Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Drag tips.

Hey guys, anyone on here had any drag experience on the strip? Care to share what you found worked best? Launching, changing gear, tyres etc. What sort of psi and rpm you have launched at on the strip? 

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Faffed about for years with trying launch control at x rpm, trying to shift at x rpm, trying to balance handbrake and clutch slip etc

For your average 200-220wkw street car just run full pressure in the tyres, when the first yellow flashes floor it, when the last one flashes dump the clutch as fast as your foot can move, flat shift to second is fun, and don't shift at peak power shift after it - you want to be straddling the hump in power not dropping down to climb it again every time in a higher gear. 

Plan b if you're not worried about the other guy and just the clock is just dump it off the limiter, I always do. If nothing else it's entertaining. In a lower powered 4wd a bit of wheelspin is good - it keeps it on the boil as bogging down basically writes the run off 

In that sort of power range in a 4x4 theres a good second of difference between S*** driving and ruthless - I had 180wkw 1450kg mitsis running mid 12s for years and it hurts to see far more powerful stuff run slower 

Remember the first 100m counts the most and every instant you're not on the throttle you're losing time 

• Like 3

I've only done about 30 runs so far but I've got jst below 300kw and I've been launching it at about 6 thou. And building about 24psi. Only running shitty road tyres atm. Here's a short clip of a launch 60ft 1.8. 

Aiming for 11s but since I've only started havent quite got there yet. Best is 12.1 so far. 

received_1544130915638212_zpsbaakxai5.mp

Just a exedy heavy duty, couldn't count how many launches I've done on it so far suprised it's lasted this long. 

Oh yeah what kind of power have you got and have you played with it much on the strip?  

Just a factory old v1 ej20 with newer model subaru parts on it, last tune was 187kw on BP98

Getting abit more serious this time around though, leaving it with Ajay at subirex for a month while im away, going forged shortblock and new heads, big fuel gear and kinugawa 20g td05, with some other bits and pieces, then a re-tune at pbms, hoping to see some decent boost numbers and around 240kw would make me happeh :B 

havnt been on the strip just one the track and only once at that, but it was enough to get me sweating between track playdays LOL, cant fking wait untill i can get on the track again

• Like 2

Oh nice he'll look after you. Sounds good. U didn't think of the td06? Or u didn't want to higher kw numbers?

I had a vf28 tuned on mine back a couple years went hard too. 

Haha I bet I'm itching to know when the nxt drags season starts. 

• Like 1

evowrx did tell me to get the td06, but i wanted to stick with the td05 as i was worried about having heaps of lag with the td06, after buying the td05 i later found out the lag is pretty much the same lol, in hindsight would have prob gone td06 but already got the td05 and the internal gate is welded up so cant take it back :B o well, im sure ill prob upgrade the turbo later on down the track

whenever i do a hit of mods i always say "thisll be the last lot this time" then a couple months later am already planning my next drop off to the money pit hahaha

• Like 1

yeah ive got g4 also, did you get cylic idle? have never see it in real life but getting it with my next tune, i got switches and looms wired up for launch controll and anti-lag but pbms didnt end up setting them up because of an overheating problem - thats sorted though, so when i get back from overseas hopefully ill be running anti lag/cyclic idle and hi/lo boost, with a fresh tune will be sooo fkn sweeeeeet , will have to start upgrading the driveline soon the poor factory rs diffs are probably shitting their pants hahahaha

• Like 1

Nice. Nah had a mate jst get his bg5 wagon tuned at pbms and they set up cycle idle sounds pretty cool rocks the whole car too lol. If you look on pbms fb page it's on there, shows a video etc. Sounds similar to what I've got but Ive only got launch control (setup to disarm at 15kms) and a high low switch.

Haha yeah my cars genuine sti so mines strongish for the time being.. but my gbox has loosen up a lot lol 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1550315081666714&id=361620267202874

Edited by arnegs
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, arnegs said:

Nice. Nah had a mate jst get his bg5 wagon tuned at pbms and they set up cycle idle sounds pretty cool rocks the whole car too lol. If you look on pbms fb page it's on there, shows a video etc. Sounds similar to what I've got but Ive only got launch control (setup to disarm at 15kms) and a high low switch.

Haha yeah my cars genuine sti so mines strongish for the time being.. but my gbox has loosen up a lot lol 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1550315081666714&id=361620267202874

yeah saw that, i actually pmd him on facebook to find out what setup he running lol, always curious about the subis pbms do - he made some decent kWs iirc, would be keen to see it in action

• Like 1

7 hours ago, THUNDA said:

yeah saw that, i actually pmd him on facebook to find out what setup he running lol, always curious about the subis pbms do - he made some decent kWs iirc, would be keen to see it in action

Yeah wasn't to bad at all I actually frabbed his twisted setup. Gonna try get him to bring it down to the drags when the nxt seas on starts.

Edited by arnegs

With the launch hold the clutch when it JUST engages and hold car with handbrake, Drop it from that point.

I haven't taken my V7 on the strip yet but when I use to in previous AWD cars would normally try launch around 6000rpm. BUT as soon as I heard the other car start revving I would get all excited and limiter launch xD hahaha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Inked said:

With the launch hold the clutch when it JUST engages and hold car with handbrake, Drop it from that point.

I haven't taken my V7 on the strip yet but when I use to in previous AWD cars would normally try launch around 6000rpm. BUT as soon as I heard the other car start revving I would get all excited and limiter launch xD hahaha

Haha sounds about right hard to not get to excited lol. I have got my launch set to 6 thou seems to work algd but now I'm use to launching I mite try lowering it alittle.

the cool thing about v7+ is that the factory ecu supports launch control. with a good ebc, 6k rpm and a very agressive timing retard on launch limiter (mine was set to 5500) you could easily smoke up all 4, but with a sticky surface it'll plaster your brains across the rear window. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

the cool thing about v7+ is that the factory ecu supports launch control. with a good ebc, 6k rpm and a very agressive timing retard on launch limiter (mine was set to 5500) you could easily smoke up all 4, but with a sticky surface it'll plaster your brains across the rear window. 

And in the case of us 5 speed plebs, mash up 1st gear 

• Like 3