Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

McIntosh Sub replacement

morry10nz

Car - 2006 Subaru Legacy 3.0R-B WAGON with McIntosh factory 12 speaker system. 

So I have the standard issue that the factory McIntosh sub has split (I got it repaired at Axent Audio in Auckland but within a few weeks it had split in another place) so I am keen to replace it.

I have fitted a blue-tooth kit to the factory McIntosh head unit as I quite like the factory set up, and basically couldn't justify the massive effort and price in changing out the head unit with it being interconnected with the dual zone climate a/c unit.
I have found a replacement Sub which is a KENWOOD EXCELON KFC-XW800F SHALLOW-MOUNT 8″ 4-OHM SUBWOOFER from Driving Sound on Dominion Road - kenwood-excelon-kfc-xw800f-shallow-mount-8-4-ohm-subwoofer. The McIntosh is 4 ohm and so is the Kenwood unit I have found.

I like my music but wouldn't say I particularly crank it all that much, thus I am not keen to go and "start again" with the whole system in order to get some that is next level. 

I want to know if the Kenwood unit will work as a straight replacement and will work with the factory amp (under passenger seat) as I have read some forums which make me think it won't, but the people at Driving Sound seem to think it will.

The next issue is fitting it into the back right corner of my wagon, as although the unit isn't any deeper it is slightly wider overall (behind the front of the sub) so the bracket space needs to be increased. I could pay another $200 bucks and get  box for it but then I loose some boot space the factory look which is quite important to me. 

As I am new to Auckland, I wondered if there is an automotive fabricator/chippie or someone else handy who I should/could get to do it. I just need some assistance in carving out some more space in that back right corner and creating a slot for the new sub. I am happy to pay the money to get it done properly as opposed to stuffing it up myself! A quick Google landed me on "Stu's Trim and Sound in Manukau. I am sure they could do it easily enough - any other suggestions or comments on the above in terms of things I have overlooked?!

cheers. Mark 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Ummm, I'll need to find it but there is a discussion somewhere else a about  sub that is direct swap.

I have a "Yatour BTA" in my BP's that have a Mcintosh system that I got on Aliexpress. Chinese unit that is half the price of an AnyCar unit and works great.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 10:32 PM, Cookasaurus said:

How'd you get on with this Mark? I'm in a similar situation with my new 04 outback and I'm reluctant to strip out the old system as I did with my old subie (took a day). Also, what bluetooth system did you install? Cheers - Peter

I ended up doing a straight swap for a new sub in the boot as the factory one kept tearing. I used Rapid Radio just off K Road and they installed it for me while I waited. Seems to be working fine and I've had it for the last 4-5 months. I didn't end up getting the one I quoted in my original post, but another one that was slightly cheaper that they had in stock. If you drop in and see them they will be able to show you a couple of options. Zero Flex 8" woofer. 

Edited by morry10nz

On 3/8/2018 at 10:32 PM, Cookasaurus said:

How'd you get on with this Mark? I'm in a similar situation with my new 04 outback and I'm reluctant to strip out the old system as I did with my old subie (took a day). Also, what bluetooth system did you install? Cheers - Peter

Foe the bluetooth system, get in touch with a guy called Lance - he is based in West Auckland and has a mobile service. 021526 238. Plus he has a legacy wagon himself so you know he knows what he is doing and can see it in action before he does the work. Works with my music/spotify and can answer and end calls with my steering wheel buttons. Its great! 

On 3/9/2018 at 9:14 AM, willisnz said:

Ummm, I'll need to find it but there is a discussion somewhere else a about  sub that is direct swap.

I have a "Yatour BTA" in my BP's that have a Mcintosh system that I got on Aliexpress. Chinese unit that is half the price of an AnyCar unit and works great.

Was this the one you bought?

https://tinyurl.com/y9fw7nyw

Seems to be the only one on Aliexpress with the correct plug?

Appreciate all your responses thank you. Yes, looks like the Bluetooth hijacks the clarion bus interface since they made them for McIntosh.

I've picked up a shallow mount pioneer sub for the gap. Have been considering a high-low level converter for a new sub amp, but found my front speakers are shot. Replacing those hits issues on impedance (4ohm vs 8) and potential crossover issues if I drop in components and the stock amp is also filtering the signal before the crossovers. I'm going to have a crack at completely redoing the system if anyone is interested in the details, tapping into stock speaker wiring etc.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:44 PM, Cookasaurus said:

Appreciate all your responses thank you. Yes, looks like the Bluetooth hijacks the clarion bus interface since they made them for McIntosh.

I've picked up a shallow mount pioneer sub for the gap. Have been considering a high-low level converter for a new sub amp, but found my front speakers are shot. Replacing those hits issues on impedance (4ohm vs 8) and potential crossover issues if I drop in components and the stock amp is also filtering the signal before the crossovers. I'm going to have a crack at completely redoing the system if anyone is interested in the details, tapping into stock speaker wiring etc.

We love pictures showing progress here :) Sounds like you've got some fun on your hands!

• 2 months later...

Hi team! Sorry to bump the thread but I too have the McIntosh speaker system in my 07 LGT and it’s done the exact same thing. I can’t live without having some element of bass as the speakers sound terrible without a sub.

Can anyone please recommend me if a factory replacement sub which I can take out and put in or let me know if it’s possible to buy a seperate small sub and plug it into the factory amp (can find any inputs) 

Orrrrr if I can just get a new sub/amp and some how wire it to the Mcintosh head unit? 

Thankyouuuu!!!

I'm still yet to do mine, but I've picked up a shallow mount pioneer sub from trademe (120w nom by memory) that should slot in. haven't tried on the original amp for now, as i'll give it a better source later. Andy above using a Hi-Lo converter is an easy solution! Some older amps have high level inputs too.

