Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy GT brakes on Outback ? Is it enough ?

delta

Hey mates,

I'm looking for feedback/experiences of people that are driving their Legacy or Outback hard or on a racetrack. Which brakes are you using ? How is it working out for you ?

The rotors on my Outback got warped for the 2nd time in a year. I'm trying to think about the best way to fix this and prevent it from reoccurring.

The thing is, I have a dozen of track days experience and I don't think that I am gentle with the brakes. I've got brake fading a few times in winding roads.

I probably need to change my rotors and brake pads and I am thinking that it might be more cost effective to upgrade my brakes at the same time. I've been told that Legacy GT rotors are bigger than Outback ones and that the LGT brake calipers can be bolt straight onto the Outback. Looks like a good and cheap upgrade option, but is it enough ? Will it make a real difference or not that much ?

Of course I'll use good brake pads with that.

4th gen+ LGTs and 3.0ls have 316x30mm rotors with 2 pot sliding calipers front, 290x18mm 1 pot sliders on the rear. I assumed Outbacks were the same but looks like I'm wrong - wth Subaru :S this page has some good info https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265631 as does this one http://northursalia.com/modifications/brakes/gtrear/gtrear.html

Anyways yes, the front and rears should bolt straight on as they did for me on my WRX (might have to remove the backing plate).

I tracked the WRX with these brakes and Znoelli sp500 pads front (supercheap auto specials rear) and it took 3 laps of Taupo to cook them, but they seemed to cool pretty quickly down the dragway straight. Bearing in mind I'm not an experienced track driver and I was being gentle with engine braking because 5 speed - an experienced trackist could probably get another lap or 2 before they started to fade. 

Not sure what effect the extra weight of an Outback would have.

• Admin

Yep. Still got my set available if you’re looking. Gave up trying to sell them as the shipping was getting to the point of being as much as the brakes were listed for themselves.

Rotors had been skimmed a couple of thousand km’s ago but have been sitting for a couple of years now so may need a light sand I guess..

9 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Gave up trying to sell them as the shipping was getting to the point of being as much as the brakes were listed for themselves.

Sending them via Fastway on Trademe should be fairly reasonable. Might have to split into a couple of smaller packages. 

Have sent muffler/rims/suspension that way and ended up being cheaper than Mainfreight ;)

1 hour ago, calebwrx said:

I tracked the WRX with these brakes and Znoelli sp500 pads front (supercheap auto specials rear) and it took 3 laps of Taupo to cook them, but they seemed to cool pretty quickly down the dragway straight. Bearing in mind I'm not an experienced track driver and I was being gentle with engine braking because 5 speed - an experienced trackist could probably get another lap or 2 before they started to fade. 

Not sure what effect the extra weight of an Outback would have.

Wow 3 laps ! Doesn't look much and Znoelli pads shouldn't be too bad from what I've heard !

I'm not sure an experienced track driver would get that much more laps out of it. Good drivers I know don't use engine braking at all and I don't either. My understanding is that it's just not worth it, you might damage the engine/gearbox which are far more expensive than replacing the brakes and the amount of braking you get with your engine is negligible compared to good brakes anyway.

29 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Yep. Still got my set available if you’re looking. Gave up trying to sell them as the shipping was getting to the point of being as much as the brakes were listed for themselves.

Rotors had been skimmed a couple of thousand km’s ago but have been sitting for a couple of years now so may need a light sand I guess..

Where are you based ? I'm not sure which route I want to go yet, but could be an option.

Yeah the first thing I noticed with my Outback is how average the brakes were. The fact that they have the same brakes as the 3rd gen Legacy is crazy cause they weigh a bit more, like 250kg more i think? so it just seems like a bad idea to give it average brakes. Front Brembos bolt strait up and will stop you rather well I find. I've got Brembo rotors and endless pads and its worlds of difference..  Otherwise try some Subaru 4 Pots with good pads and rotors i reckon 

If you are on a bit of a budget go for Subaru 4pots as they will bolt on with your current OEM rotors. 

