Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

VF34 upgrade options

Ants1

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice, my VF34 isn’t performing as it should, appears to have chips on the inlet turbine and doesn’t spin freely.

From what I’ve read it looks like the td05-18g is a good fit (car’s a v7 Spec C) for what I’m after – bolt on, not that far off factory spool and has more top end.

I’ve been quoted $1350 incl for genuine MHI turbo core and bearings, aftermarket housing, billet turbine etc. from Total Turbo in Lower Hutt

Am also looking to replace the injectors and the intercooler at the same time, to get the most out of the turbo. Prestige Performance has quoted me $150 x4 for 1000cc injectors. I assume these are ID1000’s.

Is it worth making the switch to a front mount intercooler, or would a good top mount do the job? Has anyone had any experience with Total Turbo or td05-18g’s? Are 1000CC injectors too big/not big enough? I’d like to have room for flexi fuel later on.

• Like 1

• Admin
34 minutes ago, Ants1 said:

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice, my VF34 isn’t performing as it should, appears to have chips on the inlet turbine and doesn’t spin freely.

From what I’ve read it looks like the td05-18g is a good fit (car’s a v7 Spec C) for what I’m after – bolt on, not that far off factory spool and has more top end.

I’ve been quoted $1350 incl for genuine MHI turbo core and bearings, aftermarket housing, billet turbine etc. from Total Turbo in Lower Hutt

Am also looking to replace the injectors and the intercooler at the same time, to get the most out of the turbo. Prestige Performance has quoted me $150 x4 for 1000cc injectors. I assume these are ID1000’s.

Is it worth making the switch to a front mount intercooler, or would a good top mount do the job? Has anyone had any experience with Total Turbo or td05-18g’s? Are 1000CC injectors too big/not big enough? I’d like to have room for flexi fuel later on.

In all seriousness, send the turbo to Steve Murch and he can rebuild the turbo and put a new compressor wheel on it and make it like new. Believe that costs around 550-700. 

Think that include a new billet compressor wheel as well, which should improve performance somewhat over the original factory item.

• Like 1

I spoke with Possum Bourne a few weeks back and they said they hadn't had good experiences with rebuilt VF34's. They would generally only lasted a few years before they started to smoke, has anyone else had a similar experience?

are prestige performance tuning the car or just providing the parts? if not then speak to your tuner about the brand of injectors. a good set of injectors will be able to be tuned down well and perform just as good low down as it does up to, cheaper injectors may only provide you that up top performance and be all over the show down low. if the car will do daily duties it'll be worthwhile taking this in to consideration.

swapping to a front mount at this stage may not be entirely necessary but it will help you combat heat soak for sustained power, plus it's never bad putting cooler air in to your engine

I use the car as my weekend car, plan was to eventually take it to the occasional track day, haven't got round to this yet though. I will be getting Prestige to re-tune the car once the turbo etc is installed, they performed the current tune (on a Link G4). Chris from Prestige said it should still retain a good idle with that size of injector.

• Admin

They won't be ID1000's or 1050X's, not for $150 each anyway.

If you're going to be spending solid coin (Injectors, maybe front mount, tune blah blah) then spend the extra $1000 and get a turbo that will deliver 260-270wkw instead of 230 or so.

• Like 3

I'm kind of with boon. But if thats too much money just grab a bolt on turbo like the td05 18 or 20g, injectors and add e85 for a bit extra power. It will be quicker than what you currently have without spending big money.

Or break your wallet on a decent turbo, twisted setup and fmic.

Either way you will need a 3" turbo back exhaust with no cat.

Just get the same turbo, new or rebuilt.

