Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Holset turbo

Hi

has anyone got a list of holset turbos with specifications, I've searched but can't find any info.  I.e sizes of:. Comp- inducer, exducer, trim, ar and  turbine - inducer, exducer and trim. 

Im looking to change my Garlett turbo for a holset, currently running gtx3071r. Want to see if I should change manufacturer or just go gtx3576r instead. 

Churs

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Username said:

Im looking to change my Garlett turbo for a holset,

Well, Garlett sounds a bit dodgy to me xD

In all seriousness though, Holset is a great turbo, but a GTX3071R should be more than capable, unless you're looking for 350kw+ range?

Holsets are cheap however. You're best off having a talk to Steve Murch Motorsport engineering about it as he sells his own range of Holset based performance turbos with some changes etc. 

sorry this isn't on topic but what car are you running the gtx3071r on , what engine (and is it stock?) , how much boost pressure, what's the boost curve and power output like (happen to have dyno sheets)? just been pretty curious about this one for a while but skewed results all over online forums

• Like 1

• Admin

What are you hoping to achieve with it?

I suspect in many instances, unless you went for a highly customised turbo, a Holset would be a step backwards from a GTX.

Holset is tough as anything and easily rebuildable, but in terms of flow and spool, as well as good results on Subarus, the edge would go to the Garrett.

9 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

sorry this isn't on topic but what car are you running the gtx3071r on , what engine (and is it stock?) , how much boost pressure, what's the boost curve and power output like (happen to have dyno sheets)? just been pretty curious about this one for a while but skewed results all over online forums

haha! your planning on getting a bigger turbo arent you! we are so alike lol :P 

• Like 1

Just now, THUNDA said:

haha! your planning on getting a bigger turbo arent you! we are so alike lol :P 

guild as charged lol. where was that addiction link again, maybe we can go together? trying to avoid buying any more this year, but nothing harmful came from doing a bit of window shopping right? nek minit...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

I don't have dyno sheets sorry, its on a classic Subaru, its not stock, I believe  forged internals. only running at 13 psi at the moment which gives 270 kw. I bought the car with this setup I didn't build it. old owner claims it made 300+ wkw at 22psi.   Id imagine its hard to see what would happen unless you have an exact same setup as someone else.  if I replace this turbo I will be selling it, it has hpc coated hot side too, so no need for turbo blanket.  

44 minutes ago, boon said:

What are you hoping to achieve with it?

I suspect in many instances, unless you went for a highly customised turbo, a Holset would be a step backwards from a GTX.

Holset is tough as anything and easily rebuildable, but in terms of flow and spool, as well as good results on Subarus, the edge would go to the Garrett.

Interesting you rate Garrett higher, everyone seems to rave about Holset. I do want the local support for it but ive been happy with current turbo if Garrett do flow better I may just go 3576 then. MSE turbos are not exactly easy to get hold of.  I'm looking to make 450wkw, why, I don't know, why not, but i'm going to have a few boost settings and 90% of the time it will be below 300wkw setting. I just want the option there if I need it. Build it once build it right mentality. I'm presently building a new motor all components are rated to 1000hp, I  intend to enter gtnz series where power above 400wkw is the norm.

• Like 1

The thing to you need to consider is buying off murch is he will spec whats required for the build. If you listen it pays off. If you dont the results less than desirable. Unfortunately that also costs money most dont have.

Take daynoms 2jz for example. Murch specced the build including header and it made more power than anyone here could dream of with insane response. 

I highly doubt a gtx3576 will make your 450wkw.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, evowrx said:

The thing to you need to consider is buying off murch is he will spec whats required for the build. If you listen it pays off. If you dont the results less than desirable. Unfortunately that also costs money most dont have.

Take daynoms 2jz for example. Murch specced the build including header and it made more power than anyone here could dream of with insane response. 

I highly doubt a gtx3576 will make your 450wkw.

I believe he would want to design, headers, up and down pipe etc plus supply turbo, go twin scroll. Which sinco priced at 3k for headers inc up pipe and 600 for down pipe,  Plus gst. Question is, will it be worth it? especially as I just spent 1.5 k hpc coating all the old parts. 

I wish i could know just how much better it would work, I.e. Spool time, torque, hp difference compared to just bolting a gtx3576r on the current setup. 

53 minutes ago, Username said:

I believe he would want to design, headers, up and down pipe etc plus supply turbo, go twin scroll. Which sinco priced at 3k for headers inc up pipe and 600 for down pipe,  Plus gst. Question is, will it be worth it? especially as I just spent 1.5 k hpc coating all the old parts. 

I wish i could know just how much better it would work, I.e. Spool time, torque, hp difference compared to just bolting a gtx3576r on the current setup. 

Generally he likes to spec engine as well or at least have a hand in it. What did Dave and Tony recommend?

15 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Generally he likes to spec engine as well or at least have a hand in it. What did Dave and Tony recommend?

Try to contact MSE. 

4 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Personally I don't see the point in a turbo in stock location on a build that gnarly. Why make it that much harder on yourself?

It's not stock location it's twisted, I agree wouldn't waste my time on stock location. I can fit a huge turbo there if need be but don't want a laggy as S*** turbo, but realise for 450 wkw may have little choice and the anti lag will be needed. I basically want the holly grail of high power quick response on small displacement engine

20 minutes ago, Username said:

Try to contact MSE. 

It's not stock location it's twisted, I agree wouldn't waste my time on stock location. I can fit a huge turbo there if need be but don't want a laggy as S*** turbo, but realise for 450 wkw may have little choice and the anti lag will be needed. I basically want the holly grail of high power quick response on small displacement engine

Yea I know that but it's in the same physical area so you are still hampered by the stupidly long exhaust runners. I was meaning front mounted turbo so you can get the headers the correct length suited to the engine.

