Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subaru WRX V8 + V9 WRX STI Purchase Advice

Hi guys,

hope this is the right place to post this. 

I am back in the market for a Subaru.... the 8th one!

Budget realistically is 15-18k, but I'd stretch a bit more for a nice example. Looking for something really tidy and as stock as possible - e.g no silly gauges or bolt on wheels etc... something to keep in the garage. I get a company car so it would be lucky to see 400kms a month.

Anyway, Id just like to get a idea of what people think a tidy V8 / V9 STI is worth? I have wanted one for going on well... 10 years now and I swear the price hasn't changed! The question is what they are actually selling for?

i have seen this ; https://www.trademe.co.nz/1320527576

but the owner recons he's turning down offers of $17,000 

i have also been offered a stock V9 STI, done 145kms, 2 owners and NZ new for $22,000 

finally, am I better off bypassing both the above and buying the new shape wagons 2008-2010? They are essentially the same price now! 

any insight or opinions are most welcome

thanks for your help 

ben 

Edited by Benjamin
Spelling error on title

i wouldnt touch that v8 sti, "upgraded" heavy duty clutch, no deal.

having had a v11 (new shape) i'd much rather take a v8/9/10 due to the v11 issues.

i'd take the v9 from the above offers, better interior, 5x114 hubs, dccd and strong motor, plus they look cool.

ymmv

1 minute ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

having had a v11 (new shape) i'd much rather take a v8/9/10 due to the v11 issues.

i'd take the v9 from the above offers, better interior, 5x114 hubs, dccd and strong motor, plus they look cool.

ymmv

Thanks for the input, Do you think that V8 isn't the best deal around? Think I just liked it because it wasn't all 'boy racered up'.

are people actually paying the money for these v8/v9 variants? Id hate to e.g pay $20,000 for the V9 and then have buyers remorse. Hesitant purchaser I suppose! 

6 minutes ago, Scoobydoo said:

I have indeed!

nice cars, I've had a 2002 SG5 2.5x Man and a 2004 XT Crossport which I sold about 5 months ago.....great cars minus the wind noise and the typical window gusset mods!

just not sure though, I know they're cheaper but the V8 / V9 has Always been a 'want' 

that v8 has been boy racered up though. 

upgraded clutch and flywheel

turbo back exhaust

bov

pod filter

doof doof and dark tints.

i'll put money on it running rich a.f. and slower than a stock v8 sti because of those mods.

@94 Leone recently purchased a v8 sti, payed similar price for it iirc. 

the gauge pod is actually a tickbox option as well, and worth over a grand if everything works too

9 hours ago, Benjamin said:

I have indeed!

nice cars, I've had a 2002 SG5 2.5x Man and a 2004 XT Crossport which I sold about 5 months ago.....great cars minus the wind noise and the typical window gusset mods!

just not sure though, I know they're cheaper but the V8 / V9 has Always been a 'want' 

Yeah the window gussets are very easy to replace though.. then voila.. no noise!

10 hours ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

that v8 has been boy racered up though. 

upgraded clutch and flywheel

turbo back exhaust

bov

pod filter

doof doof and dark tints.

i'll put money on it running rich a.f. and slower than a stock v8 sti because of those mods.

@94 Leone recently purchased a v8 sti, payed similar price for it iirc. 

the gauge pod is actually a tickbox option as well, and worth over a grand if everything works too

V9 mate. jeebuz.

also Mine is JDM and had only done 115 thou. so has TS goodness and bigger hubs.

also I have the churbro back and pod mods. But it's tuned for it. and I have a cold air box.

Edited by 94 Leone

15 hours ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

ymmv

Not wanting to Thread Hijack but what are the V11 issues you mention just of interest?

Nz market have oil burn issues, (same motor as the USA, and a class action has been upheld against soa because of it)

Jdm 2Lt have issues with piston rings, they arent up to the task. Resulting blowby carbons up the bigend bearing seats and they spin. Blowby carbon build up to the point of a 500km oil change looking like the 10,000km changes I did in my old skyline with borked rings.

When my grb was rebuilt, Subaru Japan, as well as cometic and a few other major manufacturers had run out of head gaskets. World wide. Subtech had done 10 grb rebuilds in the month previous to mine letting go, and are still pretty flat out. They generally let go between 120-150k, even with an immaculate service history

• Like 2