Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Do you think people hate being overtaken by Subarus

swamp

I think they do

I have had numb nuts high beam me

People speed in passing lanes to avoid being overtaken

One guy did not give way at a roundabout and high beamed me for later overtaking him (leaving Clevedon to Manukau) 

Of course there is the "boy racer" stigma but the general competitiveness of some drivers out there is nuts. 

Agree or disagree? 

Depends what Subaru I guess. My Sti Wagon doesn't seem to annoy people too much but an sti sedan with the wang and a loud af exhaust might get some numb nuts to go off their nut as it is a lot more 'boy racer' ish...

I like to think they are mostly angry because they got overtaken by someone half their age who is driving car twice as quick as their car and also worth half the price as theirs... :P 

Kinda agree.

What do u drive?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Subru said:

Depends what Subaru I guess. My Sti Wagon doesn't seem to annoy people too much but an sti sedan with the wang and a loud af exhaust might get some numb nuts to go off their nut as it is a lot more 'boy racer' ish...

I like to think they are mostly angry because they got overtaken by someone half their age who is driving car twice as quick as their car and also worth half the price as theirs... :P 

Kinda agree.

What do u drive?

I have a 1995 WRX SA (STI). With a WRX sticker and a standard exhaust, just I do not have an exhaust tip

That's exactly how I think those people who react in that way feel. 

• Like 1

this is just drivers in general and the behavior is fairly universal. certain members of population seem to have quite a load of road rage and do not like to be overtaken at all. some will hold / block the passing lanes, some will try cage you in, speeding up / changing lanes as you try over take etc. this is the part where you drop your ego and if at all the option is there, take a breather and fall back a bit.. or downshift and get the hell outta there if safely can

• Like 4

Agreed. Interesting that I observed driving attitudes in Italy recently and while they are mostly maniacs (seemingly little regard for road rules), the level of aggression is nowhere near as it is in NZ. Sure there was the odd gesticulation and beeping of horns, but I certainly didn't see the attitudes that are becoming the norm over here. Not sure what is going on, but the behaviour described above by @Batbaruman is certainly getting worseand agree it's not just Subaru related. There are plenty of other performance cars out there driven by youngsters who probably feel the same. Trouble is that the minority who drive like cocks spoil it for the majority who don't. Everyone tends to get tarnished with the same brush. As an STi driver, that includes me too even though I'm an old git xD

• Like 1

I don't have any issues in the outback - no one gives it a second look (at some intersections not even a first look!)

I think its the generalization of WRX drivers as young and dumb and out to cause trouble, so they see one and they just go straight to their stereotype.

Some Subaru drivers do not hep the stereotype though

• Admin

To be honest, yes I see people get antsy but usually it's an issue of their mentality in general. Not towards just Subarus. 

I'm not a saint either however. Some people really piss me off by just sheer idiocy or how uncourteous they are on the road. 

For example, people who see you're indicating and wanting to pass up passing lane but put out infront of you only for them to take a millennium to pass and even longer to get back in their bloody lane then get crappy at you and high beam you when you mash the throttle to pass them. 

Or on highways where PEOPLE WON'T MOVE TO THE LEFT even though it's the god damn law. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

To be honest, yes I see people get antsy but usually it's an issue of their mentality in general. Not towards just Subarus. 

I'm not a saint either however. Some people really piss me off by just sheer idiocy or how uncourteous they are on the road. 

For example, people who see you're indicating and wanting to pass up passing lane but put out infront of you only for them to take a millennium to pass and even longer to get back in their bloody lane then get crappy at you and high beam you when you mash the throttle to pass them. 

Or on highways where PEOPLE WON'T MOVE TO THE LEFT even though it's the god damn law. 

Yeah I dont usually get road rage at all, im used to seeing dumb/slow/fast drivers- even people not even looking the direction they are driving. but I seem to have a weak point when im in the situation above ^^

Cant stand slowies that dont get out of the way of people trying to maintain a swift (and legal) speed on the motorway. any attempt at passing means they go slower - which is worse as people are more likely to try and overtake in frustration which is much more risky imo 

• Like 1

Ikr I was following someone while heading to paraparaumu today and the person at the front was doing around 15kms UNDER the speed limit and didnt have the decency to pull over or speed up. Eventually I passed the person who was busily day dreaming away. I cant stand these people, why cant they just drive faster, if they feel unsafe going the speed limit then they are unsafe to drive imo.

My favorite is the right hand lane drivers who sit there all day long until right before the turn off where they indicated for 1 second then cut right across you to take the left hand exit!!happens all the time on the Northern motorway around the Kaiapoi or Rangiora extits

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

My favorite is the right hand lane drivers who sit there all day long until right before the turn off where they indicated for 1 second then cut right across you to take the left hand exit!!happens all the time on the Northern motorway around the Kaiapoi or Rangiora extits

Same thing happens on the motorway in Dunedin.its drives me nuts

I have to put my hand up and say I used to be one of the druivers that sat in the Right lane (usaully sitting between 100 - 110kph). But I did not realize the right hand lane rules. Now I sit in the left lane unless passing, exception is where there are merging areas in the left lane, I like to move to the right to allow easier merging.

Oh yes another thing I have complained about is the merge like a zip, a lot of people must use Velcro as they do not seem to know how zips work. Theres always one guy who speeds up from behind to try and get infront of you even when the lanes have merged

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boon said:

Yes, particularly middle aged men in newish Mercedes Benz sedans who get incredible small-penis syndrome when you overtake them on a passing lane.

They do, or if they're in a big AMG v8-12 they usually will speed up to dangerous speeds in a lot of traffic just to prove they're better than you. 

2 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

Same in Wellington. gives me a good laugh tho haha. Not good when they almost hit someone tho...

Would not know, the Brumby not fast enough to pass much :) 

I do Know a lot hate getting passed by the Estima ( 200kw and AWD and we drive it like we stole it ) 

Also know they not happy when I pass them in the Hilux either ( 1kd 3 litre turbo and rolling on 20"s ) 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 1randomkiwi said:

I actively give BMWs more space as I never know when a 320i is going to come out of nowhere and cut me off.

45 minutes ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

cos they have no idea which way there are going they never use indicators!!! ;)

Haha I was basically going to say the same thing.

At least with a Subaru people realize the driver knows what they are doing.