Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help! Detonation!

snowflake009

On 6/12/2017 at 8:40 AM, Marky said:

Does it actually need bigger squirters at this stage? 

Have you done a pressure test on the whole intake? 

Have you checked fuel pressure once it comes on boost (fuel pump or reg being sad?)

I spoke to them today and fueling is good, pressure flow etc. bigger squirters are needed and the decaps were a cheaper option. they have done them plenty of times before with no problems. yeah the whole intake system has been pressure tested ok. I was having a bit of problems with boost leaks but better clamps and hairspray done the trick. 

Edited by snowflake009

I tuned a S-gt auto a few days ago. Dead factory apart from downpipe. Same issue you are having. Got it to 162wkw but it was extremely detonation prone especially up at 5500 and above.. Was on 95 fuel though. Hard work getting it to make power and not det. You can change the valve overlap to reduce the dynamic compression which helped a little but was a pain either way. 

So had a bit of a poke around today and found both of the cam position sensors are leaking oil through the wiring connector. one was drenched and the other only squirted some out when i probed the wires. tested with a meter and the readings arnt the same as i thourght they should be. im not getting a cel even if i unplug them with the car running. was told they can work when cold and fail when they warm up. A faulty cam sensor would explain the curvey dino chart as it would fluctuate the timing without the ecu knowing it. will be replacing those and the crank sensor just for good measure as its probably not far behind. pulled out the spark plugs aswell and they are mint. hopefully the sensor is the problem fingers crossed

• Like 1

So replaced the sensors and I think it may have solved my problem. Idles and drives a lot smoother now. Guess I'll find out on Wednesday when it goes in for a retune. Unfortunately when removing the passengers side can sensor I broke the variable cam solenoid. A cable tie has got it sorted temporarily but will have to replace it. Does anyone know where I can find a part number for this? Not having much luck with this thing lately :/

9 minutes ago, snowflake009 said:

So replaced the sensors and I think it may have solved my problem. Idles and drives a lot smoother now. Guess I'll find out on Wednesday when it goes in for a retune. Unfortunately when removing the passengers side can sensor I broke the variable cam solenoid. A cable tie has got it sorted temporarily but will have to replace it. Does anyone know where I can find a part number for this? Not having much luck with this thing lately :/

If you want second hand give Matt at Innovate or Ajay at Subirex Automotive or partsouq will have them if you can wait 7 days.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, evowrx said:

If you want second hand give Matt at Innovate or Ajay at Subirex Automotive or partsouq will have them if you can wait 7 days.

Thanks. Will give them a call Monday

40 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Just chuck your applied model into partsouq.com and it'll give you the the part number.

Could do a few logs with the laptop attached to yours sometime if you want to check things are actually working as expected.

If we could bro that would be great! I'm booked in for Wednesday so before then if your free. Got hold of a scope meter so can check your alternator curve if your still having issues with it

Sweet as give me a buzz tomorrow if your free. Thanks bro!

19 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

May be free tomorrow arvo or any day during the week is allgood. 

Yea that'd be mint. Currently have the alternator issue in the too hard basket.

1 minute ago, evowrx said:

Which solenoid did you break intake or exhaust? Passengers or drivers side?

Passengers exhaust

No good! Still having same problem. Compression good. Timing spot on. Plugs good. Variable cams are working mint.

Next step will be checking cams and valve springs. Possibly valves not seating properly or floating? New motor or rebuild? This is doing my head in!

• Like 1

On 2017-6-18 at 7:09 PM, snowflake009 said:

So had a bit of a poke around today and found both of the cam position sensors are leaking oil through the wiring connector. one was drenched and the other only squirted some out when i probed the wires. tested with a meter and the readings arnt the same as i thourght they should be. im not getting a cel even if i unplug them with the car running. was told they can work when cold and fail when they warm up. A faulty cam sensor would explain the curvey dino chart as it would fluctuate the timing without the ecu knowing it. will be replacing those and the crank sensor just for good measure as its probably not far behind. pulled out the spark plugs aswell and they are mint. hopefully the sensor is the problem fingers crossed

Any oil in the ecu connectors? Yes it creeps up the wiring all the way to the ecu.

On 6/28/2017 at 9:33 PM, boostin said:

Just another issue to consider. I doubt oil in the ecu would cause detonation, but stranger things have happened..... 

Just seen this thread! could very well be a possibility.  Tho still haven't checked haha life sometimes gets the better of me.

Will also check the filters on the intake cam solenoids. just had a bit of a look on the interwebs and guys have had similar dino plots to mine with that banjo filter stuck in their avcs solenoids. Hope is not lost just yet :D

13 minutes ago, snowflake009 said:

Just seen this thread! could very well be a possibility.  Tho still haven't checked haha life sometimes gets the better of me.

Will also check the filters on the intake cam solenoids. just had a bit of a look on the interwebs and guys have had similar dino plots to mine with that banjo filter stuck in their avcs solenoids. Hope is not lost just yet :D

For some reason I thought yoy had removed the filters and checked for oil in loom. Remember theres a filter at each end of the supply line well there was on the earlier v7-10 sti stuff I played with anyway. The one on head/block would be the first to block up in theory.

12 minutes ago, evowrx said:

For some reason I thought yoy had removed the filters and checked for oil in loom. Remember theres a filter at each end of the supply line well there was on the earlier v7-10 sti stuff I played with anyway. The one on head/block would be the first to block up in theory.

There was oil coming out of the exhaust cam sensors but never checked the intake ones. I removed the mesh that supplies the turbo and drivers side avcs (they tee from same supply) from the block but not on the solenoid itself. 

Will check it out and report back

On 04/07/2017 at 9:40 PM, evowrx said:

For some reason, dunno why, but the only one that seems to block up is the engine end of the supply to the turbo/RH head. The VVT solenoid end just falls apart and jams the solenoid full open. Be thankful these are easy to get to. I had a Hyundai Sonata with solenoid issues a few months back, and the filter was sandwiched between the block and head!

• Like 1

• Admin

Have done a few logs of it running now. Seems one of the exhaust solenoids isn't working correctly, gets a higher requested duty but still has a reduced advance.

Before swapping solenoids - Right higher duty but less advance

9H7XNIc.png

After swapping solenoids - Left higher duty but less advance

85BWnVQ.png

The other odd one is the battery voltage seems pretty damn low on the first pictured graph. Could it be running into spark issues or something like that at that voltage? Unsure why it's dropped that low.

Also wondering if the fuel pump min duty is a bit low at 33.3% and almost seems like the battery voltage starts rising back up once the pump gets to 100%, I know with mine it hits 100% duty well before even getting to full throttle rather than slowly progressing as it does here.

Anyone have any thoughts? 

@Tony any chance of getting Dave's opinion on it?

• Like 1