Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Thinking About Selling my Car..

I've been loosely thinking about selling my car for a few months now. Car in question:

2003 WRX STI @ 138kms

- BC Gold coilovers

- Rota P1Rs 18x9  wrapped with Michellen Pilot Sport 3s

- Whiteline rear sway bar, endinks and bushings all round

- Full 3 inch TBE with downpipe and adrenalin r exhaust tip

- Exedy HD clutch

- Mac 3 port

- GFB recirc BOV

- Stock 3 part gauge cluster (oil temp, boost and oil pressure)

- Tuned by Chris / Dtech (at the time) to 220kw and 440nm at the wheels.

Maybe looking for around 22k.

As weird as it sounds, i feel like i've gotten over the car now! Done most of what i wanted to get done to the car. Guess im looking for something quicker. Would love to do turbo and the works but just dont have the funds for that. Have very mixed thoughts on the matter so would love some of you're feedback. 

- The car has been meticulously cared for, so should i just keep it and save the pennies for more power way down the line?

- What else can 22-24k buy me that will be quicker and be a solid great car in comparison? 

- Been thinking about the new GRBs, maybe even the hatch with unequal length setup - the 2.5l versions?

Thoughts?

Edited by Niran

• Admin

Been kinda feeling the same really. Hard to let go but in my case hard to justify a car thats being driven once or twice a week whilst saving for a house deposit.

GRB's certainly are a step up looks wise inside and out. 

• Like 1

Yep feeling same lately lol fighting the feeling off. I take bus to work now due to parking expenses and don't often have time to get out on weekends with house work etc,  so car driven only yo gym and back, which is 5 min walk away. plus it's a downright money sink! Why I still have mine though is there is nothing actually comparable for the money...when I feel like driving I want good handling as priority and a proper level of power which ain't easy under 25k while still having a good looking car. Plus significant gains are a turbo and tune away. At some point I'd like to try my hand at a highly modified xr6t but they are so different and signigicantly heavier. If you get a grb get one already modified, or you'll be in same trap paying for exhaust / intake and return costs .

• Like 2

@A_J_T Your legacy is so sweet dude! 

@Andy_Mac Yeah the GRBs are an interesting breed. I hated the hatch when it first came out, but have seen a few tidy examples that have made me kinda like em! Appreciate the house deposit dude, by some miracle and crawling through glass we got on the market 3 years ago - hence the no cash to do anything now haha

@Batbaruman yeah i catch the train to work too, but am perfectly happy with the rex being a weekend warrior :P 

When i think about how much will be needed realistically to get it 280kw fast - prolly 10k. Im pretty close to value of an RS4, which i've been dreaming about lol. 2007 sedan roughly 40k for a tidy second hand one. 

Edited by Niran
  • Like 1

Whoa why would it cost you that much  for 280kw on a ej207? Just need turbo, front mount , possibly injectors (ask the tuner) and then dtech would charge couple hours on retune. Then again, if I could get 22k for my car I'd prob consider a trade up too if was bored of it. Such a big difference between 2001 and 2003 prices ! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

Whoa why would it cost you that much  for 280kw on a ej207? Just need turbo, front mount , possibly injectors (ask the tuner) and then dtech would charge couple hours on retune. Then again, if I could get 22k for my car I'd prob consider a trade up too if was bored of it. Such a big difference between 2001 and 2003 prices ! 

In reality it wont make 280wkw tho...need to spend coin on fabbing a decent twisted setup, decent turbo then the other bits you said. Then might make 280wkw. Its a subaru it might not work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evowrx said:

In reality it wont make 280wkw tho...need to spend coin on fabbing a decent twisted setup, decent turbo then the other bits you said. Then might make 280wkw. Its a subaru it might not work.

link g4 and e85 will make 250kw on stock turbo setup :D

9 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

Yep feeling same lately lol fighting the feeling off. I take bus to work now due to parking expenses and don't often have time to get out on weekends with house work etc,  so car driven only yo gym and back, which is 5 min walk away. plus it's a downright money sink! Why I still have mine though is there is nothing actually comparable for the money...when I feel like driving I want good handling as priority and a proper level of power which ain't easy under 25k while still having a good looking car. Plus significant gains are a turbo and tune away. At some point I'd like to try my hand at a highly modified xr6t but they are so different and signigicantly heavier. If you get a grb get one already modified, or you'll be in same trap paying for exhaust / intake and return costs .

