Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP5 Coilover install

tobrien109

So I just bought some coilovera for my Legacy to get rid of that lovely Bilstien knock, I was just wondering if anyone has any idea if there's anything I'll run into which will slow down the install as I'm looking at putting them in over a day

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

Don't bother marking the bolts. You're replacing the struts so you'll have to get a wheel alignment anyway. For the rears it will take you all of a minute to get to the top nuts. You'll need a big bar to pull the suspension down to get the bottom bolts in though. 

• Like 1

Don't bother marking the bolts. You're replacing the struts so you'll have to get a wheel alignment anyway. For the rears it will take you all of a minute to get to the top nuts. You'll need a big bar to pull the suspension down to get the bottom bolts in though. 
I didn't get a wheel alignment done on mine as I marked the bolts where they meet the hub.

13 hours ago, iludez said:
21 hours ago, boostin said:

I didn't get a wheel alignment done on mine as I marked the bolts where they meet the hub.

You might get away with not doing one if you're removing and refitting the same strut, but any time you replace something, always get an alignment. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iludez said:
46 minutes ago, boostin said:
You might get away with not doing one if you're removing and refitting the same strut, but any time you replace something, always get an alignment. 

Yeah I just went with it, steering is bang on.

All good. Your tyres to destroy if you please. 

• Admin
11 hours ago, iludez said:
12 hours ago, boostin said:

Yeah I just went with it, steering is bang on.

>_<

The steering in my STI is "bang on" and I can tell from eyeballing the car that the alignment is completely up the S***, that's how far out it is.

We're talking a couple of degrees between being completely hopeless and completely fine.

• Like 1

• Admin

Reminds me I should probably get one for mine. Have marked all camber bolts/bushes so they go in the same orientation but probably had them out half a dozen times atleast since the last alignment so the chances of them being right are pretty slim

Kinda swaying towards coilovers too, the new CS Outback gang with their sweet sweet lows have made me a believer

• Like 2

BP coilover install is pretty strait forward, If you set aside a half day to do it that should be ample depending on your experience etc. Biggest thing is to expect hiccups like a stuck lower strut bolt or something that might take a little more time than expected.. just take your time and enjoy it. 

Tools needed iirc 

19mm socket 

12 or 14mm? socket or ring spanner

A breaker bar and/or 19mm ring spanner and a mallet.

The way I would/did approach it was to start with the fronts as they are the most involved and move to the rear once you have sorted the front. 

With the Fronts they have a camber bolt so you can mark things up to help you out but when reassembling just set both camber bolts the same left/right and try have the top hats set similar too. just eyeball it and get it as close as possible, saves embarrassment later on when you head around to the wheel alignment B|

As above; have a mate handy to help pull down or push up the control arms when removing and installing the strut. The rubber bushes due to having tension on them have a spring like characteristic and will want to neutral out at some point. so just take extra care when removing the lower strut bolts, especially the rears as they can jump up and slap you about real good if you are unfortunate enough to have your face in the way. loosen off the top 12mm bolts but dont take them all off until you are ready for the strut to fall out. Preferably hold it to stop it from dropping. Especially if you have forgotten to remove abs and brake line brackets ;)

Read this for more details: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/isc-coilover-review-and-install-137467.html

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

the new CS Outback gang with their sweet sweet lows have made me a believer

😂 love it

1 hour ago, A_J_T said:

The way I would/did approach it was to start with the fronts as they are the most involved and move to the rear once you have sorted the front.

The rears are more involved in my opinion, fronts are straight forward - usually takes me approx. double the time to do rears.

40 minutes ago, JGM said:

The rears are more involved in my opinion, fronts are straight forward - usually takes me approx. double the time to do rears.

Really! I find that fascinating haha literally 3 things to loosen for the rears  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

Really! I find that fascinating haha literally 3 things to loosen for the rears  

By the time you remove the rear interior and get it all back together though...

Less hassle with the front as there ain't any obstructions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JGM said:

By the time you remove the rear interior and get it all back together though...

Less hassle with the front as there ain't any obstructions.

Fair call I guess, on the BP its as simple as folding the rear seats down and popping the boot floor liner out though :) the old BE was much more frustrating 

Maybe the 04 is a little simpler?  

• Like 1

Just now, A_J_T said:

Fair call I guess, on the BP its as simple as folding the rear seats down and popping the boot floor liner out though :) the old BE was much more frustrating 

Maybe the 04 is a little simpler?  

Neh, identical between the years.

We can compare when we get the CS OB gang (as coined by @Andy_Mac) together.

• Like 2