Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Stock headers vs SSI style headers

Time for some accurate back to back info. Car was identical spec back to back same boost only change was switching out stock V6 STI headers for an SSI UEL type header with standard 2 bolt up pipe flange and retune to suit. The headers were stainless and not wrapped.

Relevant mod list:

G4+ with 3 port for boost control

2l Forged shortie

V5 STI Heads

V7 STI Intake manifold

FMIC

GT3076 .63

44mm Tial gate

3" Exhaust

24psi Tuned by dtech

Pics to follow once photobucket stops being a m!@#$^&*r.

Power

Stock%20header%20vs%20SSI%20UEL%20Style%

Torque

Stock%20header%20vs%20SSI%20UEL%20Style%

So the ssi header gives a lot more area under the curve on a gt30 frame turbo but possibly wouldnt affect a VF or TD 16 or 18g variant.

Take from it what you will power is in wkw and torque in nm on hub dyno.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, GC8E2DD said:

They also lose out on torque for the first half of the rev range? How much bigger CFMwise is the GT30 over a VF2X?

Having driven said car you dont lose S***. You dont pull from 3k you knock it down a gear or pull from 4k as it makes the car a heap quicker. On paper the area under the curve is shitloads better with the ssi which is what matters as far as drivability is concerned.

36lb vs 52lb according to the internet.  Backs up what Ive been told by knowledgeable people.

On a teeny vf I dont think the headers would cause any issue but on anything reasonable the gains are there. Besides on restricted cars running vf size snails its not going to matter and the cast collecters are virtually indestructible so theyre the obvious choice.

• Like 1

Sorry to be the dumb dumb but what are SSI headers, and is UEL un equal length headers?

So stock is Un equal length

and SSI is equal length yeah?

I just got a set of equal length headers to run with the TD05 20g, but after hearing there is little to gain and ill loose some of the original subbie bop bop noise, im tleaning towards staying with UEL - that way i can keep my current EWG setup, if my stock UEL headers bolt up to the v4 heads im looking for

not sure what brand got them 2nd hand off clubsub, was gonna use them but thinking of not going custom/twisted turbo to save $$ and put it towards more important supporting mods or some handling mods, tryna keep this lot of mods under 10k

7 hours ago, boon said:

Not to be a dick but those headers have a rep for being terrible, the gasket at the join just fails over and over and over.

If you are using the up pipe that came with them, don't, the flexy can fail and destroy turbos

I've got these, I haven't had an issue with the gasket but the flexy giving up was a very expensive failure

• Admin
2 hours ago, pl0x said:

If you are using the up pipe that came with them, don't, the flexy can fail and destroy turbos

I've got these, I haven't had an issue with the gasket but the flexy giving up was a very expensive failure

The problem is you have to use that up-pipe, instead of putting a flange where everyone else does (stock position) they use that silly j-pipe arrangement so you are stuck with it.

On 2017-5-8 at 11:50 AM, boon said:

The problem is you have to use that up-pipe, instead of putting a flange where everyone else does (stock position) they use that silly j-pipe arrangement so you are stuck with it.

I have modified this style of headers by deleting the silly Oring set up & putting flanges on instead & as mentioned above get ride of the flexi in up pipe.  But you are correct horrible headers.