Agreed, on the already modified aspect. I too had that standard of requirements for buying my hatch. Had to be done well as well and looked after. I guess I consider lucky buying my GRB. 

8 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

Yeah, all and all I estimated to spend around 4.5K for Turbo, Injectors, & Tune. FMIC is on hold at the moment. So could be a base figure for you @Niran

10 hours ago, Niran said:

I've been loosely thinking about selling my car for a few months now. Car in question:

2003 WRX STI @ 138kms

- BC Gold coilovers

- Rota P1Rs 18x9  wrapped with Michellen Pilot Sport 3s

- Whiteline rear sway bar, endinks and bushings all round

- Full 3 inch TBE with downpipe and adrenalin r exhaust tip

- Exedy HD clutch

- Mac 3 port

- GFB recirc BOV

- Stock 3 part gauge cluster (oil temp, boost and oil pressure)

- Tuned by Chris / Dtech (at the time) to 220kw and 440nm at the wheels.

Maybe looking for around 22k.

As weird as it sounds, i feel like i've gotten over the car now! Done most of what i wanted to get done to the car. Guess im looking for something quicker. Would love to do turbo and the works but just dont have the funds for that. Have very mixed thoughts on the matter so would love some of you're feedback. 

- The car has been meticulously cared for, so should i just keep it and save the pennies for more power way down the line?

- What else can 22-24k buy me that will be quicker and be a solid great car in comparison? 

- Been thinking about the new GRBs, maybe even the hatch with unequal length setup - the 2.5l versions?

Thoughts?

Honestly, in my opinion stick to the EJ207. From my assumption/knowledge the 2.5's are more prone to breaking as it's not forged unlike the JDM versions? I heard from a workmate that the EJ207 are coated to give that semi-forged for the V11's. I did talk to a few different tuners and one tuner said with the 2.0L they made max 220kw safely and on the 2.5L they made about 235-240kw safely (Forgot which tuner it was now). 

My non-bias opinion. I sat in my mates V9 STI. Honestly I would go back to my GRB any day for daily and comfort. His interior is quite basic and felt like my Evo but much worse. The value of his car may hold up better overtime being a V9 but for my purposes GRB is what I'd choose, I'm not saying my car is super comfortable as it's setup for track use but it's up there with the feel of the interior being quite good. If you can as well try and go for the Spec R GRB; always a bonus to get this version. 

I quite like the look of the GRB's tbh, a few minor changes aesthetic wise and it completely changes the look of the car. Remember that your advancing 4 years in if you decide to get a GRB :).

Edited by BeastGRB

13 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

^ not to mention how much more practical the hot hatch is for the practical / family man! i so miss my old Toyota Hatch at times

Yes, definitely that too. The thought of fold-able rear seats ;) I haven't had to fold my rear seats as the rear compartment is big enough for what I need anywho. Definitely a plus for those wanting to buy big car parts to transport in the back. 

33 minutes ago, Niran said:

Some good info there @BeastGRB thanks :) 

What do you guys think about the sedan 2012 GRB? 

6464461131_da36ee30ae_b.jpg

They are quite nice as well. I originally wanted to get the sedan version as it looks quite nice imo. 

I guess for a base price a dealershipabout a year ago was selling a silver one, prolly had 70-80ks on the clock manual - stock for 30k. Downfall is that it had the horrible non-recaro seats. Had the standard sti seats only which is a big downfall in my standard of requirements. I think most of them are non recaros.

