Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help with BG Legacy windscreen washer problem

sooby

Howdy folks,

Noticed recently that the windscreen washer in our BG Legacy wasn't squirting fluid when asked to.

I've checked the reservoir and its full and no obvious blockages.  Then checked the fluid line going from firewall to bonnet by blowing compressed air thru and can confirm those lines are working.

Can't hear the washer going, so am guessing the washer is knackered - seems about right for a 20 years old car! 

Is there any other tricks to determine the pump is at fault?  Also what can I expect to pay for a replacement pump?

Cheers

You can try removing the pump and running power to it. If it stays silent then its done its time. Also try swapping the connectors between the front are rear motors and then test the switch. If you pull it and still nothing happens then I could be the switch.

A new one would probably be fairly expensive. When mine died I took it with me to pick a part, and get a replacement off the nicest newest looking car I could find. Theyre like $10 so grab a couple.

You arent limited to BG Legacies either, you should be able to get them off newer Subarus too IIRC

• Like 1

Ok, so I have the second hand reservoir assembly complete with front & rear pumps.

Looking at it as a complete unit I'm guessing it is going to simpler if I unscrew existing reservoir assembly and unclip pumps all in one & straight swap 'new' unit in.  I'm thinking trying to pull out the defective pump only might be a pain with reservoir full and risk munting a seal.

Any tips or hidden fish hooks to look out for?

Nah, should be pretty easy. I havent done one on the BG, but I have a BF and a Impreza and they're both the same. The rear hose is clipped to the left hand side of the reservior, and if you unclip it you usually have enough room to tilt it back so washer fluid wont run out the pumps when you remove the hoses.

If the pumps are unknown its probably worth testing them before you go to the trouble of installing the whole thing too

• Like 1

well easiest would be to connect them up to a connector you know works and push the button, otherwise if your feeling brave, they only have two pins - Earth and 12v. You figure out which is which and hook them up directly to a battery!

But get it wrong and you could ruin the pump.

The pumps pop out of the bottles quite easily. Yes you will lose fluid so do it outside. It's only water so you can refill it after. Put a light smear of Vaseline on the rubber seal to make fitting the pump easy.

• Like 1

• General Member

Painting your rims, as in it acts like masking tape, you spear the V over the tire & spray away, then simply wipe it off after : also good (or at least not bad) for the rubber!

• Like 1

ugh..

Swapped reservoir & pump assembly over today with no luck... guessing fault is in the wiper stalk as now both front AND rear squirters don't work.

Don't suppose there is a fuse somewhere I should be checking?  Did check both engine bay & interior fuse boxes but couldn't see anything obviously labelled / read Japanese

do you have a multi meter? would be good to check that when you press the wiper spray buttons if it actually sends electrical signal to the wires at pump end.

yes they definately have a relay, not 100% about the fuse but should do. don't want to lead you astray as i am not sure where they are exactly nor if your cars layout is like mine but on my sti there is a fuse box under the steering wheel , take that bit of plastic off and is a bunch of 'hidden' relays / fuses. i would start by checking the wires with multimeter though to make sure it is indeed getting signal when you press the buttons

• Like 1