach bashing in the dunes around Port Waikato to get to good fishing spots and forestry road gravel bashing, but have modded it out as a bit of an overlander. People definitely underestimate the capability of Subies off road. Foztrek on Facebook has a lot of like minded Forester bashers B|

My CS build thread

Most of my pics I've taken out bashing it around in the mud are on my Instagram

I'm running Maxxis Bravo 771 All Terrains, strut tower braces front and rear (the rear tends to twist a lot on the dunes to the point the boot won't open/close), Pajero snorkel, LED spot lights, and seriously looking into whether I want to fork out for a Subie Lift Oz lift kit. Lifting with King Springs etc. reduces your articulation and messes with your spring rates so you lose comfort.

Edited by MatdaymonV2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, MatdaymonV2 said:

seriously looking into whether I want to fork out for a Subie Lift Oz lift kit. 

Plus for any kind of suspension lift I think you'd technically need a cert? Not for the lift springs but for the strut spacer blocks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, El_Chado said:

Plus for any kind of suspension lift I think you'd technically need a cert? Not for the lift springs but for the strut spacer blocks.

Yep, that's also putting me off going for the lift kit. Price of the kit landed in NZ (they come with strut top spacers, and trailing arm spacers for the 2-inch kit) is still cheaper than getting a cert last time I looked. Since most of my off roading is on the beach I'll probably go down the lifted springs route at this stage. If my 20G blows I might look at going all in though with an EZ30 conversion or something and then the lift kit will be worth the cost of the cert.

• Like 1

Just the usual wheel alignment. Lifted springs don't really go high enough to cause any issues in terms of camber from what I understand.

The factory trailing arms are the limiting factor in most lifts on Foresters as the higher you go, the more they pull the wheels towards the front of the car. That's why the guys with lift ktis made in Aus/the States get spacers for them. So you might notice your back wheels are closer to the front of the arch than they used to be, but in terms of camber I think you'll be fine.

• Like 1