Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Internet tuning discussion

Etunes are fine, so long as the person recieving actually knows what they are looking at, and can pick out if a "tuner" has given them a bad tune.

Also, reputible companies only. And avoid off the shelf. 

Best option by far is actual dyno time, but if the etuner is any good then its no different to an actual road tune, just slower

11 minutes ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

Etunes are fine, so long as the person recieving actually knows what they are looking at, and can pick out if a "tuner" has given them a bad tune.

Best option by far is actual dyno time, but if the etuner is any good then its no different to an actual road tune, just slower

Really shouldnt be up to the customer to check if its a bad tune. There shouldnt be that margin of error regardless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evowrx said:

Really shouldnt be up to the customer to check if its a bad tune. There shouldnt be that margin of error regardless.

Oh I agree, there should be no reason why an end user should be questioning the tune but at the same time you get what you pay for. You cant expect a cheap tune to be a good tune, it simply doesnt work like that. 

Same as those "performance chips" or "electric turbos" its smoke and mirrors. Comes back to that old saying if its too good to be true, it probably is

similar risks apply both ways but who holds the liability is the biggest difference right?

i flash an etune, damages my engine.. where do i stand? it takes time to know what you're looking at to determine if you've been given a crap tune or not, i wouldn't want to be in a relationship with my tuner where i have to check all this. and on that note, if it's a reputable tuner and i trust them, i'll go through this process.

i get a tune from a local professional tuning shop that offers warranties on their workmanship, something goes wrong, i take it back to them and they sort me out. might take time, might need to escalate but we have many consumer rights that can be exercised in NZ. might not always win this battle but at least the person/company isn't in another country either. just because you do go to a local dyno/street tuner doesn't mean you'll get a good tune either, they could just as easily give you an off the shelf one so that risk still applies. again i depend here on finding someone reputable and establishing trust before forking out the hard earned $$

• Like 1

No reputable tuning shop with half a brain does a S*** or unsafe tune. Sure the customer always tries to blame the tune but it's generally something mechanical or a fault that causes the issue. You generally sign a waiver when you get your car tuned saying they take no responsibility if it blows up. To be fair they are trying to extract the best safe tune possible so its not going to blow up because of their doing.

4 hours ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

Good road tune is far superior to an e tune as anyone who is any good at road tunes will have seperate knock listening gear and a seperate wideband which will give more info to tuner and can rectify issues quicker should they arise. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, evowrx said:

No reputable tuning shop with half a brain does a S*** or unsafe tune. Sure the customer always tries to blame the tune but it's generally something mechanical or a fault that causes the issue. You generally sign a waiver when you get your car tuned saying they take no responsibility if it blows up. To be fair they are trying to extract the best safe tune possible so its not going to blow up because of their doing.

yep exactly, reputable shop has a lot more to lose therefore as a consumer your $$$ are safer spent there, it is after all their reputation on the line. some guy operating out of a home office other side of the world just has to change his company name and he has a clean slate if things go sour.

just saying tbh if you don't do your homework then the same risks apply local vs internet tuning, you could just as easily be given a crap or unsafe tune by some unscrupulous company it just doesn't happen as much in nz as it does in other countries but the scene could entirely change in 5 years.