Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New car options - 07+ Legacy, or SH Forester

Scoobydoo

I'm tossing up what I want to move to, and there are so many options to consider, so I'm really just thinking out loud and putting my ideas into print so I can make some sense of it all. Beware of a long post hahaha

My main motivation for moving to another car is something with cheaper running costs. You can read this as non-turbo to start with, so not requiring 98 Octane gas, most likely 91. I do a lot of travelling for activities and events, and the cost of gas for the 2.5L STi is a killer. Considering the difference in price can be as much as 50c/l, it's insane!

With all the ads on Trademe, how accurate are the Fuel economy ratings? The newer BM's have 4/6 stars, as well as the SH Foresters. The 3L H6 Manual has a 3/6 rating so I'm wary of that. 

My next requirement is a wagon, so options I'm considering are a late-model BP or BM Legacy, SH Forester, or even possibly an Exiga, but I think the physical size of the Exiga is just a bit too big for my personal liking. XV's are too new so more than I want to spend. I don't like the raised look of Outbacks so have discounted them for this reason. A lowered Outback looks like a standard Legacy haha, so may as well just get a Legacy. Plus Legacies tend to have better spec'd interiors.. correct? SH Foresters also seem to be at a bit higher price point for the comparable year Legacy.

I really did want a manual, but after test driving both an Exiga and a BM Legacy on the weekend, I'm quite happy to consider an Auto, so that opens up more possibilties. I was liking the idea of a 6-speed BP, except for the next point:

The one thing that really puts me off getting a BP wagon, is the retarded integrated stereo / air con system. Are there any versions of the BP (facelift, Spec B, Premium etc etc) that just uses a standard Double DIN stereo that can be swapped out? 08+ or the 09 crossover point with the BM? With that reasoning in mind, that pushes me towards the BM Legacy. Do these come in manual at all, or only Auto / CVT? These are 5-speed boxes though and it seemed quite responsive, and different using paddle shifters.

I note that BM started in 09, and the later model BP wagons also have the proximity key & push-button start that the BM's use, and the BP would likely be cheaper. But still.. stupid stereo.

I'm also assuming that a newer 2L (or 2.5L in the case of the BM) 4 cylinder will use a fair bit less gas than an older 3L H6, even if it's Auto vs Manual? Also there's no requirement to use anything more than 91 octane gas with a later model engine, which are more refined & better equipped to handle the lower octane gas.

So at this point I think I am leaning towards either a BM Legacy, as long as I can find a nice one that's not too spendy... unless there's an option of a late model BP that doesn't use the silly stereo integration. Or an SH Forester thats (again) not too spendy.

Others will have more informed opinions on your broad questions, but on the BP stereo question, you can get an OEM fascia/AC control panel that allows a double din stereo to be installed, they are just hideously expensive asthey only came on certain spec BPs so they are like hens teeth....

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/wiring-kits/auction-1441113260.htm

You also occasionally find one here that already has that kit

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1366150725

And I think the EZ30/36 are higher compression engines so wouldn't run well on 91? though others will know more about this than me... so this would lead you to 2.0/2.5 NA?

Mines an 05 outback so not quite the year or make, but I do find the 2.5N/A a nice compromise between turbo and H6.

Its got enough low torque to be useful when towing, but still economical enough for around town driving.

It gets about 10kms/l for around town/ stop start type traffic (about 8km journey each way to work and about 100kms a week on 80k roads)

On the open road I can get up to 14km/l.

If you can get a late model BP with most of the BM stuff like proximity key and start button, then with the price difference between the BM and the BP you should be able to get the stereo replaced and still come out ahead money wise.

I am not a fan of the BM's as much as the BP style.

• Admin

@Scoobydoo, are you in Auckland? Well come to come sit in my BM :)

For fuel economy I'd probably go 2.5 NA. The 2.0 NA is gutless and boring and the 2L GT and 3L H6 are thirsty at times.

The BM/BR have a much cheaper fascia kit if you find one without the GPS/Screen stock headunit.

BP Legacy are generally cheaper which gives you the extra cash to buy a fascia kit.

Another thing to consider it rear leg room. I found the BL/BP to be quite cramped in the back seat compared to the BE/BH and BM/BR Legacys.

18 minutes ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Another thing to consider it rear leg room. I found the BL/BP to be quite cramped in the back seat compared to the BE/BH and BM/BR Legacys.

Never sat in back in either the BH or BP so never thought about that - always assumed they were the same - kids haven't complained yet - and one is nearly 6 ft and still growing, 

• Admin
Just now, SpeedySub said:

Never sat in back in either the BH or BP so never thought about that - always assumed they were the same - kids haven't complained yet - and one is nearly 6 ft and still growing, 

Must be well behaved kids :)

Jump in the back and compare them. Quite a difference.

1 hour ago, SpeedySub said:

Mines an 05 outback so not quite the year or make, but I do find the 2.5N/A a nice compromise between turbo and H6.

Its got enough low torque to be useful when towing, but still economical enough for around town driving.

It gets about 10kms/l for around town/ stop start type traffic (about 8km journey each way to work and about 100kms a week on 80k roads)

On the open road I can get up to 14km/l.

