Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help! Detonation!

snowflake009

not much of an update but for those who are interested i run a can of some subaru engine cleaner through a couple of weeks ago.

Before

before3_zpsfkoslyvo.jpg

before_zpsd2io8ld9.jpg

before1_zpshwfsjvsc.jpg

And After

after1_zpsqpuyu3dl.jpg

after2_zpsjqi9rsp4.jpg

after1_zpsqpuyu3dl.jpg

The camera isn't the best but you get the idea. The carbon build up wasn't too bad but the cleaner has definitely removed some.

• Admin

You have any thoughts on the possible issue @west_minist

Three auto's in quick succession on the same hub dyno giving low results and being heavily limited by detonation. 

Could torque converter slip actually be playing into this? The same issues don't seem come about with the manuals.

18 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Three auto's in quick succession on the same hub dyno giving low results and being heavily limited by detonation. 

Could torque converter slip actually be playing into this? The same issues don't seem come about with the manuals.

Different compression ratio between the two?

On 7/15/2017 at 5:31 PM, evowrx said:

Different compression ratio between the two?

the only difference between the auto and manual is the turbo.... and the transmission of course lol

Could the smaller turbo on the autos be creating enough back pressure to make them more det prone? They had a guy come in with a modified vf38 on his manual leggy that wasnt making power. lots of det etc. long story short. lots of back pressure. got new turbo. problem solved.

On 7/15/2017 at 5:12 PM, Andy_Mac said:

apparently the torque converters lock up after a certain rpm so there shouldn't be slip?? As you say tho the internet has been wrong before lol.

Im guessing as the gear ratios and final drive are different they will give a lower reading? im unfamiliar with dynos and if they can dial the ratio in to give a relative output. i believe the manual is 4.11 final drive and the auto is 3.58?

As for my det problem having the cam timing out of sync will definitely be an issue. especially with the high compression motor relying in it to compensate. I dont know how much ill get after its fixed but it is what it is I guess. at  the moment ill be happy to have her running mint. im starting to get tired of driving a sack of potatoes.

Edited by snowflake009
mods

• Admin

Size difference is negligeable, same size housings give or take brand variances.

Plus yours is no longer a VF38 so throws that right out he window as it should breathe better than any of the Legacy TS turbo housings, especially with the larger headers and uppipe.

That other VF38 one was a bit odd TBH, VF36 or 37 with a machined Leggy VF38 housing. 

They never really solved it at all, ended up chucking a single scroll housing on it and things were peachy. Plus they got rid of the semi average aftermarket top mount and replaced it with a decent frontmount and it was running a closed deck block that you'd assume had a lower comp ratio.