Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Impreza Coupe for 22B Conversion/Replica

swamp

Hey guys

Just wondering if its an easy enough mish to buy a base model Impreza 2 door to use as a base for a 22B replica?

I love the look of the wide body and the 22B in general, but I've only seen one Impreza Coupe listed on TM in the past three months and that was for like 2.5-3k. 

If they're uncommon but do pop up on the tard now and then I'll stick with my dream, but I have seen wide body conversions for sedans and interestingly enough, wagons :) 

Alternatively would see if theres more realistic options such as a WRC GT-Four replica built out of a base model Celica which are easy and cheap to find.

I used to have  WRC GT-FOUR a few years ago. Only 5 new models were brought into NZ by Toyota (got mine 2nd hand). From memory, only visible external xifferences between ST205 and ST202 were the wheels (awful tri-spokes!), rear wing and bonnet. Easy to spot a fake from the rear due to different spare wheel well due to rear diff on the GT.

I'm in the process of doing a Retna to STI conversion. I should really update my post lol, it's almost finished:ph34r:

It's a huge job. Basically a complete reshell... Going right down the the bones of the car and building it back up. You will need a crashed/blown up/dereg car to swap the turbo parts onto, and basically none of the stuff on the factory shell is usable. We're talking, subframes out, fuel tank out, all driveline components out, all wiring out including interior. Then the same to the turbo car before you swap it all onto the non turbo body. All the mounting points ect are there and it's not actually a difficult swap just a huge amount of labour involved. 

If I were to do it again I would pick a ver 3 sti as the parts car. It's allows for the most simplicity in swapping parts, in regards to the interior. 

They only pop up twice a year on average. And priced from 1-5k depending on condition/road worthy ect.

They are prone to rust so check that before you buy. 

It's a heck of a lot easier to buy a type R that's got a rough exterior and repairing/modifying that, than doing the conversion.

I've enjoyed my retna conversion tho, it's been a real challenge mixing and matching all the parts, if you're up for a project that rapidly spirals out of control then do it xD 

I also think they make cool sleepers... if you were so inclined 

wzzefejt.wr2.jpg

• Like 4

• General Member
10 minutes ago, slystiguy said:

and basically none of the stuff on the factory shell is usable

thus

19 hours ago, evowrx said:

Start with a type r? Closer to your goal and cheaper in the long run

is the best advice perhaps? (both directions are about equal in difficulty perhaps?

(edit you covered that i nthe rest of your post :P @slystiguy sorry I replied before I read the whole thing :P

• Like 1

They are annoying rare little things but I wouldn't mind one. I wouldn't mind getting a 'Retna' and then starting from there. I guessed nothing from the N/A would be usable, as it would all be designed for less torque/power and also not as cool i.e. interior bits. My plan would be to get a 22B kit and fit that up. 

I wouldn't mind getting a Type R, but it's so much cooler to say that I started with a shell and built that to sti spec. It would be much more difficult and expensive of course but you'd learn a lot! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It’s a 1995 prefacelift, pretty tidy. 1.5 manual 2wd. I’ll get pics tonight add me on fb richard Mcilworth 

i had it as a spare red shell for my race car but would rather it was used than sit in mums car port

Has done 29x,xxx kms but not original motor. One kiwi owner before me

• Like 3

If you do it seam weld it while it's in bits, stiffens up the shell so much compared to the few extra spot welds in the higher spec shells. When you see rigidity up x% in marketing and the car looks the same the trick in the 90's was extra spot welds around the doors and few key areas near suspension.

Gt four WRC or group A came in to NZ the older shape group a has the newer generation bonnet with the 40mm round hole. They are water to air cooled to shorten the intake path just like the real WRC cars. All stuff you remove to make more power, but they have zero lag and throttle response is awesome.

The second generation was in signature class as well. But the older group a with the pop up lights was non Toyota dealers. Most had the group a badges stolen but the bonnet is the easiest way to tell.

But do the 22B you'll end up with a far more useable car with more room in it.

maybe find a couple of others who want the conversion and save on shipping and get a shop to do them together.

I will put a note here that I am a fully quailified mechanic with 10years experience . I’m happy to do a conversion on my shell for the new buyer if that’s what they want. Price will be fair and much cheaper than paying a shop to do it. Just supply a crashed wrx or sti or what ever and I’ll make it happen.

• Like 1