New injectors / intercooler wont make much difference - unless you plan on getting an ecu & tune. (or is the v7 one of those cars you can tune the factory ecu)

in that case, go nuts, big turbo, big injectors, big fronty :) 

boon is kinda right from that view... tunes and labour associated with turbo change is all expensive. i imagine a little bit more on the turbo now will get you something that'll really help you juice the most power out of your buck especialy if you do end up getting the injectors and front mount...  make sure to get upgraded fuel pump at same time and maybe sort out a fuel pressure regulator

I thought the td05-18g was good for circa 250-260kw? I have turbo back exhaust, DW300 fuel pump, G4 Link etc and was tuned for 206kwatw with the faulty turbo. The cheapest I can find a new VF34 is for 2.2k, and VF30 for 1600 brand new.

I've pulled the VF34 out already to have it inspected and was planning on installing the td05 myself given it's just a bolt on. Surely it can't be that hard?

15 minutes ago, Ants1 said:

I thought the td05-18g was good for circa 250-260kw?

Maybe with meth/ethanol on a relatively stock ej20.

VF30 is journal bearing, VF34 ball bearing, slight differences in the turbine housing mean they aren't just bolt-on swaps if keeping the same turbine housing.

If the TD05 has the correct compressor housing, sure it ain't that bad to install. Make sure you have the correct restrictor banjo bolt for the oil feed (different to the VF34 restrictor banjo bolt).

Edited by Jono24

td05 no way, maybe closer to 230kw atw which is still good given how responsive they are, but what we're saying is with the amount that's being spent already it would be a shame not to go just a little further and hit 260/270.. anyway there's always gonna be that element of 'just a little more and will have this much more power' so fair enough of you to draw the line somewhere, someones gotta be sensible around here :)  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ants1 said:

I thought the td05-18g was good for circa 250-260kw? I have turbo back exhaust, DW300 fuel pump, G4 Link etc and was tuned for 206kwatw with the faulty turbo. The cheapest I can find a new VF34 is for 2.2k, and VF30 for 1600 brand new.

I've pulled the VF34 out already to have it inspected and was planning on installing the td05 myself given it's just a bolt on. Surely it can't be that hard?

My rs made 187kw atw with a td05 (think it was 18g, might have been 16g) with usual mods, yellows, big fuel pump, link g4, downpipe. i recently upgraded to the kinugawa td05 20g (with billet wheel etc) havnt had results yet but im only expecting 220-240kw tbh, you can get them to fit bolt on from driven performance website, they make them to what ever you like, so i got the upgraded option and welded up internal gate, was around 1750 iirc, could be a good option if you just want to put it in yourself

+ will defy need a tune to see some good numbers imo

6 minutes ago, THUNDA said:

My rs made 187kw atw with a td05 (think it was 18g, might have been 16g) with usual mods, yellows, big fuel pump, link g4, downpipe. i recently upgraded to the kinugawa td05 20g (with billet wheel etc) havnt had results yet but im only expecting 220-240kw tbh, you can get them to fit bolt on from driven performance website, they make them to what ever you like, so i got the upgraded option and welded up internal gate, was around 1750 iirc, could be a good option if you just want to put it in yourself

+ will defy need a tune to see some good numbers imo

If it was a v1/2 sti one with the 90deg cover it will be a small 16g. Cheaper to buy direct from Kinugawa too.

• Like 2

A friend of mine (QWERTY on here) has a bolt on turbo he used to use lying around. Was making about 260kwatw

Cant remember exactly what it was but i'll send him a message. Was one of those popular a while back turbos based on the small trim GT30r wheels. MD321 perhaps?

34 minutes ago, Optical said:

A friend of mine (QWERTY on here) has a bolt on turbo he used to use lying around. Was making about 260kwatw

Cant remember exactly what it was but i'll send him a message. Was one of those popular a while back turbos based on the small trim GT30r wheels. MD321 perhaps?

Yep was md321 variant and still had it last time I was looking.

• 1 month later...

Okay so I've purchased the turbo, it's a MD321M non billet wheel version. Should be picking it up in a week or so. It was supposedly making around 270kwatw on a forged gc8 prior.

