Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car started making weird noise

Was driving my car home tonight (2007 Legacy GT JDM), stopped at the lights and then took off, this weird exhaust-y noise came from the front of my car closer to engine bay, I thought it was a Honda next to me at first but then realised it car from my car. I stopped on the side and turned off the car and started it back up again, still had that noise.. A bit louder through the lower rpms, and I can't really hear my exhaust from the back (HKS hi flow exhaust).. Also feels like there's less power..

Gonna take her to the mechanic tomorrow morning, but any ideas what it could be? I checked under the hood once I got home, couldn't find anything unusual..

9 minutes ago, boon said:

Exhaust gasket blowout somewhere.

Or just for a total random one, idler pulley bearing is about to die.

Would exhaust gasket blowout cause loss in power? I think my car lost a bit of power since it started making that noise...
Idler pulley bearing, whats the damage like on the bank usually?

Just now, sobanoodle said:

Did you get the brakes sorted in the end? 

I'm waiting on some brake hardware to arrive, gonna change the brake hardware and then try and clean up the brakes as much as possible and hopefully it'll make a difference... So far it still sounds like 1000 dying kittens...

• Admin

Could be down on power if its a big enough leak pre turbo. Could almost be something on the intake side too. Torn intake pipes can make some weird flappy/buzzy noises and would definately have a decent impact on performance

1 minute ago, Andy_Mac said:

Could be down on power if its a big enough leak pre turbo. Could almost be something on the intake side too. Torn intake pipes can make some weird flappy/buzzy noises and would definately have a decent impact on performance

At first I thought it was intake too, but had a look at it, checked filter and everything and it seemed fine... Think it could be a gasket leak then... Hopefully..

• Admin

Lot more to it than just by the filter. You'd have a hard time knowing if the preturbo pipe or throttlebody one was torn visually, wouldn't necessarily make a heap of noise with idle load either. 

Regardless, the mechanic should be able to narrow it down in a jiffy. 

• Like 1

Went Pitstop, it was an exhaust leak by the secondary cat.. Getting it straight piped and deleting the secondary cat as the cat's half broken anyway, hopefully it's only a little bit louder..

@sobanoodle you still want a video? I took one and it basically sounds like exhaust leak hahaha