If you can get a late model BP with most of the BM stuff like proximity key and start button, then with the price difference between the BM and the BP you should be able to get the stereo replaced and still come out ahead money wise.

I am not a fan of the BM's as much as the BP style.

Yeah it's the open road driving that I want to make the most savings on. I'd be super impressed / happy with 14km/l. I get roughly 10km/l with my current Foz, so that would be a 40% increase.

And woopsies I made a mistake in the model... I'm after the wagon so it's a BR, not BM haha.. I got confused with the BRM & BRG chassis codes. Am I right in thinking the BRM version is an updated / facelifted BRG?

I am aware of the fascia kit but I don't want to have that added expense if I can avoid it. So yeah, if a BP is at a low price point, then that's worth considering. But not if I don't have to.

Rear leg room in the SG Forester is pretty crap, so I think any Legacy would be better than that haha. Even my old BG Legacy was better than my current Foz!

1 hour ago, Scoobydoo said:

Am I right in thinking the BRM version is an updated / facelifted BRG

Both BRM (2.5L NA) and BRG (2.0L DIT) are facelifts models.

BR9 is a prefacelift/facelift 2.5L - can be NA (CVT) or turbo (5AT).

5th gen have significantly larger rear part of the cabin, especially leg and head room. Boot is actually a touch shorter than 4th gen (test fitted a 4th gen boot mat in a 5th gen and it was too long). 

Exigas are pretty low on specs, not even HID headlights, basic interior etc. 

• Like 1

We have a 2011 SH Fozzy, with the newer 2.5 cam chain engine, and like it lots.

Around town its not that flash on gas, runs at about 11l/100k, but on the open road its pretty good, somewhere in the low 9's or high 8's/100k, much better than the BH5-GTB ever was.:S

Its also quite grunty, certainly grunty enough to get out of its own way at 80-110 which is whats needed when passing muppets in Yarises, or is that Yari?

Handling wise its fine, slight boat like tendencies, but then I am used to the B4 now.

Never run out of grip or feel like its going to let go, even with the cheap ass Highfly whatever tyres its got on it at the moment, plus its roomy inside and comfy as to travel in.

Also has pretty damn good brakes for a factory soccer Mom car,:P

On 10/17/2017 at 3:14 PM, willisnz said:

Others will have more informed opinions on your broad questions, but on the BP stereo question, you can get an OEM fascia/AC control panel that allows a double din stereo to be installed, they are just hideously expensive asthey only came on certain spec BPs so they are like hens teeth....

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/wiring-kits/auction-1441113260.htm

These facias.. are they are a Subaru part? Could you get them from overseas sites like partsouq or Amayama, if you had the part number? If so.. Does anybody have the part number?

• Admin
37 minutes ago, Scoobydoo said:

These facias.. are they are a Subaru part? Could you get them from overseas sites like partsouq or Amayama, if you had the part number? If so.. Does anybody have the part number?

Pretty sure that's @sobanoodle's listing :P

It is a genuine item but from my research you won't get much change from $800 :/

19 hours ago, evowrx said:

Have you had the forester tuned? Could make a big difference...could also set up a low boost switch so it's not spooling its nuts off every time you touch the loud pedal.

No I haven't, and while that may be true to a point, that's not really an expense that I want to endure

On 10/17/2017 at 2:51 PM, Scoobydoo said:

With that reasoning in mind, that pushes me towards the BM Legacy. Do these come in manual at all, or only Auto / CVT? These are 5-speed boxes though and it seemed quite responsive, and different using paddle shifters.

BM9/BR9 (non-turbo) automatics are CVT. 3.6Rs are always 5EAT, as far as I'm aware - if there are manual ones, they are incredibly rare. 

Avoid the early CVT boxes (2009 and start of 2010 - not sure when the fix was implemented) as they tend to develop issues with the torque converter lockup. A 2.5 paired with the CVT gets very good mileage, our BR9 averages about 8l/100km on long trips.

The Gen 5 6MT is based on the older 5MT and is not the STi-derived facelift Gen 4 box.

What is going on here?  From what I can gather you are willing to spend a lot of money, to try and save money?  How does that even work?

Buying a new car to save money is a complete fallacy, used by many a man to justify a new vehicle to his better half.

Be realistic, if you are buying a new car, it's not to save money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GorGasmSpecB said:

What is going on here?  From what I can gather you are willing to spend a lot of money, to try and save money?  How does that even work?

Buying a new car to save money is a complete fallacy, used by many a man to justify a new vehicle to his better half.

Be realistic, if you are buying a new car, it's not to save money.

What's going on here is that I'm selling my car that, judging by recent interest, for an amount which is likely to be more than what I'll be spending on a replacement. This replacement is also going to be more efficient, and not use as much fuel on long road trips / open road driving. This is irrespective of what fuel it actually uses. So I'll be making money on the sale, plus save money in future running costs.

Not that hard to comprehend?

My 05 6MT 3.0R is currently sitting on 11km/litre doing the commuter run. We're in the process of swapping the other vehicle for a 10 2.5 CVT BM, which I'm expecting to sit up around 13 or 14km/litre. As for 91, just no. They're still the same engines, just better knock correction programmed in. They're gutless pigs on 91. For the extra $2 a tank, run 95 minimum. 

• Like 3