Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ECU Issues - 3B to 6K

Dr. Boxer

Hi Guys,

I've got a nearly-stock 01/96 GF8 (4-plug ECU type) with 145k's on it. Car was previously running well without issue. 

In preparation for switching to TD05 and 6K ECU I (apparently foolishly) decided to test the 6K ECU in the car to check that it worked. The 6K also had a chip from re-map.co.nz (now out of business). The car ran fine with the 6K but would occasionally hit what felt like fuel cut at night in cold weather, boosting ~15psi.

I then swapped back to my 3B GF8 ECU after a few days and the car immediately developed a boost issue:

-The car won't boost over 6 psi without hitting fuel cut; has thrown error code 45 and I have replaced MAP sensor and brown pressure control solenoid with no difference.

-Bypassing the boost control solenoid with a manual boost tap doesn't get around the issue

Could my replacement MAP sensor also be defective? Or have I damaged something e.g. ECU, CAT by running higher boost for a bit.

Any thoughts much appreciated. Cheers

Edited by Dr. Boxer

Yes, twice, via both green & black cables connected & going for a drive.

1st reset: new code 12 (starter switch) + jerking/clicking behind dash at low revs (like ECU losing power)

2nd reset: new code 32 (O2 sensor)

These seem like obviously bogus codes; clearly I've damaged the ECU in the swap somehow

Edited by Dr. Boxer

Sounds very strange. Was anything else changed like injectors or turbo ect? Are you 100% sure the vacuum lines are plumbed in correctly? I've played with 4plug ecus a lot and never had anything like that happen with regards to codes randomly popping up. Chip tunes are a dangerous thing, it's hard to know what's actually on them and if it's even suitable for your car is luck of the draw. Check the plugs are securely plugged in and the wires aren't loose in the plug at ecu? 

15psi is too high for stock engine imo. Wouldn't run more than 12. map sensor maxes out around that 15psi.

Try disconnecting battery and letting it sit 30mins see if that clears it up. 

2 hours ago, slystiguy said:

Sounds very strange. Was anything else changed like injectors or turbo ect? Are you 100% sure the vacuum lines are plumbed in correctly? I've played with 4plug ecus a lot and never had anything like that happen with regards to codes randomly popping up. Chip tunes are a dangerous thing, it's hard to know what's actually on them and if it's even suitable for your car is luck of the draw. Check the plugs are securely plugged in and the wires aren't loose in the plug at ecu? 

15psi is too high for stock engine imo. Wouldn't run more than 12. map sensor maxes out around that 15psi.

Try disconnecting battery and letting it sit 30mins see if that clears it up. 

Thanks, yes very odd. I've swapped intercoolers and checked all the vacuum lines with no obvious leaks but will be replacing all vac lines this weekend. No obviously loose wires on the ECU harness. Nothing else was changed on the car whatsoever.

Yes, totally appreciate I was tempting fate by testing the chipped 6K. It was maxing out at 15psi when ~5 degrees out, otherwise ran about 14 psi. I suppose it's possible my MAP sensor was damaged and the replacement was also a dud.

I put the 6K back in today as the 3B was causing the car to be undrivable with what felt like intermittent signal from the starter switch; it seems to run better, though still won't boost smoothly. 

I'll check/replace lines and ensure plugs fitted correctly over the weekend.

What's your location? 

Why was the inter-cooler replaced? What was it replaced with? Full details 

Check inter-cooler pipes aren't split, check they're on snug and tightly clamped, check they haven't moved since last installation just in case they've moved.

Check fuel pressure

Check coil packs for cracks

Check vacuum lines, anything cracking or brittle needs replacing,  also no small weak cable ties only strong ones or use screw clamps!

The pipes to and from the turbo need to be snug and tight, no leaks, no cracks, the vacuum plumbing has to be exactly correct and with restriction pill fitted. These are all things you can do yourself. A second set of eyes helps!

Thanks for the reply; I'm in Wellington.

Swapped between the silver STi slanty and WRX slanty and replaced vacuum lines with no change. 

Will check coil packs and fuel but given the issues with multiple codes strongly suspecting ECU issues. Am sourcing another ECU to test. 

Cheers for the help! Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...