Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What mods would you do?

G B

Not sure that I can resist modding the STi for another 2 years :|

Question is, if I did take the plunge, what to do? I am mindful that the 2.5 needs to be teated with kid gloves so need to be sensible. Let's say up to an absolute max of 7k. Thoughts....

• Like 1

Not sure that I can resist modding the STi for another 2 years 
Question is, if I did take the plunge, what to do? I am mindful that the 2.5 needs to be teated with kid gloves so need to be sensible. Let's say up to an absolute max of 7k. Thoughts....

7K for mods or
7k for mods including tune?
Exhaust, intake, fuel pump,big injectors, boost control Solenoid (MAC valve) and a good tune.

FMIC- if frontal impact allows it.
depending on what parts/make you get that'll get you there under budget.

and if you have any left over after that, some under body bracing.

Sent from my Baked potato using Telekinesis

All up budget.

Rather stick with TMIC due to frontal impact considerations.

Already have cat back exhaust. Really want reliability - what can you do to ensure the pistons don't crap out other than replace them with forged ones?

3 minutes ago, G B said:

What sort of kW/Nm would you expect? And how would pistons cope (yes I am paranoid!!!!)

Impossible to put a number on it. Likely be safer than it is now and be heaps better across the board. Maybe 20-30wkw but seat of the pants is the better method of testing.

Just to be clear this is for a 2016 WRX STi in case there is any doubt :D

1 minute ago, evowrx said:

Impossible to put a number on it. Likely be safer than it is now and be heaps better across the board. Maybe 20-30wkw but seat of the pants is the better method of testing.

How would it be safer (sorry if dumb Q). I have no experience with modding STi motors.

1 minute ago, G B said:

Yep.

1 minute ago, G B said:

How would it be safer (sorry if dumb Q). I have no experience with modding STi motors.

The tune on the stock 2.5 engines isnt the best and can be improved on. Being nz new it might be better than earlier imports but generally they are tuned around gentlemans agreed figures and emissions rather than whats best for power.

• Admin

In all seriousness I believe you should run FlexFuel. 

How you would achieve this on stock ECU I don't know, as I'm not sure if there's availability to tune it yet. 

With Flexfuel running e85 you'll likely hit 240+ even on a topmount in the EJ257. 

If I was to suggest someone to tune your car, if you had a Link / other aftermarket ECU, I would've said Glen Suckling. 

However for factory reflashes then PBMS is a good choice. 

As for Fuel Pump, an Aeromotive Stealth 340, a bellmouth DP of your choice however you'll either have to get a DP with a cat or flaunt the law a bit with a catless one the latter is much less expensive. As for MAC valve, they're essentially all the same. Can get one from say NZPerformance for relatively cheap. If you want I can help source some parts for you if you'd like as I've got some connections. 

As for equal length headers, I see no point unless you're swinging a twinscroll setup into it, as there's quite a few things you need to change, like Sump, Dipstick, oil pickup and headers.

So lets recap. 

(aiming high here for everything)

FlexFuel sensor: $220

HKS Catless downpipe: $695

Intake: budget for $500 ish (keep stock box, put in under intake pipe and that little annoying pipe bity between the intake pipe and the box thingy. God knows what it's actually called)

ID1050X for e85 compatibility: $800

Aeromotive Stealth 340: $190

Fuel pressure Regulator: $320

any needed fittings: $200

Tune: $1200 ish? 

All comes up to about $4k 

Personally, budget for 5k and be away laughing. 

Do note, I'm not taking into account of fitting this stuff, because I'd do it myself in my garage. 

not sure worth considering e85 mate as it's not so readily available in the suburb we live in. i did spend lots of time contemplating but given how long it lasts (not long!), not sure i'd classify it as 'worthwhile' for the 45km round trip just to get it (closest fill up point near us is forrest hill rd).

first point of call would probably be to have a chat with Julius at @PBMS- [email protected] . pretty sure they have some 'staged' packages which are pretty user friendly, tried and tested to get you started down that modding path. he should be able to tell you a rough power improvement based on examples of other similar cars they've done, or you can check out their FB/instagram for those examples. fuel pump upgrade would be necessary and very cheap, not sure if you'd need to go for injectors just yet until things get a bit more serious with turbo changes. like evowrx said, a tune on these will almost instantly net torque , power and even economy improvements without much changes believe it or not.

yep if you decide to get a few things done, i beleive they have some done this for a few customers where Ajay @Subirex Automotive does the installs and all then puts it on a tow truck to PBMS who will dyno tune for you. Pretty good to see these two working together!

1 hour ago, Dairusire said:

As for equal length headers, I see no point unless you're swinging a twinscroll setup into it, as there's quite a few things you need to change, like Sump, Dipstick, oil pickup and headers.

no need to change sump, newer models have been fitted with twin scroll sumps. from memory i think its v11 onwards that have come with twin scroll sumps from factory.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Subirex Automotive said:

no need to change sump, newer models have been fitted with twin scroll sumps. from memory i think its v11 onwards that have come with twin scroll sumps from factory.

Do they also accomodate the low mount turbo  and headers etc? 

Some excellent suggestions coming through - thank you :D

Agree with @Batbaruman that e85 wouldn't be worth it. I'll just stick with 98 as it's easy enough to get here in Auckland and don't fancy a drive across to Forrest Hill Rd just to top up. Really don't think there would be any benefit for me there.

How much restriction is the stock intake box? I'm hesitant to put an intake pipe low down. I know it will take in cooler air, but I have seen the results of hydrolock on a 3SGTE motor with one and it wasn't prettty :S

FPR necessary with upgraded fuel pump?

What sort of boost levels are you thinking of for something like this?

hmmmmm, 7k

factory air box, with the intake resonator deleted sounds mint.

my personal choice in mods:

good sticky tyres

mca reds
rear swaybar

front swaybar

endlinks

strut braces

anti lift kit

diff brace

camber adjustment links in the rear

a good alignment

chassis bracing - think fender bracing, k bracing and the like

3inch exhaust, 3port boost solenoid and a good tune

gauges (if the budget allows)

cert

• Like 3

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

hmmmmm, 7k

good sticky tyres

mca reds
rear swaybar

front swaybar

endlinks

strut braces

anti lift kit

diff brace

a good alignment

cert

Pretty much this, I would save ~$1000 and get MCA X-series instead of Reds, though. Also unsure if the fender braces do three-fifths :D

Rear swaybar +1 million

• Like 1

yeah fender braces have always been questionable to me, its one of those "if theres any cash left then why not" sorta mods.

and having been in several cars with different types of adjustible suspension, the only sub 5k set of struts i'd consider are mca's. even the bottom of the range blues at 

$1500 ish landed are miles better than any bc's or d2's i've traveled with

1 hour ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

hmmmmm, 7k

good sticky tyres

mca reds
rear swaybar

front swaybar

endlinks

strut braces

anti lift kit

diff brace

a good alignment

cert

i like the way you think very much! them handling mods no doubt will be very noticeable.