Just trying to put my shopping list together - 

Injectors - ID1050x $195 x 4 what size O ring do I need? http://www.nzperformance.co.nz/injector-dynamics-fuel-injectors/injector-dynamics-id1050x-1065cc-fuel-injector.html

Intercooler - Kinda leaning towards an upgraded top mount. Is there anywhere you can you buy Process West stuff in NZ?

turbo beanie?

Fuel pressure regulator?

What else do i need? Worth getting a new exhaust manifold?

What I've got already

- Turbo back exhaust

- eboost controller

- link G4

- DW200 or 300 fuel pump not sure which, STM installed it

- ACL bearings, v8 nitrated crank, 11mm oil pump, baffled sump.

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Ants1 said:

Okay so I've purchased the turbo, it's a MD321M non billet wheel version. Should be picking it up in a week or so. It was supposedly making around 270kwatw on a forged gc8 prior.

Just trying to put my shopping list together - 

Injectors - ID1050x $195 x 4 what size O ring do I need? http://www.nzperformance.co.nz/injector-dynamics-fuel-injectors/injector-dynamics-id1050x-1065cc-fuel-injector.html

Intercooler - Kinda leaning towards an upgraded top mount. Is there anywhere you can you buy Process West stuff in NZ?

turbo beanie?

Fuel pressure regulator?

What else do i need? Worth getting a new exhaust manifold?

What I've got already

- Turbo back exhaust

- eboost controller

- link G4

- DW200 or 300 fuel pump not sure which, STM installed it

- ACL bearings, v8 nitrated crank, 11mm oil pump, baffled sump.

If you call NZ Performance, They'll tell you, and they'll probably give you different hats for the injectors because I believe the new x range of ID's are slightly shorter (for our stock rails anyway)? Anyway, just call Paul @ NZ performance and he'll help you.

If you're aiming for something above 240-250kw, don't waste your time with a FMIC unless you really don't like front mounts or just like spending money. Lots of expense with minimal returns imho. 

Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator. Don't skimp. 

Your exhaust may or may not fit with that turbo. /me shrugs. If you've got a 2.75-3" you'll not need an upgrade. 

As for your boost control, you should really be using your boost controller with the link. Not standalone, so I'd suggest changing that if possible. If you're changing boost after you've had a tune, then you're asking for a blown motor anyway. So just run it through the link.

• Like 1

Ah cool will give Paul a call.

What Aeromotive unit would you recommend, would this one be okay? http://www.nzperformance.co.nz/fuel-system/aeromotive-fuel-pressure-regulator/efi-bypass-regulator.html

I'm guessing a pressure gauge might be handy as well?

The down pipe is a xforce unit I think, one of these - https://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/product/xforce-subaru-wrx-gc8-forester-exhaust-down-pipe/

I think Chris at Prestige configured it so it uses the boost controller when he installed the Link, well I hope so anyway. I can double check when I take it back for the retune.

Edit:

Any recommendations on a Front Mount replacement? 

Edited by Ants1
Intercooler

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Ants1 said:

Ah cool will give Paul a call.

What Aeromotive unit would you recommend, would this one be okay? http://www.nzperformance.co.nz/fuel-system/aeromotive-fuel-pressure-regulator/efi-bypass-regulator.html

I'm guessing a pressure gauge might be handy as well?

The down pipe is a xforce unit I think, one of these - https://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/product/xforce-subaru-wrx-gc8-forester-exhaust-down-pipe/

I think Chris at Prestige configured it so it uses the boost controller when he installed the Link, well I hope so anyway. I can double check when I take it back for the retune.

Yep that's the FPR that I've got. Good little unit. and yes, a pressure gauge is a must. 

As for the downpipe, I'm just meaning while the turbo might bolt into place, it's exhaust housing might be longer or just slighly different orientation, requiring some changing of your downpipe. It's unlikely but just something to remember. 

That's a good idea about the Boost controller. I personally see no point in having it other than a gauge. Even then I'd just have a gauge haha