Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cold air intake need tune?

Subru

2 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Done snorkelectomy? Hate that word but yea. If you Google it or search on here you should give you a bit of a how to.

Actually tried to but the plastic under the car was stubborn af with screws and things not coming off, I might give it another go tomorrow night.

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't your car lean out because of the extra airflow going past the MAF sensor. Well this is what I experienced with my car (V11) so I took it off immediately after as I could feel the car bog.  I was told that re-calibrating the MAF Sensor would be enough but best to search more into it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BeastGRB said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't your car lean out because of the extra airflow going past the MAF sensor. Well this is what I experienced with my car (V11) so I took it off immediately after as I could feel the car bog.  I was told that re-calibrating the MAF Sensor would be enough but best to search more into it. 

yea thats what i would be worried about. 

• Like 1

• Admin

I ran mine for ages with a Process West one and it was fine. As long as the diameter of the pipe is the same where the AFM goes you shouldn't have any issues; even if it's out by a small-ish percent then the trims should figure it out anyway.

To be honest as long as the car is running the factory tune a small amount of leaning out is probably a good thing (although I seem to recall yours was a little bit lean on the dyno?)

They say the factory tune runs slightly rich and a CAI causes the car to run leaner so it probably evens out, I've ran one on my 2016 STi for about 6,500km now and haven't had a single problem. Sounds awesome too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin

Isn't it the exact opposite with later model ones, that they're tuned lean for emissions, OEM's tuning richer than they need makes zero sense in this day and age with the ever tightening emissions and MPG expectations. Every other Subaru model i've read up on has always had the issue of arseholing engines with stock tunes because they're too lean for non Jap fuel even without mods.

All you really need for peace of mind is drive it round for a few weeks then get someone with a Tactrix or whatever to pull a LV and you'll be able to check the fuel trim corrections, as long as they're less than 15% different you're essentially allright. 

• Like 2

I've always felt I'd need a tune if I ran a CAI through the guard. Just because the greater amount of air coming in + colder air would surprise the ECU. I've got an Apexi AFC (can't remember specific model but can check) in my car and I'd be out of my depth if changing the intake would require any other changes.

23 minutes ago, swamp said:

I've always felt I'd need a tune if I ran a CAI through the guard. Just because the greater amount of air coming in + colder air would surprise the ECU. I've got an Apexi AFC (can't remember specific model but can check) in my car and I'd be out of my depth if changing the intake would require any other changes.

The v7 has an IAT in the the atm so the ecu can account for temp.

• Like 1

Cold air intake or not, the car has enough sensors to work out any difference. Imo. Anything from factory air box to pod to pod within another box to no filter at all with just a stocking over the afm have all worked the same on all the old Subis I've owned lol. Yes I was young once and used to do stupider stuff than stocking over afm :)

• Like 1

• Admin

Dunno about older ones but later ones only have a +/-15% window of adjustment they work within so anything more than that and it'll run rich or lean. 

Not to mention they ignore all learned fueling adjustments at WOT so if you're adding 14% fuel in the last AF learning g/s range then as soon as you're past that range you'll be running lean. 

Plus different intakes have different flow characteristics so may be alright at one point but way off further up in the ranges.

Why take the risk. Buy it but wait to install it with a few other bits when you get a tune.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kiwi_Fozze said:

that perrin pipe on tm is an in-bay short "ram" style intake. may as well just run a filthy in bay pod. same job. probably run a bit better tbh.

intake changes always needs a tune. hell, its a v7, it NEEDS tuning.

Hence my in the guard question. If its not its a horrible idea.

• Like 1

my AEM cai drops down into the guard. quite impressed tbh, logging has netted a lower average intake temp, but the ecu has had to adjust about 18% learning trims in some places (my learning limit has been bushed out to 25% either way) even though the AEM pipe ID is exactly the same diameter as the maf

thankfully i'm already mostly tuned, that'd wreak havoc on a factory tune

• Like 1

• Admin
On 25/08/2017 at 10:09 PM, Kiwi_Fozze said:

intake changes always needs a tune. hell, its a v7, it NEEDS tuning.

