Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How to decat my downpipe

Just hang a bag of Whiskas on the tip bro. coax that sucker out in no time. Unsure how to get a cat to wof though. thats mostly a dog thing. 

......Sorry, I'm more sarcastic that usual on a friday... You can bash them out with a combination of tools or cut it out entirly and weld in a new section but thats a whole other set of tools 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

Just hang a bag of Whiskas on the tip bro. coax that sucker out in no time. Unsure how to get a cat to wof though. thats mostly a dog thing. 

......Sorry, I'm more sarcastic that usual on a friday... You can bash them out with a combination of tools or cut it out entirly and weld in a new section but thats a whole other set of tools 

hehehehe it must be Friday xD 

will I need to cut the pipe to get the cat out or can i get it all out just by poking stuff at it through the holes at each end? would love too not worry about having to weld stuff back together...

Never personally done it, but I think on these there is a flange just after the L bend that you can remove and kinda bash away from both sides but I wouldn't count on a perfect result without cutting it up. Personally I'd either buy a proper bell-mouth decat downpipe, or cut the cat out and have a section welded in. 

Boom http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-1369534933.htm

7 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

Never personally done it, but I think on these there is a flange just after the L bend that you can remove and kinda bash away from both sides but I wouldn't count on a perfect result without cutting it up. Personally I'd either buy a proper bell-mouth decat downpipe, or cut the cat out and have a section welded in. 

Boom http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-1369534933.htm

will that wrx one be the correct one for sti and it will fit 2001 aye?

This might be good...

Edited by Subru

Just now, A_J_T said:

Pretty sure you're cruising with a vf of some sort so shouldn't be an issue but others on here are far more knowledgeable than me so hopefully they can confirm. 

vf30 I think?

I cant see any issues, should be good to go. by the look of that one on TM it is an old Rage unit so the flange maynot fit with the stock mid-pipe. little things like that you have to keep in mind. 

@evowrx If you have a moment proof read the above banter. chur chur 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

I cant see any issues, should be good to go. by the look of that one on TM it is an old Rage unit so the flange maynot fit with the stock mid-pipe. little things like that you have to keep in mind. 

@evowrx If you have a moment proof read the above banter. chur chur 

kinda looks like the midpipe flange is in the correct place/angle but the part that sticks out looks longer than stock. Im sure evowrx will tell us...

Edited by Subru

damn! i sold a brand new xforce one on TM not so long ago for $150bux and no body wanted to buy it for months lol...that thing looks rusty and old... it does look like it will fit the V7 pipe looks about the same as the one i sold.

yo werent you considering doing the whole exhaust at some stage? why not just wait it out and do the full exhaust system in one go with 3" all the way?

about whether it needs cat for wof, found this from VIRM which is what the Wof person (should) reference when checking your car. tldr if your car was registered in NZ before may 2010 (which it most likely was, but double check on carjam) then you are fine to remove it. if it makes it significantly louder tho then thats another can of worms . also check the rules around smoke, can't be smokey at 2500rpm. might also need someone to adjust ecu so it doesnt throw CEL?

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/exhaust/exhaust-emissions

2. A vehicle (other than group L vehicle or a class MA or MC motorsport vehicle with a valid motorsport authority card) that was first registered in New Zealand on or after 1 May 2010 and manufactured from 1 January 1990 has a catalytic converter removed where there is evidence that one was originally fitted, and there is no written evidence issued by an entry certifier that the vehicle passed a prescribed metered emissions test in this condition (Note 5) (Note 6) (Figure 11-2-1).

• Like 1

• Admin
17 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

yo werent you considering doing the whole exhaust at some stage? why not just wait it out and do the full exhaust system in one go with 3" all the way?

about whether it needs cat for wof, found this from VIRM which is what the Wof person (should) reference when checking your car. tldr if your car was registered in NZ before may 2010 (which it most likely was, but double check on carjam) then you are fine to remove it. if it makes it significantly louder tho then thats another can of worms . also check the rules around smoke, can't be smokey at 2500rpm. might also need someone to adjust ecu so it doesnt throw CEL?

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/exhaust/exhaust-emissions

If your GD STI is smokey at 2500rpm you have bigger issues than a missing cat :P

Also you won't get a CEL; worst case is you get occasional overboost.

8 minutes ago, boon said:

If your GD STI is smokey at 2500rpm you have bigger issues than a missing cat :P

Also you won't get a CEL; worst case is you get occasional overboost.

okay. speaking of boost. My gauge reads almost 20psi... is that correct? My gauge is also cheap and from china and when I hit boost the needle wobbles a bunch so its hard to tell... I made a video of it if you would like to see... 

3 minutes ago, boon said:

What counts as "a while"? You should have full boost in the early to mid 3000's, depending on gear and load.

nah I have full boost around 4k im pretty sure, gets to 15 ish by 3.5k ish. Hope my bov isnt leaking or anything.

3 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Run it on up on a dyno and get them to log boost. Will give you a baseline providing you use same dyno for tune.

Could get someone local to log the ecu to check boost too. Cost you a box.

Might get Prestiges to do it, probably get a tune there in the future

Edited by Subru