Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

3.0R vs GT for daily driving fuel efficiency

My daily commute involves crawling along the NW motorway into the city, so is hella fuel inefficient due to it being constantly stop start.

I feel like the 3.0R is particularly unsuited to this type of driving (great on the open road efficiency wise). So I've been tossing up selling the 3.0R (or giving it to the wife and selling her 2.0i) and getting an impreza s-GT or spec.B legacy wagon.  I would probably leave the car fairly stock.

Am I right that a 2.0L turbo would be more fuel efficient than the 3.0R for that type of stop-start driving?  (i.e. not at boost).  Or am I misunderstanding some engineering here? I got really good efficiency commuting in my NA 2.0 BH wagon, maybe I'm being unrealistic in expecting to get something similar with a more performance orientated car....

Part of what's driving this is that @Dairusire showed me what boost feels like, and I feel like I need to own a turbo car at some stage in my life, and as per the Levorg thread I feel like I need to do that before we are all being driven around in automated EVs, haha.

• Like 4

Either way will be pretty close imo.

if your thinking of getting a turbo - just go for it I reckon, even if it cost you $20 more a week on fuel, you'll love it I reckon :P my daily is diesel ute, so when I get to drive my Rs I'm reminded every dang time why I love it when that turbo spools up  :) 

Go the turbo.

Im so glad I got one. My first Turbo car was at the age of 39!

I so wish I had done it sooner. I would say that in traffic especially stop/start would be cheaper in the turbo by a little. Plus you get more chance to tune it later once you get used to the stock power.

• Like 1

yeah it would be more efficient , atleast that's what you can tell your mrs lol. the truth is that even though it might be more efficient off boost, you're gonna spend as much time as humanly possible ON boost, becuase it's just do darn addictive :P like everyone else, i feel life is too short to not enjoy boost atleast for a while.. do it mate. the s-gt in stock form is not particularly thirsty either and still has a mode to control that lead foots effects a bit (think its that eco or s-drive or whatever) so you'll be fine.

• Like 2

I probably get 12.5-13l/100km on average over a tank while commuting running gull force 10, in my 2.0 BH I was averaging around 10l/100km for a tank while commuting on 91.  So my commuting costs are materially different

@Batbaruman part of this is definitely selling this to the mrs, haha.  Though she has given me sign off to buy a fun car, given I have convinced her the EVs are coming:)

Totally get what you are saying, but drive into town from out west between 7/8 on a weekday morning and you will see that opportunities for boost during my commute are limited! Plus my wife has just gone back to work so we are commuting together, so I'll need to behave.

I enjoy putting the foot down in the 3.0R, but it's not quite the same as when the boost kicks in!

• Like 1

Just now, Batbaruman said:

sgt on 98 should easily average 13l/100km..could probably nana drive and do close to or better than 10L/100km too but would advsie against running any turbo car on 91, or even 95 if 98 is available.

Yeah, don't worry, I would stick to 98 as I do now with the 3.0R.

27 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Was getting similar fuel consumption numbers out of 3.0R BLE and 2.5GT BR9 - mostly city driving, no nana style.

I wouldn't expect much difference for non-nana driving, mainly interested if it would be different  for nana driving in bumper to bumper traffic.

22 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Don't get a S-GT, narrow body WRX's look kinda weird

Yeah, I initially really liked the idea, as they are half the price of an STI, and I really like the look of the STI hatches of that generation.

But for the same money I can get a facelift spec.B legacy which has swayed me back towards that.

Have you considered the older legacys? Like the first ones, between 88-92, I havnt had much experience with them but I hear they have slightly above average fuel efficiency, but the great thing about that is gas stations have heaps of gas so you can get more when you need to. And the sleek interior of the facelift model is sure to impress people who are used to vehicles manufactured pre 88 :P

• Like 1

sgt on 98 should easily average 13l/100km..could probably nana drive and do close to or better than 10L/100km too but would advsie against running any turbo car on 91, or even 95 if 98 is available.
I've been running my GTB on 95, 98 is available to me should I switch?

Sent from my K3 Note using Tapatalk

Running any 93ish on car on 91 will generally cause higher fuel consumption.

I was kind of of the understanding that it takes x fuel to do y work meaning if youre driving a to b off boost it shouldn't be much different on gas. Soon as you snot the loud pedal it throws it out the window.

Have you considered the older legacys? Like the first ones, between 88-92, I havnt had much experience with them but I hear they have slightly above average fuel efficiency, but the great thing about that is gas stations have heaps of gas so you can get more when you need to. And the sleek interior of the facelift model is sure to impress people who are used to vehicles manufactured pre 88

I was looking around for late 2000's spec B sedans for ages, ended up buying a 1989 RS - haven't looked back since!

Freeing up an extra 10k for the pending mortgage and a higher likelihood of appreciation (versus a more common later model Legacy, with a few hours of restoration and tinkering with an older 'classic') sold it for me.. Also helped to get the Mrs around the idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, THUNDA said:

Have you considered the older legacys? Like the first ones, between 88-92, I havnt had much experience with them but I hear they have slightly above average fuel efficiency, but the great thing about that is gas stations have heaps of gas so you can get more when you need to. And the sleek interior of the facelift model is sure to impress people who are used to vehicles manufactured pre 88 :P

Mine doesn't 😂

When using it as a daily I spend about twice as much as the outback in a week.

It's toonly hard to drive economically as it sounds so good.

I do love the RS but the BP wagon is just more refined for daily use.

Edited by SpeedySub
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, evowrx said:

I was kind of of the understanding that it takes x fuel to do y work meaning if youre driving a to b off boost it shouldn't be much different on gas. Soon as you snot the loud pedal it throws it out the window.

Totes. Which makes sense for open road driving. I guess my logic is that for stop-start driving in traffic you are constantly applying more power than you need to get from a to b and then braking

So a 2l off boost may result in less wasted energy than a 3l. At least that's the logic I'm testing.

@willisnz Have you considered getting your current 3L tuned? Is it an import or NZ new? 

My new import BPE is a dog on fuel, been talking with Tony at DTech to get it tuned for our fuel and altitude for efficient and health etc no number chasing "Yet". The thing to remember is the 3L 6 cylinder is a gorgeous engine to drive. don't sell it off just cause you want a turbo that will have arguably the same power. I have no knowledge on The S-gt but i assume it is like 140-150kw? similar to the 3L but the 3L has torque from the get go. 

I'm not saying the 3L is better and all you need to do is tune it, there are advantages to both. Just coming in with another opinion from someone thats had both. 

@A_J_T import,actually been going through the process of getting it e-tuned, but a combination of being away for a month and then one of me,my wife or daughter being sick for the last couple of months has made it hard to go out an log.

I really like my BPE. I think the likely scenario is we sell my wife's 2.0i BP5 and the BPE becomes the road trip car/one we will fit a tow bar too and the turbo would be the daily driver/my fun car.

• Like 1