Subru

Is my clutch going?

40 posts in this topic

I recently found that in 4th gear, if I boost it, at around 4k rpm the revs increase faster than normal but doesnt really effect the power to the wheels, does this mean my clutch is slipping and its going?

If its doing it in 4th, it'll be doing it in 5th and 6th. Subies will let go in the higher gears before you notice the slip in lower gears.

Chances are that yes, it is a Poked clutch.

When rreplacing it, use a genuine sti clutch. They hold over 260kW at the wheels happily on the factory kit, and look how many kms it's lasted so far. The genuine kit is an excedy clutch, and has an uprated pressure plate and release bearing. Use nothing less than the best :-P

2 minutes ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

If its doing it in 4th, it'll be doing it in 5th and 6th. Subies will let go in the higher gears before you notice the slip in lower gears.

Chances are that yes, it is a Poked clutch.

When rreplacing it, use a genuine sti clutch. They hold over 260kW at the wheels happily on the factory kit, and look how many kms it's lasted so far. The genuine kit is an excedy clutch, and has an uprated pressure plate and release bearing. Use nothing less than the best :-P

okay, yeah it does it in 5th too and probably 6th. What does it cost to get a new genuine clutch and whats cost to get installed or should I do it myself (never done clutch tho)? :o 

Genuine clutch plates, pressure plate and release bearing from memory is about 730-750 ish. 

You want to, at minimum, skim your flywheel while you are there.

To do in a shop, new clutch is anywhere between 1500-2k depending on where you go. Pain in the arse to do on your own too, them 6speed boxes are heavy. 

However.

Box of beers and a few mates can have it done in a weekend

1 person likes this

It's pretty obvious if it's slipping; if the revs increase and the speed doesn't (by the speedo, not your butt-o-meter) then the clutch is sad.

Plus you'll usually smell it pretty quickly!

16 minutes ago, boon said:

It's pretty obvious if it's slipping; if the revs increase and the speed doesn't (by the speedo, not your butt-o-meter) then the clutch is sad.

Plus you'll usually smell it pretty quickly!

yeah in the last few weeks I been smelling some weird hot/burning smell. possibly the clutch now I think of it...

Last clutch I replaced was about two years ago and cost about $1100 all up..

Genuine exedy sti kit around $600 and the rest labour..

Shop around for good deal..

Make sure they price the exedy..

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, pedro said:

Last clutch I replaced was about two years ago and cost about $1100 all up..

Genuine exedy sti kit around $600 and the rest labour..

Shop around for good deal..

Make sure they price the exedy..

Our Mechanic can do it for around 1200 so that sounds fairly reasonable.

3 people like this

Don't drive it too hard with a slipping clutch. You can quite easily end up ruining the flywheel too by overheating it and causing hard spots and cracks in it.

Is the genuine replacement clutch the exedy one? 

I got quoted 795 for 'genuine clutch' and 950 for 'exedy clutch". I presume the 950$ one is not the genuine one but a better one and the 795 one is the genuine but still exedy?

22 minutes ago, Subru said:

I got quoted 795 for 'genuine clutch' and 950 for 'exedy clutch". I presume the 950$ one is not the genuine one but a better one and the 795 one is the genuine but still exedy?

Generally your average workshop works on 30% markup minimum on parts. Supply it yourself.

2 people like this

I just bought 6 speed clutch and flywheel from drews automotive, sponsor of flatnats for 1100 dollars and upgraded to take 450wkw. I would contact then first will be cheaper than other options. I suppose members should support sponsors of flatnats etc.  

1 person likes this

The prices given is the clutch kits only, not labour etc.

If I was to get the genuine kit myself, could I get it for less than 795? 

1 hour ago, Subru said:

The prices given is the clutch kits only, not labour etc.

If I was to get the genuine kit myself, could I get it for less than 795? 

Quite likely yes. Hit up Hamish at sublab in Whangarei see what sort of deal he can cut. The release and spigot bearings are ridiculous money thro Subaru iirc at least on the 5mt anyway. Can always buy both plates thro partsouq and the bearings aftermarket.

On 09/08/2017 at 4:08 PM, Subru said:

Genuine clutch is still excedy, and when I checked part numbers last they were the same as the non genuine "upgrade" offered by excedy 

Imho

Go genuine. They will handle over 260kW, they are cheap, they are nice to drive with and can still comfortably daily 

11 minutes ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

Genuine clutch is still excedy, and when I checked part numbers last they were the same as the non genuine "upgrade" offered by excedy 

Imho

Go genuine. They will handle over 260kW, they are cheap, they are nice to drive with and can still comfortably daily 

yep definitly, was just making sure the genuine one was the excedy one. :) 

1 person likes this

the only difference between genuine Subaru and aftermarket ones are the release bearings. aftermarket release bearing inner sleeve that slides on the gearbox shaft has a plastic housing whereas genuine ones are full metal housing. thats what makes me lean more towards genuine. RRP genuine is around $725.

1 person likes this

On 8/9/2017 at 6:46 PM, evowrx said:

Quite likely yes. Hit up Hamish at sublab in Whangarei see what sort of deal he can cut. The release and spigot bearings are ridiculous money thro Subaru iirc at least on the 5mt anyway. Can always buy both plates thro partsouq and the bearings aftermarket.

Got quoted $821.10 and $46 for shipping for the kit, Prestige is doing it for $795 Thats for the whole kit tho. Cant be bothered buying stuff from all over the place if it only saves me a small amount. What do you think you can get all the stuff for?

Posted (edited)

Drews automotive got them on trade me for 420 and it will take the power in a daily driver. I don't see the point of paying double When this will definitely do the job. 

I wouldn't get hung up on genuine or not, I had a crap Chinese one on my car at 300+ wkw and it lasted fine, only changed it as I thought it wouldn't last, when I removed it, it had loads of meat left on it. I was seriously impressed by it. 

Edited by Username

Update:

So the slipping stopped for a bit however has started happening again in the last month or so and is continuing. I am extremely baffled as its not getting any worse, it still slips in high gears when I hit peak power but even then, it doesnt always slip, sometimes it slips so I lift off then put foot down again and its fine... 

Something is definitely slipping and im pretty sure its not the wheels :P 

Check the rear drive shafts. One of mine in the forester popped out and felt like a slipping clutch hen would engage on splines for a bit before popping off Again. The front shafts have pins to lock in but he rears just pop in depending on what type you have

55 minutes ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

Check the rear drive shafts. One of mine in the forester popped out and felt like a slipping clutch hen would engage on splines for a bit before popping off Again. The front shafts have pins to lock in but he rears just pop in depending on what type you have

Okay, what should I look for? shall I just wiggle them around or something?

Okay, what should I look for? shall I just wiggle them around or something?

This was mine when it was really just hanging out c6f5ee8b4a90241dec60ea05134c847f.jpg
It should be almost flush up against the diff. When it comes out under power well mine did sometimes it would make a crunch noise too as the spines slipped