Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP Secondary Air pump FREE TODAY

killervq30de

• General Member

Ya got Me

I had to google it & what the heck it was >>

https://www.mrtperformance.com.au/resources/technical-documents.

airpumpfault_1.jpg

What’s a Secondary Air Pump?

To meet the ever more stringent emissions targets being placed on manufacturers, Subaru introduced a secondary air injection system on all turbocharged models manufactured from around 2004 onwards. Specifically, the system is fitted to the 2.5L turbo engine found in the MY06-on Forester XT, MY07-on Liberty GT and MY06-on Impreza WRX/STi models. What does the system do exactly? To help combat unwanted hydrocarbon emissions, air is injected post combustion for a predetermined amount of time after the engine is started. The system is only operational for a small amount of time post start (the amount of time varies depending on engine temperature, but is typically around 30-60 seconds), and inactive thereafter. It has no effect on engine performance or fuel efficiency it is solely there for emissions control.

What Is The Fault And What Causes It?

The system consists primarily of an air pump assembly, two air valves and a crossover pipe. As vehicles the systems are fitted to age, we are increasingly coming across several variations on the same fault. Either the pumps themselves fail, or one or both of the air valves seize open or closed. This triggers an engine fault condition and the ECU will show a “Check Engine Light”on the dash. The cruise control system will also cease to operate (and where fitted, the light on the dash switch flashes). The codes can be checked with a generic scan tool, Subaru Select Monitor or aftermarket software on a laptop (such as EcuTek DeltaDash or another open source derived product).

so it basically thins out the exhaust?

The Solution

We haven’t seen a successful repair of any components to date, and to complicate matters Subaru only sell the replacement parts as a “kit” which presently costs around AU$3700-4500 depending on where you source the parts. The system can’t be removed from the car easily without triggering more faults either (the Atmospheric pressure sensor, used by the engine management system for ongoing day to day engine related calculations, is fitted within the primary air valve assembly). Fortunately there is another solution which is both CHEAPER and gives you the option of added performance as a bonus! Using EcuTek software, we have the ability to access your factory engine management system and change a whole host of parameters. Generally we use this to increase performance on standard and modified cars by optimising the engines operational parameters (fuelling, boost control, ignition advance, variable cam timing and so on), but it can also be used to access both the parameters that run the Secondary Air System and the fault codes which are or aren’t triggered in the event of a fault condition being present.

With that in mind, you have 3 options. All will permanently rectify the Secondary Air System fault condition, restore Cruise Control operation AND be a fraction of the OEM replacement and repair cost, but depending on your budget it is also a convenient time to consider a performance upgrade as well!

• 2 months later...