Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Which is a better work vehicle out of...

swamp

A 1st gen Legacy (BC, BF) or a non-turbo Impreza wagon? 

I'm trying to become a carpentry apprentice. The Impreza wagon probably doesn't have enough room but say if both have the 1.8L or 2.0L naturally aspirated, and fwd, which would be the better vehicle for me? I've researched a little and the Legacy weighs approx 200kg more so would use more gas but shouldn't be an issue if the NA's run fine on 91. :) 

I would go for a legacy wagon as it has more room in the back and will be better to fit bigger things in.

stay away from anything under 2 litre as they are under powered especially if auto.

AWD may be handy for accessing muddy sites. Also even N/A needs to run on minimum 95 to get any sort of decent fuel economy.

Trust me Ive tested this.

Any reason on BF wagons? what about a BG or BH? 

• Like 2

Out of those two the Legacy has much more room, and has a flat floor and no lip like the Impreza, however if you want space you should go for a 3rd gen Legacy. 

Thats when they went to the multi link rear end, and as such they dont have the strut towers encroaching on the trunk space.

My mates got a BC2 which is the 1.8 fwd and it has enough power to commute him to work and back, but its not fast. If you're loading it up with heavy S*** you might want to stick with 2litres and up. The Brighton 220s were alright, with the sohc 2.2 motor, but with 1st gen Legacies they arent as common any more so its a case of taking what you can get! :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joker said:

what kind or work?

I haven't begun yet but I'm trying to become a builder lol

Looks like it's a Legacy then. I like first gen as I like older cars, but if I find myself needing more space it'll probably be a 3rd gen or bite the bullet and get a van/ute etc.

• General Member

yeah propper wagon then not a Sport Hatch WRX

couple Plywood sheets make a bed / acces via rear doors with seats down etc

maybe witha big slider or draw under neath false floor etc