I'm going to strip the rest, as confirmed the front speaker woofers have lost their foam surround and don't want to dabble with fixing/replacing those drivers. At the recent auto sound&security, they had a single dim headunit mounted into the McIntosh headunit area quite nicely so I'm going to try this.

Thanks guys!

I may be retarded but ive has a look on TradeMe to no avail. Any cheap/reliable websites anyone can recommend? 

https://www.qualitycaraudio.co.nz/zeroflex-zf8fd-8-240w-120w-rms-subaru-factory-repacement-car-subwoofer-with-easy-finance-9273

im guessing this would be sweet though? :) 

The only reason i son I ask is the macintosh one in swapping for days max 70w 4Ohm so I don’t want to damage the amp. Complete noob here sorry guys, maybe the amp will only provide upto a certain amount (70w) to the new sub anyway etc 

Edited by csrgm1915

@Cookasaurus would you say I’m better off to buy a new amp to replace the Mcintosh one at the same time as the sub then? 

Ive just read that the original poster installed the Zeroflex 8” subwoofer too and didn’t have problems so I’ll go with that if you all think it will be sweet with the stock amp?

Finding an 8” sub which is only 70w max will be quite hard! Haha. 

Edited by csrgm1915

On 6/7/2018 at 3:31 PM, csrgm1915 said:

@Cookasaurus would you say I’m better off to buy a new amp to replace the Mcintosh one at the same time as the sub then? 

Ive just read that the original poster installed the Zeroflex 8” subwoofer too and didn’t have problems so I’ll go with that if you all think it will be sweet with the stock amp?

Finding an 8” sub which is only 70w max will be quite hard! Haha. 

Hi @csrgm1915 yep still very happy with my option from Rapid Radio, cheap and easy replacement and gives me enough performance my my relatively basic needs, more punchy than the original sub too. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 10:58 PM, Individualities said:

Adding a question to this - 

Would an underseat sub be an alternative, if you're not able to find a suitable 6x9 sub?

Not looking for LOTS of bass. Just enough so my sound system doesn't sound so flat.

I toyed with this idea too but wasn’t sure about hooking it up to my McIntosh headunit etc as the amp for the factory is pretty weak.

in the end I just removed the broken McIntosh sub and went to town with epoxy around the outside of the torn speaker and put it back in, sounds pretty good for me! Haha

• 1 month later...

I’m looking at getting the Zeroflex Sub for my Legacy. Is everyone pretty happy with it?

If anyone is looking for replacement speakers for the front I would highly recommend the 6” Kevlar cone woofers from surplustronics.co.nz (link below). BUT BE WARNED!! It’s an absolute mission to get them installed because the magnet is huge so you’ll need spacers, remove some of the plastic ribs on the inside of the door card, some self tapping screws, an impact driver or drill with hex bits and a bit of massaging/good placement so it doesn’t hit the window when you wind it down. They are awesome speakers though so if you’re willing to put in the effort then it’s worth it! I also bought an 8” Kevlar cone woofer to replace the sub but I didn’t realise the sub was only 4ohms so the new 8” 8ohm woofer is only about half as loud as the stock one :’) hence why I’m looking at the Zeroflex. 

https://www.surplustronics.co.nz/products/576-wide-range-kevlar-cone-woofer-65-inch-

• 1 year later...

My car: 2005 Outback wagon 3.0R LL Bean with 12+1 McIntosh system.

Sub and woofers and mids are all fried, so I'm replacing all speakers (but will stick to the McIntosh head unit and amp for now).

It looks like the new version of this sub is 2ohm. I need 4ohm, so this will be no good I assume?

https://www.qualitycaraudio.co.nz/zeroflex-zf8fd-8-240w-120w-rms-subaru-factory-repacement-car-subwoofer-with-easy-finance-9273

(Some sellers of this Zeroflex sub list it as 4ohm in the product heading, but 2ohm in the specs, I just got the guy at qualitycaraudio to check with a multimeter and he confirmed it's 2ohm, the older versions were 4ohm.)

• 11 months later...

I know the last comment was a year ago - on a thread from 2017 - but this thread comes up in Google when searching shallow 8" subs, so I figured I'd add this info.  

Another option seems to be Kenwood KFC-XW800F: https://www.hotwirenz.co.nz/8-shallow-subwoofer-600w-peak/ 

In that link it is/was $160, although some other NZ sites have it at $200-$250.

• Like 1

Weirdly enough I think a few of us keep tabs on these topics. Kenwood sub looks nice. Wonder how the basket compares to the pioneer I put in as had to bend a bit of metal to make it fit as 8" doesn't always equal 8". Since installing, I've put in a removable 12" type s for those solo long commutes when I want a bit of punch.

• Like 1

I ended up using Pioneer TS-SW2002D2

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount/TS-SW2002D2

It works. I can't say it has massive oomph (but the original McIntosh didn't either) but that could be improved with the amp gain hack that's mentioned elsewhere here. I may do it one day... Overall I'm happy with the sound in my car but I get a lot of bass from the Alpine R-series I put in the front (I took them out of my previous 1995 Legacy).

Warning: I had to trim about 8-10mm off the rim of the Pioneer all the way around to get it to fit. The rims are quite wide and there was still plenty of rim left for the six attachment screws to hold so no problem. Avoid this one if you don't like the idea of buying something new then immediately attacking it with an angle grinder... Cover the openings in the side of the speaker with duct or packing tape so you don't get hot sparks inside the speaker when cutting.

It's not easy to find a sub that fits and has the right impedance, and with power in the sensible range. They come and go and specs change regularly.