Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Suspension choice - V7 WRX

Hey guys,

I'm looking into my options for strut + spring combos for my wagon and am looking for suggestions.

What it is now: V7 STI wagon struts + stock springs, 21mm front SW, 22mm adjustable rear SW (currently on the 22mm soft setting).

Problem: Body roll, not a problem for everyday use but on the track it rolls like a bitch. 

So I'm looking for a good spring + strut combo that will reduce body roll and not give too much of a ride height drop because of my driveway.

What spring rates can I look for that will match my current struts?

A combo that I'm looking at is ARAI springs F(5.8kgf/mm) R(4.9kgf/mm) with KYB AGX shocks but I can't find any data on the damping for the AGXs. 

Strip and regrease the struts, adjust your swaybars to a stiffer setting (assuming you can), rear subfeame lockdown bolts.

With a good stiff swaybar you can eliminate most of the body roll.

My setup is sti genome struts, standard sti springs, 24mm rear bar on mid setting, heavy duty endlinks f/r, subframe locks, rear dif cradle locks and camber adjustment bolts

(short list, theres a bit more under it) 

I need to do the front bar, but as it currently sits, its bloody solid, with minimal body roll 

The agx struts are awesome, iirc 5 or 7 point dampner adjustible.

• Admin

If you're going to go beyond the relatively similar STI/Genome offerings, the no-brainer is to go for MCAs. Obviously requires a cert though.

The real solution is to go to a strut that has different high and low speed damping; crank the low speed to reduce body roll while still having effective suspension on bumps.

Yeah the adjustability of a coilover is attractive (height, damper and camber too) but the obvious issue is price - I'm not sure I'm prepared to drop $2k on suspension + cert.

I'll have a look at getting a beefier front bar and maybe adjust the rear a little tighter and see how it feels. 

8 minutes ago, calebwrx said:

Yeah the adjustability of a coilover is attractive (height, damper and camber too) but the obvious issue is price - I'm not sure I'm prepared to drop $2k on suspension + cert.

I'll have a look at getting a beefier front bar and maybe adjust the rear a little tighter and see how it feels. 

Hey mate, At the moment I have BC Red coil overs and would highly recommend them for the price but like mentioned once you get into this then cert becomes another thing to do!

39 minutes ago, calebwrx said:

I seem to remember you saying you had the rear bar on the softest setting? Test out the others and try a front bar before throwing $$$ into struts. 

• Admin
21 hours ago, calebwrx said:

I would be surprised if there's more $1000 worth of difference between decent struts+springs and a coilover option.

As for the swaybars, just keep in mind that increasing the front bar rate will change the car's attitude to be more understeery; I run a 23mm rear bar and stock front bar and personally I think it makes the car heaps more balanced.

I managed to pick up a set of 3-Way Adjustable Cusco coilovers from a member in auckland a few years back. Had to get the rears rebuilt as the bearings were seized but it was well worth it in the end. Comfort is thrown out the window but if you want the best cornering setup i would 100% go for some adjustables. Mine isnt slammed on its ass but its a nice height so you will overcome your issue of your driveway

Been down the path of 2nd hand coilovers before and let's just say.... never again lol, if I decide to bite the bullet and go coilovers I'll buy new. 

I've adjusted the rear bar to full hard so I'll see how it feels, so far I've only driven it around the city where you barely get to reach 50km/h. 

• Admin
4 hours ago, calebwrx said:

Been down the path of 2nd hand coilovers before and let's just say.... never again lol, if I decide to bite the bullet and go coilovers I'll buy new. 

I've adjusted the rear bar to full hard so I'll see how it feels, so far I've only driven it around the city where you barely get to reach 50km/h. 

Take it for a flog out to Makara village - once it stops raining :/