Strictly speaking, there would be literally thousands of Subarus out there of all generations running untuned with a CAI. And the very vast majority of them are completely fine.

• Like 1

The factory airbox's flow extremely well and the AFM's right behind them are extremely sensitive to change. Aftermarket intakes are the number 1 cause of (older) EJ failures.

5 step plan of how to kill your engine with a pod filter:

Step 1: Fit pod filter 

Step 2a: Pod filter causes engine to ping

Step 2b: Engine runs the wrong ignition control

Step 3: Knock sensor can't pull enough ignition out

Step 4a: Further pinging occurs that the ECU now cannot correct

Step 4b (Optional): Potential Piston damage usually occurs here due to pre-ignition

Step 5: Long term big end bearing failure

You're better off spending your money elsewhere.

Edited by YoungOne
  • Like 2

• Admin
10 minutes ago, YoungOne said:

Sorry but this is just not true, the factory airbox's flow extremely well and the AFM's right behind them are extremely sensitive to change. Aftermarket intakes are the number 1 cause of (older) EJ failures without a doubt.

Strictly speaking this is the 5 step plan of how to kill your engine with a pod filter:

Step 1: Fit pod filter 

Step 2a: Pod filter causes engine to ping

Step 2b: Engine runs the wrong ignition control

Step 3: Knock sensor can't pull enough ignition out

Step 4a: Further pinging occurs that the ECU now cannot correct

Step 4b (Optional): Potential Piston damage usually occurs here due to pre-ignition

Step 5: Long term big end bearing failure

You're better off spending your money elsewhere.

Just no. Your internet tuner's university degree set aside, there are literally thousands of Subarus out there hooning around with pod filters with sweet-f-all adverse affect. The AFMs are a little bit sensitive to turbulence but if the size of the pipe remains the same there is literally no difference in what the AFM will sense.

Is it a good idea, from a strictly esoteric "does this improve my car" perspective? Perhaps not.

Number one cause of death for old Subarus? Ha. Go to Pickapart some time and have a look at what's broken. I reckon head gasket failure would be the winner by a country mile, probably followed by cambelt snapping.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, boon said:

Strictly speaking, there would be literally thousands of Subarus out there of all generations running untuned with a CAI. And the very vast majority of them are completely fine.

This is true, the v7's in particular are tuned VERY conservitively out of the box. But if you arent tuning for the mods, is there any point? :-P

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, boon said:

Just no. Your internet tuner's university degree set aside, there are literally thousands of Subarus out there hooning around with pod filters with sweet-f-all adverse affect. The AFMs are a little bit sensitive to turbulence but if the size of the pipe remains the same there is literally no difference in what the AFM will sense.

Is it a good idea, from a strictly esoteric "does this improve my car" perspective? Perhaps not.

Number one cause of death for old Subarus? Ha. Go to Pickapart some time and have a look at what's broken. I reckon head gasket failure would be the winner by a country mile, probably followed by cambelt snapping.

Last time I was at pickapart a lot of the Subies there were probably in because of BHG and general running into the ground, the rest looked crashed. Found a crack pipe in the back of a BD Legacy too :)

On 8/25/2017 at 7:16 PM, THUNDA said:

Cold air intake or not, the car has enough sensors to work out any difference. Imo. Anything from factory air box to pod to pod within another box to no filter at all with just a stocking over the afm have all worked the same on all the old Subis I've owned lol. Yes I was young once and used to do stupider stuff than stocking over afm :)

I'm going to put this theory to the test when I clean my throttle body and AFM, I'm gonna fit a CAI with a non-oiled filter! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boon said:

Apologies didn't mean to knock you. Each to his own, wouldn't take the risk on my own car. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swamp said:

Last time I was at pickapart a lot of the Subies there were probably in because of BHG and general running into the ground, the rest looked crashed. Found a crack pipe in the back of a BD Legacy too :)

I'm going to put this theory to the test when I clean my throttle body and AFM, I'm gonna fit a CAI with a non-oiled filter! 

Nice

yeah my Rs has a k&n pod un oiled.  

I too too have found drug paraphernalia in pickapart subis lol, a lot of them have alcohol bottles and cds scattered everywhere also 

• Like 1