I've got brembos on my 4th gen legacy and standard size brakes on my 4th gen outback. If you upgrade fluid and pads in the standard setup it give massive improvements. The 316 setup is also a great upgrade with good pads as far thicker discs. Wheel options are far easier to

15 hours ago, delta said:

Wow 3 laps ! Doesn't look much and Znoelli pads shouldn't be too bad from what I've heard !

I'm not sure an experienced track driver would get that much more laps out of it. Good drivers I know don't use engine braking at all and I don't either. My understanding is that it's just not worth it, you might damage the engine/gearbox which are far more expensive than replacing the brakes and the amount of braking you get with your engine is negligible compared to good brakes anyway.

If you can find a wrecked BP/BL at pickapart then its a cheap upgrade, you'll need calipers, brackets and disks. Znoelli's are ~$200 retail at BNT. 

23 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

I’m in Tauranga so probably wouldn’t be that bad. Last guy who bid on them was in CHCH hence the horrendous shipping price.

That's not too far, I could even drive there to try out my new suspensions now that I've done an alignment :)

All good info, thanks guys. Just upgrading the fluid and pads could be enough as long as I don't track it. I'm in no hurry so I'll put some more thought into it.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2017 at 6:50 PM, A_J_T said:

If you are on a bit of a budget go for Subaru 4pots as they will bolt on with your current OEM rotors. 

This won't fix delta's problem, sounds like he's dumping too much heat into his brakes for 294mm rotors and/or current pads to handle.

The 316mm rotor and caliper to suit is found on BL/BP turbo and 3.0R excluding Outbacks and all BM/BR turbo and 3.6R including Outbacks. Tribeca and GRF WRX STi A-Line should in theory have the exact same calipers, but those are harder to get hold of anyway. 

The rotor you need is DR9541V - I stock these but most parts places will be able to cross the number over. Bendix number for the pad to suit is DB1722.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Zenki said:

This won't fix delta's problem, sounds like he's dumping too much heat into his brakes for 294mm rotors and/or current pads to handle.

Yeah I get that, and somewhat agree :) but for the sake of a yarn I thikn 4 pots would still be a good option dollar wise. 4 pots do tend to spread the load more evenly to each side of the rotor and also have larger pads so a little slower heat buildup. That and a little harder bite would hopefully result in less time on the brake pedal freaking out and more time flying through corners ;)

New rotors plus some second hand lame ass looking 2 pot calipers will set you back more than throwing on some 4 pots. 

Sounds like he needs to replace the rotors anyways though so it's not just 4pots on the front and new pads....would that still be cheaper?   Plus you would want matching rear 2 pots so you don't have a mismatched set:)

Interested in the physics of this, I thought the deal was you need large rotors so they cool quicker (bigger surface area), whereas you talking about how quickly the heat up with larger pads?

Just inspected my brakes

Rear pads look fine even though rear rotors are not vented :

wWzex8K.jpg

On the other hand, looks like front pads got a little hot :D

jw4tlQW.jpg

It says Silverline at the back of the pads, is that a brand ? Anybody knows that sh*t ?

On 10/20/2017 at 8:43 AM, Subirex Automotive said:

im wrecking a gt legacy if you need the brakes, i have the whole set atm. for brake pads i would suggest getting EBC Yellow or Blue Stuff. they are really good for track use.

Will keep that in mind, thanks mate.

Regarding EBC, tried it once, it didn't work out so well for me. Here's a pic of yellowstuff after only one track day :

photo13.jpg

Pic is from a mate, needless to say he didn't like EBC either

Edited by delta
  • Like 1

Silverline is a cheap brand sold at Repco iirc, not at all designed for track use lol.

2 hours ago, A_J_T said:

and also have larger pads so a little slower heat buildup.

I actually think the contact area on the pads for the 316mm rotor is bigger than the 4pots.