Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cars sold with replacement engines having been fitted?

tigerstyle

So looking around at Legacy wagons for sale, and not a lot, but a few of them state 'new engine fitted' or 'recon engine fitted' isn't this a bit odd?

The cars seemingly haven't done very high mileage either, like the car in the link below had the engine changed at 180,000KMs? Isn't that a bit low, what could have broken to cause that much damage. My only guess is timing chain was never done and engine popped, which means rest of car maintenance could be pretty dodgy too. 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-1365850836.htm 

New engine is a good sign in any high kms car your looking at buying

But ONLY if they have receipts, for work done, for parts, anything.

Most people who do pay to have their engines changed keep the receipt because they know thats the only proof the engines been changed.

So if they dont have receipts, they are likely to be full of S***. or they've done it themselves, and in that case they'd have receipts for parts even if they got some of them from wreckers.

• Like 1

as others are already covering the engine replacement side, i'll take a crack at mileage.

i see you are moving from (or already have moved) UK , not sure from which part exactly but i assume could be an area where long commutes are quite common (as it is in australia).. in some instances that 200,000k could have come from about 3 years of commutes at mostly 100kph, in others it could be from 10 years of start stop driving under heat soaked conditions.   those long commutes aren't as common here so when we see 200,000km for example, we generally assume it as having experienced greater wear and tear not just running from those k's but also wear and tear involved over a greater number of hours, greater cycle count etc. mind you it's not just the engine but also other parts like gearbox.

• Like 3

Thanks Batbaruman, we have a similar analogy in the UK, and I'm sure all countries do to, the difference between a 300,000KM rep mobile where it has lived on the highay it's whole life Vs. the 100,000KM Granny riding the clutch everyweek to church and the supermarket! We know which car would generally be better mechanically...

I'll look at the 2.5 and 3 litre cars, still reading up on what's what! Although a turbo would be great, happy to get something a bit less stressed and longer running. 

• Like 1

my subaru legacy popped the bottom end at only 98000km, it was due to silly driving on my part but wouldnt have thought it would have given up that easily and car had been serviced and looked after, at that point it was easier to replace with a second hand engine for $800 bux than doing a rebuild for 6k, in hindsight i installed a V7 STI motor and had way more fun :D

On my 120KM Legacy GT, if something else hadn't made it pop first, the Oil pump would have killed the bottom end.  When they took the pump off the wheel that spins inside, most of the screws/bolts were loose, and wasn't far from dying most likely taking engine with it.

edit: Oh and the other thing you don't know what petrol the previous owners used, people on here have admitted to using 91 (on I think GT's) .. if previous owner has done that for long enough and driven hard, engine won't last long.

Edited by killervq30de
  • Like 1

I posted the question about the replacement engine.

They were saying it was a big end bearing went. They have the receipts of the replacement engine.

Looks to be a nice looking car for the price, but you would need to do the timing belt etc in the near future (depending how many ks you put on it)

Belt has done about 60,000km.

@tigerstyle are you in NZ yet? which  part of the country are you going to be?

Also I remember you saying you were here for a year or two? if so then something like this might be good, cheap if you can get it for what its at now, and if only here for a year then wouldn't worry about timing belt and you should recoup some of you costs if you sell it when you leave.

Cheers SpeedySub, I'm not registered to TradeMe yet, they want NZ mobile number which I don't have yet, but soon!

Will be in NZ in about 2 weeks, but travelling around sightseeing and seeing friends first for a month, the deciding to look for a car whilst in Chch or Akl probably. So all over for a while really! 

Lots of cars around that $2-3k, so slowly working out engine choices and other factors to consider. What would a ballpark price be on the 2 litre and 2.5 litre timing belt work? (guess $700?) And the 3litre is a chain right so need to replace?

32 minutes ago, tigerstyle said:

What would a ballpark price be on the 2 litre and 2.5 litre timing belt work? (guess $700?) And the 3litre is a chain right so need to replace?

I think they are around $800- 1200 depending on where you take it and if they do the water pump and the tensioner at the same time.

If you need any questions asked for Trademe sales before you get an account running let me know an I can ask on your behalf.

Also when you get to Christchurch let us know and we do a meet and greet