Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fuel Slosh Mod?

edit : decided not to do this, will find the right surge sock / sponge instead.  feel free to share your experiences anyway if you have them :)

Finally removing my surge tank / external fuel pump - yes very excited not to deal with that crappy noise :)

Slight paranoia kicks in thinking that my car is prone to surge on tight corners when under half a tank full... is this even an issue if I'm not on a track?

Anyway to curb that paranoia somewhat I found this really cheap/easy looking mod. Fuel slosh mod as linked here : http://www.ludicrous-speed.com/wiki/index.php?title=Shanes_impreza_fuel_slosh_mod

Has anyone done this before? I imagine the part (if i could find it) would be super cheap and because it's so easy, i can't imagine it not being worth it.. seems more or less to replicate the rally version or was it spec c edition anti surge internal tank setup, except the genuine part is $1200ish.

Appreciate any feedback from anyone who has done this before or might know where to get the plane fuel tank part, couldn't find it on trademe. Below pics all credit to the article / poster linked above. More pics here http://www.ludicrous-speed.com/g2/main.php/v/OurRides/ShanesRide/mods/06-FuelSurgeTank/

X6Isbcy.jpg

uHHfaUo.jpg

eJOFBAO.jpg

I tried this mod myself on my V7 STI as i was getting really bad surge but it turned out the main problem that the stock fuel sock wasn't used once I put that back on it was a lot better- not perfect but I wasn't tracking the car so wasn't too worried

I actually bought 2x of the plane fuel tank 1x which is brand new If you want it? its the exact same Dubro tank pictured 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TNHSTI said:

I tried this mod myself on my V7 STI as i was getting really bad surge but it turned out the main problem that the stock fuel sock wasn't used once I put that back on it was a lot better- not perfect but I wasn't tracking the car so wasn't too worried

I actually bought 2x of the plane fuel tank 1x which is brand new If you want it? its the exact same Dubro tank pictured 

awesome, messaged you about the tank - thanks :)

After you added the fuel sock did you end up keeping the fuel slosh mod in place also? Ajay just recommended me to find a surge sponge so I'm looking for that too from GSS

edit : oh and by the way @TNHSTI what size tank did you end up comfortably fitting in to the v7 STI? 26oz or 32oz?

6 minutes ago, boon said:

I've had fuel surge a whole once in the entire time I've had the car, and that was going around a roundabout in a big hurry with the needle pointing solidly at E.

I wouldn't stress about it to be honest.

so much mixed info out there, many say its common and others say its not including fellow v7 owners. i think the thing that comes up time and time again is the thing about the fuel sock, and i think i remember you saying you are using the stock one too as THNSTi mentioned above, i'll prioritise finding the right sock then and probably leave the slosh mod. kinda at a point where i need to start making the build easier for maintenance sake rather than more complex ay, haha.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

so much mixed info out there, many say its common and others say its not including fellow v7 owners. i think the thing that comes up time and time again is the thing about the fuel sock, and i think i remember you saying you are using the stock one too as THNSTi mentioned above, i'll prioritise finding the right sock then and probably leave the slosh mod. kinda at a point where i need to start making the build easier for maintenance sake rather than more complex ay, haha.

Just do S*** right the first time and never look at it again. I haven't seen my Aeromotive in-tank since I installed it oooooooh 6 or 7 years ago?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boon said:

Just do S*** right the first time and never look at it again. I haven't seen my Aeromotive in-tank since I installed it oooooooh 6 or 7 years ago?

yeah bro thats generally my idea hence dont usually buy cheap junk in the car with exception of things i know i'll be changing next year when i go e85.  trying to source that same model pump you have. nz performance said their one isn't compatible so i'm asking around a few other shops. definately want aeromotive stealth drop in one if i can get it, otherwise will end up getting dw300 which am a bit skeptical about as their reputation isnt too great.

Talking with GSS performance about the fuel sock / surge sponge which Ajay is recommending .

2 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

awesome, messaged you about the tank - thanks :)

After you added the fuel sock did you end up keeping the fuel slosh mod in place also? Ajay just recommended me to find a surge sponge so I'm looking for that too from GSS

edit : oh and by the way @TNHSTI what size tank did you end up comfortably fitting in to the v7 STI? 26oz or 32oz?

No probs!

No I didn't keep it in place after as it wasn't really an issue unless I was on less than a quarter of a tank

Yeah I used a 32oz tank - bit of a squeeze getting it in the opening but it is possible