Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

High pitched noise

thewabbit1

• Admin

Hey all

Noticed today that when boosting in the high rev ranges (on secondary) getting a high pitched noise coming from somewhere.... Only started noticing it today, went on a high spirited drive last weekend and didn't notice it at all.

I got a recording of it which you can find here.... https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZIk5X7ZP5XJu2EPyW56ufrghKXBLpnmOaNy

Anyone got an idea of what it might be?

ayy do u have the rubber duck exhaust mod by chance?

srs answer sorry not sure bro, i was expecting to hear a nice turbo whistle when i opened the link but it sounds nothing like it at all, i assume that sound is when you floor it , is it quite consistent at certain rev range? does it still seem to pull hard?

• Like 1

• Admin

Haha, i wish! easy fix ;) i reckon it sounds more like this :P

44 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

ayy do u have the rubber duck exhaust mod by chance?

srs answer sorry not sure bro, i was expecting to hear a nice turbo whistle when i opened the link but it sounds nothing like it at all, i assume that sound is when you floor it , is it quite consistent at certain rev range? does it still seem to pull hard?

Yea, WOT, that was pull from 2nd into 3rd. You can just hear the turbos change over (in 2nd) then the noise seems to come on in the top end of the secondary turbo. No apparent loss of power, pulled hard through the whole thing. Didn't think to check boost pressure at the time, but my pants dyno didn't register any difference

• Admin

that's what i'm hoping, gonna swing by the mechanics in the morning, show them the audio. Will also grab a spray bottle. My worry about spraying with water is what is the danger of spraying a leak that's vacuum at idle? don't want to make things worse for myself (probably worrying about nothing... but hey)

• Admin

Problem solved. Took it into crowes and spoke with one of the guys their and he reckoned it was the gaskets where the pipes under the IC mount to the IC. So took it

off, removed the gaskets and remade with gasket maker, thought I should check the bov at the same time.... lo and behold the bov gasket was F***ed.

fOrrg9a.jpg

Now getting more vacuum, and higher boost. Was only boosting to (just under) 1bar (14psi) now pushing closer to 1.2 bar (17psi). Happy that it was a $14 fix rather than a new turbo....

• Like 2

Was about to say I have a similar issue with my BOV at the moment, just sounds like a duck caller over 17psi.  Took out the BOV and no more ducks, just tssssssssuututututuuuu
What bov you run on yours?

Sent from my MX4 Pro using Tapatalk

It's an HKS replica plumbed back in.  I think if I had run it to atmo I would have found the problem earlier as it would run like balls.

I tightened it up yesterday/today and replaced the vac lines and it seems to be happy enough now.  Runs much stronger.
How do they run generally? No cel etc?

Sent from my MX4 Pro using Tapatalk