Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Wanted - recommendations for cambelt etc in Auckland

Evening all,

After a 7 year hiatus of 'fun cars' (and associated considerations, given I've had company cars) I'm now back in the market for a daily / weekend toy.

Have found an enthusiast owned BC5 down the line, has done some mileage but has no cambelt history -

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1317591858

Having not seen the car in person (have had a mate check it out), I'm prepared to spend the money on a cambelt etc (tensioner, idlers, water pump etc) to alleviate any long term issues with the motor.

Anyone got any recommendations for someone to take car of the job?

Wanting to get some idea of costs etc before I look to negotiate on the price, book flights and commit to the car.

Many thanks,

David.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dont think ajay will be too keen to travel to wanganui, but if you did bring it up this ways then im sure he would give it the once over. unsure on wanganui locals to do a check, but the aa center there as well as vtnz both do pre purchase inspections iirc

• Like 1

Recommendations for good cambelt mechs in auckland

Definitely Subirex Automotive mate! 

If your worried about it snapping while you drive it to auckland i wouldnt be - ive had a BC5 that had the same cambelt it had from new reach 130,000kms

That RS has done 190,000kms so would have at least been done once. :)

• Like 2

The current owner (P/Plate ONERUM, familiar from my time in ClubSub some 8 years ago) either still is, or has been a Subaru mechanic for 20-odd years - so merely wanting recommendations for mechanics in Auckland to quote the work required, as I'll need to factor this in to my budget (as well flights and ideally an independent inspection, including compression test).

Any and all feedback / views appreciated - not sure what to do given the history / distance of the car..

Cheers,

David.

49 minutes ago, lions tigers and beers said:

Any and all feedback / views appreciated - not sure what to do given the history / distance of the car..

4500 for this is a pretty reasonable price imo, some people ask for twice this for no reason other than "they are getting hard to come by" which is true if you compare it to a corolla.

I'd budget for atleast 1000 for cambelt / waterpump etc

Flights be about 100-200 if you want to go within a few weeks from now.

If the guy is on clubsub and 20+ years of subaru mechanic he should be pretty helpful on the condition of the car. everyone ive dealt with on clubsub has been helpful and honest so far, and he looks like he's looked after it tbh man its probably the best nick ive seen in awhile, mine stunk like dogs when i got it and everything rattled - i paid 3500 for me and it cost me 1000s just to get it into wofable/running properly condition. look out for oil leaks etc, rocker cover gaskets are expected on an oldie, but if there are more leaks than the rocker cover gaskets it wont be fun when it comes time to have them repaired, give it a good drive to make sure it doesnt overheat / leak around the header tanks. its got the intake manifold cover on it which can be a good sign - they are very hard to find so theres a chance its the original.

check out around the factory boost solenoid to see if the vacuum lines are factory, if they are, super good sign, the boost may not have been wound up which means the engine has had a pretty easy life :) 

Edited by THUNDA
penguin
  • Like 1

This is a good car..

I would have bought it if my new garage was passed the planning/architect stages..

Rob is a GC..

Get him to do cambelt..

It may cost you a little to sort out but you will own a good piece of Subaru heritage..:)

• Like 3

Do it. You will kick yourself later if you don't.

From the pic it looks like all the original engine bits are there which I would say is quite rare. As well as the original muffler!

You can always switch turbos and ecu's and have some more fun but still be able to revert to stock if you wanted (or sell them to me😊).

• Like 1

Paying the deposit today, picking it up next weekend..

Rob's fitting a genuine cambelt kit and giving it an oil change before I reacquaint myself with the Subaru rumble, looking forward to the 1,000km road trip home VIA Tauranga!

That probably makes this thread dead, will share the journey with y'all in the coming weeks

• Like 2

On 5/7/2017 at 7:08 PM, Kiwi_Fozze said:

dont think ajay will be too keen to travel to wanganui, but if you did bring it up this ways then im sure he would give it the once over. unsure on wanganui locals to do a check, but the aa center there as well as vtnz both do pre purchase inspections iirc

lol i always commute to Wanganui. joys of having in-laws there.