• Admin

Yea I know that but it's in the same physical area so you are still hampered by the stupidly long exhaust runners. I was meaning front mounted turbo so you can get the headers the correct length suited to the engine.
I'd be curious to know how to achieve that on a gc8. There's not much space in the front.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Just now, Dairusire said:

I'd be curious to know how to achieve that on a gc8. There's not much space in the front.

Jump on the Google machine. V mount or side mount works then add a scavenge pump if low mounted.

Need to remember holsets like small runners and high velocity.

Look at the ez30r gt40 gc8 in oz. It's not impossible just requires creative thinking.

15 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Oh ok, I think I've seen it done low mounted in front but yeah I'm not interested in going down that route, far too much hassle and would require complete redesign and mega money, and in all honesty would it matter when running anti lag. I'd think running two smaller turbos fed by 1 and 3 one side and 2 and 4 the other. Seen that too but once again lot of work

Edited by Username

1 minute ago, Username said:

Oh ok, I think I've seen it done low mounted in front but yeah I'm not interested in going down that route, far too much hassle and would require complete redesign and mega money, and in all honesty would it matter when running anti lag. 

Sounds like bolting a gtx3582 onto your existing setup and big boost will solve your problem tbh. If it doesnt pan out you could kick it for close to your investment and only lose coin on install and tune. Then sit back and redesign from there.

What's holding the car back, egbp? I thought you were just keeping boost at 25psi to save pushing block too hard? 

Tony does bloody well in gtrnz granted he can drive the pants off the car but he's not pushing 400wkw. Surely response coming out of corners is somewhat important and just speculating but antilag could cost a fair bit in the long run? Do people run antilag in gtrnz?

• Admin
Oh ok, I think I've seen it done low mounted in front but yeah I'm not interested in going down that route, far too much hassle and would require complete redesign and mega money, and in all honesty would it matter when running anti lag. 
When you're talking something that's still a street car, I'd say it makes a large difference. I assume this is still a street car.

If you were to change headers it may well be worth it. The drop in header length gives a huuuuge difference in spool time.

Comparable build is Michael Sorenson I think is his name. Running gtx3582 .82 iirc and pushing mid 400wkw's? Sam hewitts v7 also made close to 500wkw with good delivery but was a dtech package from ground up.

9 minutes ago, Username said:

Oh ok, I think I've seen it done low mounted in front but yeah I'm not interested in going down that route, far too much hassle and would require complete redesign and mega money, and in all honesty would it matter when running anti lag. I'd think running two smaller turbos fed by 1 and 3 one side and 2 and 4 the other. Seen that too but once again lot of work

Certain Porsche build being built with that set up currently. Need to get it dead right. Pulses need to terminate in the housing so theres a little bit of calculator time involved. Ultimately a bit daft when you can achieve far better results with a big well thought out single setup.

5 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Sounds like bolting a gtx3582 onto your existing setup and big boost will solve your problem tbh. If it doesnt pan out you could kick it for close to your investment and only lose coin on install and tune. Then sit back and redesign from there.

What's holding the car back, egbp? I thought you were just keeping boost at 25psi to save pushing block too hard? 

Tony does bloody well in gtrnz granted he can drive the pants off the car but he's not pushing 400wkw. Surely response coming out of corners is somewhat important and just speculating but antilag could cost a fair bit in the long run? Do people run antilag in gtrnz?

Tony can drive bloody well, very well, his speed is down to his talent. I'm not tony I need the power and anti lag. 

Boost  is going up to 32 psi max, prob 30. I think the turbo is too small to hit over 410wkw. 

6 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

When you're talking something that's still a street car, I'd say it makes a large difference. I assume this is still a street car.

If you were to change headers it may well be worth it. The drop in header length gives a huuuuge difference in spool time.

It's not a road car. 

6 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Comparable build is Michael Sorenson I think is his name. Running gtx3582 .82 iirc and pushing mid 400wkw's? Sam hewitts v7 also made close to 500wkw with good delivery but was a dtech package from ground up.

Yeah I know of Michael and he runs anti lag, and yeah 3582 but he's rebuilding his car into a two door going another motor etc it's being built now. Don't know anything about SAMs car. 

14 minutes ago, Username said:

Tony can drive bloody well, very well, his speed is down to his talent. I'm not tony I need the power and anti lag. 

Boost  is going up to 32 psi max, prob 30. I think the turbo is too small to hit over 410wkw. 

It's not a road car. 

Yeah I know of Michael and he runs anti lag, and yeah 3582 but he's rebuilding his car into a two door going another motor etc it's being built now. Don't know anything about SAMs car. 

Talk to dtech about Sam's but there's a sheet on the other forum youre on. Again gtx35/2l but had avcs not sure if functioning or not.

• Admin
15 hours ago, Username said:

I basically want the holly grail of high power quick response on small displacement engine

The solution is simple then, BorgWarner EFR.

What's that car in the latest NZPC got? Something like a Destroker 2.3 with a EFR8374, twin scroll, that will get you there.

35 minutes ago, boon said:

The solution is simple then, BorgWarner EFR.

What's that car in the latest NZPC got? Something like a Destroker 2.3 with a EFR8374, twin scroll, that will get you there.

Took the convo off forum but needs to remain t3 single scroll footprint so gtx3# is the only real viable option. The engine is in progress and 2l.

The efr is a bit curious. Some of the response claims being made are being found incorrect. Get yours done already @boon