Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Springs/coilovers. Decisions, decisions :P

Subru

Was going to get springs but after more research I dont know.

arrgh... so hard to choose between coilovers and springs I want it lower, literally just 2cm in back and 3 or 4 in front but I dont want it to handle any worse (some ppl think lower springs could make it handle worse) and springs might not give me the correct high but coilovers are very expensive...  springs cost around 500-600 but I could do it properly and spend 1.5-2k getting adjusties and cert.. I just dunno, any thoughts? xD 

• Admin

Get some used springs. Are there some STI pink ones that would do what you need?

Then later if you do a few other mods together that need certing, you can get adjusties and do it all at once; you'll get most of your money back on the springs.

EDIT: $2k is a lot of money to spend on something that may make your car handle worse.

What's your future goal? Tracking it at all in the future? Springs are nice for daily driving. I daily drive on coilovers with my Subaru but the only advantage is just raising and lowering it to suit my liking, just because I don't track my car and no plans to do so anytime soon. 

Edited by BeastGRB

18 minutes ago, boon said:

Get some used springs. Are there some STI pink ones that would do what you need?

Then later if you do a few other mods together that need certing, you can get adjusties and do it all at once; you'll get most of your money back on the springs.

EDIT: $2k is a lot of money to spend on something that may make your car handle worse.

how much lower it be with sti pinks?

5 minutes ago, BeastGRB said:

What's your future goal? Tracking it at all in the future? Springs are nice for daily driving. I daily drive on coilovers with my Subaru but the only advantage is just raising and lowering it to suit my liking, just because I don't track my car and no plans to do so anytime soon. 

Daily driving, not intending on tracking it but want a nice looking car that also handles well. There is too much gap atm.

3 minutes ago, evowrx said:

If you buy used springs on struts from subaruspeed/strongs they usually give arch height so you know how its going to sit.

https://www.subaruspeed.co.nz/collections/struts-and-hubs/products/strut-set-impreza-01-03-2wd

theses are the only ones that will fit I think. These a good set? My current struts are the pink ones I think, are these the same struts or doesnt it matter?

3 hours ago, Subru said:

Yep, H&R are good brands. They are very comfortable while still providing the drop look. 35mm won't be 'sacked' but for the purpose that your wanting I reckon these will suit ya. I have a mate who owns a Honda Euro R which has H&R and he swears by how comfortable they are. Probably worth to ask if they would still sit captive with your current shocks? 

14 minutes ago, BeastGRB said:

Yep, H&R are good brands. They are very comfortable while still providing the drop look. 35mm won't be 'sacked' but for the purpose that your wanting I reckon these will suit ya. I have a mate who owns a Honda Euro R which has H&R and he swears by how comfortable they are. Probably worth to ask if they would still sit captive with your current shocks? 

Sweet, yea I might try find out.

5 minutes ago, Timmah said:

Here's my car on 17x7 with STi struck and STi Pink springs:

The rear sit lower compared to the front sadly giving it the "saggy butt syndrome" - I do plan on fixing this by getting some spacers.

ohh nice, I just brought some H&R springs yesterday so I hopefully get em this week sometime.

• Like 2

The trouble (unless I'm looking in the wrong places) is finding a spring that has an equal or higher spring rate than the factory V7 STI springs, without giving to much low. 

Edit: and then finding someone who sells them, usually importing them, all while keeping it affordable.

Edited by calebwrx

21 hours ago, Timmah said:

Here's my car on 17x7 with STi struck and STi Pink springs:

vSAfqsw.jpg

The rear sit lower compared to the front sadly giving it the "saggy butt syndrome" - I do plan on fixing this by getting some spacers.

is the rear really sitting lower if you measure from ground to jack points?  my front and back are equal height from ground to chassis but arch gap is quite a lot greater up front than in the rear, though this might just be a bugeye design issue (or intential, dunno)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Batbaruman said:

is the rear really sitting lower if you measure from ground to jack points?  my front and back are equal height from ground to chassis but arch gap is quite a lot greater up front than in the rear, though this might just be a bugeye design issue (or intential, dunno)

I should get off my butt and check, but I think you're right, it's just how the arches are designed which gives it that look  

Was just thinking, If you're wanting more of performance but not wanting to go all out on the adjustable suspension replacing the shocks could help alot with the handling. Was just a passing thought. 

I now need to decide if im going to go with H&R or Tein

I've got Tein springs on mine, ran that for awhile.  Performance over stock was noticeable.

Then upgraded to Whiteline adjustable rear sway bar and Anti Lift Kit, now the car handles great with a massive reduce in body roll.  I don't track my car so that was the perfect balance between performance and comfort. 

Edited by yoUaReABUS