Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Redline Performance TD05 Alternatives

YoungOne

Ok so has anyone here had any experience with these TD05-20g's from Redline Performance? From the price I think I can probably guess the quality and country of origin. What other options would bolt up to a hawkeye WRX to get 190-210wkw for a reasonable price? Not wanting to go rotated here

Link:

https://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/product/td05-20g-turbo-420hp-wrx-and-sti-bolt-on/

Lots of reading available about these ..

There are good and bad reports..

Always an element of risk buying something that's cheap and been copied in China..

Then again who knows what quality has been incorporated into the product..

Cost price of $150 nz = $108 us..This is a healthy sum in China..

Turbo is a precision thing,Are you the gambling type?

Give it a go and report back..

Edit..What are the warranty conditions from Redline ?

2 hours ago, evowrx said:

They cost red line around the 150nzd iirc I looked at buying a few in couple of years back from their supplier.

Just tune it with a sti turbo from the same era.

Wow that's actually kind of impressive they can get them so cheap. 

34 minutes ago, pedro said:

Lots of reading available about these ..

There are good and bad reports..

Always an element of risk buying something that's cheap and been copied in China..

Then again who knows what quality has been incorporated into the product..

Cost price of $150 nz = $108 us..This is a healthy sum in China..

Turbo is a precision thing,Are you the gambling type?

Give it a go and report back..

Edit..What are the warranty conditions from Redline ?

Haha this is the reason why I ask to see if anyone else has done the risky part

1 hour ago, YoungOne said:

Haha this is the reason why I ask to see if anyone else has done the risky part

1 hour ago, YoungOne said:

This is the thing though...Its a bit of a coin toss if you will get a good one..

What do redline say ?

I have recently purchased the same turbo tdo5 20g..

I bought a Mamba brand from Taiwan..

Haven't fitted it yet so can't review it..

Just get a vf22,25,28,30 or later sti turbo. I can almost guarantee there be bugger all difference in results. I use to run td05 20g an td06 and looking back now the standard turbos are fine with the power your looking fr. You may be able to get more peak power out of the chinese turbos but then your compromising reliablity.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For that sort of money I'd rather buy a cheap second hand td05 16g and pay someone to build it with better wheels/modify the front cover. At least you'd know it was mint and good to go. Or buy an sti turbo that is known to be good condition, bit of a lottery nowadays. 

example 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Upgrade-Cover-kit-SUBARU-TD05-TD06-w-GT-60-1-wheel-adjustable-actuator-/272231937284?hash=item3f6249b504:m:m2mnQJ5Rvk8UvrnhA7QoiFQ&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

I ran one of these on my WRX rally car. They are laggy compared to stock turbos. So really wasn't well suited to my car.

With a very conservative road tune 180wkw roughly from memory, might have been slightly more (ie car was road tuned, then a quick check later on the dyno). I did Taranaki Tarmac rally 2016 on it as the 0 car, and I also ran antilag through it briefly and it is still running, so I was surprised that the turbo lasted. But definitely too laggy compared to stock for my liking. Although my engine did end up down on compression, so that didn't help things.