Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Lowering springs not low

Subru

2 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

bro you arent listening , everyones said it already. they need time to settle, especially brand new stiff springs. i'm pretty sure it's like 2-3 weeks to settle properly. after this you go get a wheel alignment. perfectly fine to drive in the mean time but things will all get better once they set in and 4 wheel alignment done.

okay,

umm btw I said it before but I cant compress my front springs enough coz the compressors can only compress coils close together. I wanna get this done today so can someone give me an idea how to remove these springs?

4 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Using a rattle guns the only easy way to spin them apart. Any tyre shops open today?

idk there might be.

so should I take the tophats off even with the springs mostly compressed? 

Its only the front ones, the rear has more coils for the compressors to attach on to.

2 minutes ago, patrickc22 said:

I just compressed them as much as possible 

did u find that you could only get the compressors on 2 coils close togeather? then you compressed them as much as possible then took the tophat off?

28 minutes ago, Subru said:

did u find that you could only get the compressors on 2 coils close togeather? then you compressed them as much as possible then took the tophat off?

Do that then when you rattle it theres way less load on the nut. Had that problem years ago when I had stock struts.

Just now, evowrx said:

Do that then when you rattle it theres way less load on the nut. Had that problem years ago when I had stock struts.

okay, it will have to wait till next Saturday but thanks, will give that a go.

7 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

bro you arent listening , everyones said it already. they need time to settle, especially brand new stiff springs. i'm pretty sure it's like 2-3 weeks to settle properly. after this you go get a wheel alignment. perfectly fine to drive in the mean time but things will all get better once they set in and 4 wheel alignment done.

Nah im not worried about how much its dropping it anymore as I did the second rear spring they both went down a bit and I know they will settle more. I was referring to the front shocks being a pain in the ass to disassemble as there are not enough coils to attach spring compressors to, I came across someone that suggested ratchet tie downs (I got a bunch of them but idk if its a good idea lol) or just compress them as much as I can then just lie the struts down and remove the tophat while hiding behind a wall... :P I guess you went straight to coilovers aye?

13 hours ago, Subru said:

Nah im not worried about how much its dropping it anymore as I did the second rear spring they both went down a bit and I know they will settle more. I was referring to the front shocks being a pain in the ass to disassemble as there are not enough coils to attach spring compressors to, I came across someone that suggested ratchet tie downs (I got a bunch of them but idk if its a good idea lol) or just compress them as much as I can then just lie the struts down and remove the tophat while hiding behind a wall... :P I guess you went straight to coilovers aye?

ye coilover are significantly easier to deal with haha.

someone on this thread has already mentioned it.. it's dangerous, it's dodgy, but i know my cousin has done the same thing... he used zip ties while his springs were compressed and used a rattle gun + vice trick which was also suggested here. i don't endorse this especially when the actual tool can be purchased so cheaply but i guess if you're in to that sort of thing, then yeah there are ways to get the job done. just make sure you explain to anyone helping you what they're signing up for and make sure your car is safely out of the way too

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

ye coilover are significantly easier to deal with haha.

someone on this thread has already mentioned it.. it's dangerous, it's dodgy, but i know my cousin has done the same thing... he used zip ties while his springs were compressed and used a rattle gun + vice trick which was also suggested here. i don't endorse this especially when the actual tool can be purchased so cheaply but i guess if you're in to that sort of thing, then yeah there are ways to get the job done. just make sure you explain to anyone helping you what they're signing up for and make sure your car is safely out of the way too

What tool are you thinking of? I have spring compressors and those 'drive through' sockets where I can put the alan key through to stop the shaft from spinning which works really well. I might just compress them as much as i can and then take off the tophat and if there is spring compression still, the shock will just scoot along the floor a tiny bit.

35 minutes ago, calebwrx said:

Take them to a workshop and get them to do it for you, i have had it done myself  in the past for $20 cash = everyone's happy and no one has taken a solid steel spring to the face. 

where did you get yours done? I would need to do it on Saturday too.

• Admin

Ok, super caveat here, this will probably kill you and several other people.

Wrap the spring in a towel then lay the strut down, along the bottom of a wall. Put your foot hard on the spring with the strut sideways in front of you, so nothing is pointing at you.

Rattle gun the nut off. The strut will jump like 20cm out of the spring. If that. That's it. They are under bugger all tension when the strut is unloaded.

EDIT: If you put a couple of big zipties on the spring (not when it's on the car, that's dodgy as S***) and pull them as tight as you can that will take some tension off as well.

Your new springs look quite a bit longer, so use spring compressors when installing them.

• Like 2

Update:

Rears have settled a bit and they are a bit lower and loo good.

Installed fronts now and its all good with a good drop already and hopefully settled a bit more.

Funny story: I lowered the car once I installed them and then drove back to take for quick drive and immediately heard a bunch of spring noise and the car felt like something was seriously fu*ked, it felt like the spring was coming off or something, I was stressing out hardcore and gonna jack the car up to see whats wrong and then I saw I accidentally kicked one of the old springs under the car which was the cause of the noise etc, few times have I been more revealed than when I knew that I had not fu*ked something up and it was just a spring that was under the car... :P 

I should have checked xD 

35 minutes ago, iludez said:

Chuck up some pictures when you get a chance

will do, take em tomorrow and upload if i remember, I already like it even tho I cant see it! :D 

Its not too low which is nice too, just got rid of some wheel arch gap.

• Like 1

Good to hear you got it sorted..

I have recently put some Eibach springs in mine..

My son said it looked like a monster truck when it came off the jacks..:o

Went for a drive and it settled down a bit..

Feels tight as ..

Steering is more direct..

A bit jiggley still but they will wear in ..

Way better than superlow kings or low Jamex that I had tried before..

6 minutes ago, pedro said:

Good to hear you got it sorted..

I have recently put some Eibach springs in mine..

My son said it looked like a monster truck when it came off the jacks..:o

Went for a drive and it settled down a bit..

Feels tight as ..

Steering is more direct..

A bit jiggley still but they will wear in ..

Way better than superlow kings or low Jamex that I had tried before..

Nice, yea mine feel real nice now too, will get an alignment once they fully settled.

Image doesn't really show it well but you can see its just remove a bit of that arch gap which is all I wanted because I still want to be able to ave fun with it and I dont want it too low otherwise handling could be affected. prob gonna drop a bit more too. Compare it to the image in my signature.

best.jpg

If it goes too much lower I wont be able to fit my jack underneath :P.

• Like 2