@Niran noooooo dont do it :( are you over the subi already bro haha....i am in the same boat now, need to sell the STI to buy a wagon can't fit the car seat in the back properly and nothing in the boot :( really hard decision though to let go

• Like 1

Im in two minds about the whole thing. Realistically if i sell it, i wont be able to get something newer that has been as well maintained and modded and tuned etc. 

So maybe i should just save for the turbo upgrade.. lol 

I took the car for a drive around the Hunua gorge after the service and it felt amazing. Might have made me change my mind. 

I still haven't tracked it yet. Will aim to try get down to Puke soon. 

Also checked out a 37k GRB (imported) and it drove like balls. Prolly needed some work done to it, but still. We spend a lot of money getting our cars mint then sell it.. Probably a waste. A positive was they offered 21k for my car (dealer price). So could probably squeeze a bit more off the trademe's

Bottom line - still haven't decided. Once I've saved like 5k, i'll decide whether to keep her or upgrade. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Niran said:

Im in two minds about the whole thing. Realistically if i sell it, i wont be able to get something newer that has been as well maintained and modded and tuned etc. 

I took the car for a drive around the Hunua gorge after the service and it felt amazing. Might have made me change my mind. 

Also checked out a 37k GRB (imported) and it drove like balls. Prolly needed some work done to it, but still. We spend a lot of money getting our cars mint then sell it.. Probably a waste. A positive was they offered 21k for my car (dealer price). So could probably squeeze a bit more off the trademe's

Bottom line - still haven't decided. Once I've saved like 5k, i'll decide whether to keep her or upgrade. 

thats a bloody mint price to be offered by a dealer, wow! and pretty much same conclusion i came to ay, you've got most of the support and personalilzation mods you want sorted so a well researched turbo upgrade and it will be a completely different feeling car for under $5k (turbo, labour to fit and tune). such an upgrade won't increase resale value but with all the time and effort we put in to our cars it's very harsh to measure them only on the depreciating asset scale, though in the greater scheme of things this will probably make the car more enjoyable than what you'd get if you sold it and forked out an extra 10-15k on something else. also a big bonus that you are well aware of the history / health of this car instead of picking up someone elses ticking timebomb.

• Like 2

I feel you with the sale thoughts popping into your head I have that happen as well, However I have owned approx. 28 cars now and the one thing I regret is selling them haha. I should of kept one body shape that I liked and built everything else around it to make it drive / handle how I wanted. I think buying - modding and selling cars is a easy habit to do but its a cycle that is easy to get carried away with, IMO if you are happy with the body and you like what type of car it is then keep it. sink money into it over time and make it into the weapon that you want.

• Like 3

I've got a soft spot for the GRB sedans, really grown on me over time.  

However for how much they are going for, 30k+.   I'd much rather the Lexus IS F:  5.0L V8 Japanese muscle, direct competitor to the M3/RS4 but with that Toyota reliability.  Would love to own one some day...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Niran said:

I have thoughts like that all the time but I now tell myself is it worth selling a good maintained car to try and buy another car and find out all the history behind etc... For 37K GRF is a bit too steep imo. 

I say don't do it and upgrade your turbo. I thought of the same as well to either sell my GRB and go back to Evo's for more power or I mod my GRB. If your still unsure in about 1-1.5months time I could take you for a ride in mine once it's all done as I plan to order my turbo next week. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

i regret selling the V7, took about 3 GRB hatch's for test drive and man they dont feel quick at all, well not like the V7, doesnt throw you back into the seat and just dunno doesnt feel the same, handles way better though real solid steering which is nice

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Niran said:

Question for those that know about the GVBs. What engine does the 2011 STI sedan (JDM) have? Still the EJ207 semi forged etc? I'm not very learned on this subject B|

V8- have the hypereutectic pistons with nitrided crank. Pretty sure rods have tapered pin end also. 

• Like 1