Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Lifting Outback queries/Cert?

Ok so been looking into lifted outbacks.

Would be keen to do in the future but have questions you guys might be able to help with. 

Iv'e found a couple of ways to lift the car
1: higher springs - about a 1 inch lift

2: A lift kit which contains suspension spacers and uprated springs

3: A combination of both

The main area of concern is would I need to get the suspension certified? I have read the rules and Im still left a little unsure (If I was to do this I would call to clarify, but this is just a idea at this point)

From LTNZ:

• The springs or shock absorbers are direct replacements, and
  • replacement springs are contained within unmodified OE seats throughout full suspension travel, and
  • replacement springs are self-retaining in their seats at full extension, without the use of non-standard devices such as wire-ties, straps, or external spring locators, and
  • replacement springs have not been heated or cut, and
  • springs and spring seats are not height adjustable by any means (unless OE), and
  • replacement shock absorbers, including air-adjustable units, fit unmodified OE mountings, and
  • suspension maintains sufficient travel for safe operation when fully laden, and
  • suspension components maintain sufficient clearance from unmodified bumpstops when fully laden, and
  • a minimum of 100mm ground clearance (unladen and without driver) exists below any part of the vehicle structure, or any steering, braking or suspension component2, and
  • the normal relationship between front and rear suspension height is not unduly affected.

So by going by these rules I should be able to lift without issues?

11 minutes ago, McMatty said:

Just found this on an LVVTA forum

"1) A body lift of any amount will require LVV Certification, as there will be steering and braking components which may have been affected by the lift, which need to be certified as being safe and fit for use."

Read more: http://lvvta.proboards.com/thread/17/4x4-body-lifts#ixzz4jAnbzX6L

Awesome - good to know. I thought I saw somewhere about steering components and OEM angles, but missed that section.

Thank you

Now I will allow for the Cert into my dream budget

Lifting an outback can use the strut top spacers to lift. No cert needed.

The "body lift" referred to applies to lifting the body above a ladder chassis (think hilux, landcruiser, safari etc)

Lifting using the springs and strut tops is fine as you are not lifting the body off the frame.

You will need a damn good alignment, but if you were to put in any adjustible control arms then yku will need to cert 

16 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Awesome - good to know. I thought I saw somewhere about steering components and OEM angles, but missed that section.

Thank you

Now I will allow for the Cert into my dream budget

I have read on The World is Fl4t facebook page that depending on how much you want to lift it you may need new axles

• Admin

Errrr if you find a way to body-lift a unibody Outback you must be some sort of magician.

Body lifting refers to spacing the body off the chassis/frame of a ladder frame vehicle. On our cars the body is the chassis so you can't lift the body.

You could argue maybe that spacing the subframes off the body would constitute a body lift; for the purposes of certification it would change things like steering angles... but the top pickup point of the suspension is obviously the strut tower so spacing the subframe wouldn't do anything to the height. It would only be beneficial if you ran a huge suspension lift for tyre clearance and needed to drop the subframes down to retain sensible angles on the driveshafts and lower suspension components. That said, when you do that you don't gain any ground clearance, other than what you get from the tyres.

When I last looked into it, a few years ago now, you could lift up to 50mm before needing certification.

That would be quite a big lift on an Outback.